What kind of magic and why?

delete this thread if it was brought up before but i could not find it using search.

what kind of magic do you do and why have you been doing it.
I am in to mentalism, card magic, and some flourishing.

I do mentalism because it is a way to connect to mind in a certain way.

I do flourishing because it looks cool.

then I do card magic because i love using cards and all of the things you can do with magic.

so what kind of magic do you do and why?

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
I do really fast Visual Card magic like Brian Tudor
I prefer that kind of magic because you can deliver more tricks than the average magician
While it takes a magician 2 minutes to make a card rise to the top it takes me a second,
In 2 minutes I can Make it rise more than 50 times.
I also like the fact than its patterless
Without MouthGarbage the audience can concentrate on the magic and not your dialog
I like tricks that require sleights,like D&D,Brian Tudor,Ernest Earick kinda Stuff
I stay away from gimmicks or props
I also incorporate Flourishes to my routines

I prefer that kind of magic because you can deliver more tricks than the average magician
While it takes a magician 2 minutes to make a card rise to the top it takes me a second,
Without MouthGarbage the audience can concentrate on the magic and not your dialog
I like tricks that require sleights,like D&D,Brian Tudor,Ernest Earick kinda Stuff
Can you do me a favor? Die.

Ok, I do card magic, and some strret magic. I rarely use gimmicks, and sometimes use props. I also sometimes do coins. I mainly do card because I have been doing it for over 5 years, and it is my specialty.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I do cards mainly. I've been doing them for around 5 years now. I also do coins once in a while. I've been just starting to concentrate mostly close-up stuff. I like to do tricks that require sleight of hand, but unlike Brianation, I like to perform my tricks smooth and laid back, Not so fast you can barely tell whats happening.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
who thinks brianationx has a crush on brian tudor.
there are two reasons why i think that.

1.his name says brian nation.

2.his name ends with an x like in xoxoxo.

coincedence, I think not.:D

I don't
My name is Brian+GenerationX= BrianationX

And I also do some Mentalism
I don't really like it because its sooo... slow and you have to memorize scripts ect.
But I do some anyways
I'm no mentalist and I respect them but I find it Boring
It a challenge for me,I like fast and direct

Jul 22, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
lol Brian Tudor
Quality over quantity.
A good magician will build suspense around the effect in order to make the climax of the trick more exciting.
In less than two minutes your spectator can walk away out of boredom.
Patter is how a good magician connects with their audience.
I don't know if MouthGarbage is even a real word. The dialogue is PART of the magic.
Sometimes simple can be a million times better than complicated.
Why? Because you're too scared?
I actually don't have a problem with this one.

Jun 20, 2008

I thought you could do it fifty two times in one minute?

Anyways, I mostly do card magic right now but I'd like to learn some coin and cups and balls stuff as well. Cards are just so intriguing to me; and I think they've developed to have the greatest potential for appearing magical, with color changes and all. Cups and balls seems like such a good exercise in misdirection (which I admit I could use some work on). I never really liked coin magic until I saw a couple of David Stone's routines, and I found them really impressive.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Back to the topic at hand, I am a mentalist. I had previously done card magic but now I exclusively do mentalism. I find that it gets the audience a lot more involved than any other form of magic. However I still use cards quite a lot in performance because that is what I am use too and I feel so much more comfortable using them.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I don't set limitations on what I do ill do anything appealing to me at that moment. Lipstick on palm,Witness,Floating bill,impromptu scotch and soda etc...
Don't limit yourself to anything because you won't be able to break them.

On a side, Everyone leave BriannationX alone. He is entitled to like who he wants and do what he wants. Show respect and respect shall show itself to you.

-Michael

I do mainly card magic, I started magic with a deck of cards and kept with it. I mainly do close-up so cards fit perfectly for such situations. Also sometimes I'll incorporate mentalism too, I became fascinated by hypnotism but dropped it and mentalism muscled its way into my act while I was learning hypnotism.

Edit: Seeing as my signature says I'm practicing coin routines I should address possible confusion. I have recently been doing coin magic, but if it will replace cards will be unknown until later.

~PaCo

May 8, 2008
England
Card magic. I picked a book up, learnt to double lift and left it.
After leaving it alone I met someone at college who was into card magic and started. The modern approach, without elaborate stories, by Dan and Dave and Daniel Madison really appealed to me. Cards seem to have a certain style and finesse.
Flourishing also because lets be honest, watch Dan and Dave's stuff and you'll want to be like that. Also Magic needs an audience to gain that feeling of satisfaction. To me, Cardistry can be singular.

-S

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
I don't think calling patter "mouthgarbage" is showing respect towards magicians that use patter.

You can't deny some magicians patter (usually amateurs) is just absolute ****. "In every deck there is a rocket ship card. So pick a card...OMG u picked teh rocketship card now watch as I launch the rocketship so it rises to the top of the deck a bunch of times lolz" etc. Either way he's allowed to perform the type of magic he wants and if he entertains his spectators, I see no problem. And if he's performing Earnest Earick stuff then he has to be pretty good, his stuff is *&$$!#@&$ hard. I'm starting to find Brianation less and less annoying and the people that feel the need to "put him in his place" more and more.

I perform cards, a little bit of coins and mentalism. I like the Armando Lucero style of close-up and performing where just his hand motions in itself are a work of art. Not to mention the trick itself is phoenominal.

Nov 8, 2007
Cards are my main weapon of choice. I don't do anything flashy--hardly any flourishes. My taste in card magic is pretty simple and direct. (I just bought Dangerous Vol. 1 and right now I'm IN LOVE with both Bad Influence and Angle Zero. Both are right up my alley!)

Aside from cards I tend to incorporate stuff that seems off the cuff. Most of my patter with non-card objects is pretty much, "Hand me that ____, I'll show you something." I like the idea that the spec believes he is experiencing spontaneous magic (even when it's not).

I also tend to stick with effects that require few gimmicks. When I walk out the door the only things I grab are my deck and handful of change. Everything else is in my wallet or impromptu. On rare occasions I'll throw an extra trick in my pocket.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results