What kind of move did you invent?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Well said. I stand on the shoulders of those that came before me and use their creations and ideas to create... magic. I use others moves with my plot and my patter to show my audiences what is impossible.

I suspect that learning a sleight takes less than 10% of the time as inventing one. While other folks invented (or re-invented) a move, I learned at least 10 sleights.

Also, how many of the moves you've invented do you use in a effect (other than a "look I can find your card in a really unique way") with patter (other than than the typical "say-do-see" explanation of what is happening)?

Perfect way to go about it. And this probably makes up most of my time in magic.

But having limited resources at my disposal (just under 20 books, while all good...sometimes they don't have the answer) and unlimited problems when trying to create the effect I want to be exactly how I want it, I have to play with cards until ideas come. Thankfully I've stumbled my way into some effective moves/controls that my brick and mortar shop owner can always tell me the real name of.

I create out of necessity, and out of my empty wallet. My card to wallet was invented for 2 reasons 1)over half the card to wallets are no palms, and I don't like the way they're done (Josh Jay's is pretty nice, but I don't like the premise) and the other half cost 40+ dollars. So I found a way to cleanly pull out my wallet, open it with empty hands, and then pull a card out. (from 3 different places after I played with the idea more)

And I often take longer scripting an effect than I do coming up with a method. I have a few pages in my magic notebook that are just premises and ideas that could go with tricks, if I can find the proper trick.

And yes, I'm a little cranky this morning.

I was a little cranky too, then I went back to sleep because I realized I didn't have anything to do today. Sorry if you couldn't enjoy that luxury.

And I know you probably weren't calling me out, I'm just bored and felt like explaining, and I might be in the minority.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
But having limited resources at my disposal (just under 20 books, while all good...sometimes they don't have the answer) and unlimited problems when trying to create the effect I want to be exactly how I want it, I have to play with cards until ideas come. Thankfully I've stumbled my way into some effective moves/controls that my brick and mortar shop owner can always tell me the real name of.

I understand where you are coming from and wasn't calling you out. My post was more a commentary on those folks who try to create for the sake of creating.

As you said, most of the effort needs to go into stringing the sleights together into an effect and scripting and routining that effect. It is the effect that matters, not the method.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
As you said, most of the effort needs to go into stringing the sleights together into an effect and scripting and routining that effect. It is the effect that matters, not the method.

There are also people who create to make effects easier for the magician, but in the process make the effect much weaker. The original Out Of This World is probably one of the (if not the) strongest method for the effect. It's simple, direct, and amazing. Since then there are quite a few variations on the market. Some of them add subtleties that slightly help the effect, but over complicate procedure; others simplify the procedure in one way or another, but take the impact away from the trick.

Creating to have your name on something, usually an attempt at money or fame, is not the same as creating because you want to accomplish something. Most of the material that is released from top magicians are effects that they've been working on for years. Creating a trick isn't hard, testing it for 5, 10 or even 20 years without wanting to sell it is probably very hard.

Jun 2, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've created a control that was very similar to the Orbit control and I've worked with same palm method in that new Eric Goldfarb Dananddave on demand. Funny thing is I worked on these methods over 2 years ago. Go figure.

Dec 10, 2008
tricks

I came up with a dollar bill vanish where theres four and then theres three:D and a control from the deck either on top or directly in palm and a hat and deck rouitine:cool: but lol my friend and i have prediction player written down with the same method from like four months ago lol so thats some stuff.:)

Aug 3, 2010
NY
Hey

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but this post has caught my eye. I've been doing magic for almost 2 years now, and I've created quite a few sleights/tricks on my own.

I've created a changed where I throw the deck from one hand to the other and the card visually changes without cover (it isn't a deck flip, as some people on other forums asked).

I've created a change where a card protruding from the deck in the middle is rotated and changes immediately.

I've created a unique way to steal their card for a sandwich effect.

I've created a unique cut that can be used either as a flourish or for the key card principle.

I've created a visual card-through-card...but it needs more work on it.

I've created a trick card transposition involving 3 cards that is pretty visual.

I know it sounds like a lot, so it may sound like I haven't put a lot of thought into them, but yes I have, but I haven't perfected all of them that I have listed. I put a lot of thought into my own creations and look throughout the internet to see if it was already created. :D

Jul 28, 2010
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but this post has caught my eye. I've been doing magic for almost 2 years now, and I've created quite a few sleights/tricks on my own.

I've created a changed where I throw the deck from one hand to the other and the card visually changes without cover (it isn't a deck flip, as some people on other forums asked).

I've created a change where a card protruding from the deck in the middle is rotated and changes immediately.

I've created a unique way to steal their card for a sandwich effect.

I've created a unique cut that can be used either as a flourish or for the key card principle.

I've created a visual card-through-card...but it needs more work on it.

I've created a trick card transposition involving 3 cards that is pretty visual.

I know it sounds like a lot, so it may sound like I haven't put a lot of thought into them, but yes I have, but I haven't perfected all of them that I have listed. I put a lot of thought into my own creations and look throughout the internet to see if it was already created. :D

Hello! Welcome to the forums! It sounds as though you've been busy creating. Well make the most out of your creations!

As for me, ive come up with my own version of the triumph routine. A card is selected, signed, returned to the deck. Then the usual triumph routine where the face up cards are shuffled into the face down cards. I do a color change i came up with to fix the cards. One card is shown to be the only card face up, its the card with their signature. But when it is turned over, it has a different colored back than the rest of the deck.

Aug 3, 2010
NY
Hello! Welcome to the forums! It sounds as though you've been busy creating. Well make the most out of your creations!

As for me, ive come up with my own version of the triumph routine. A card is selected, signed, returned to the deck. Then the usual triumph routine where the face up cards are shuffled into the face down cards. I do a color change i came up with to fix the cards. One card is shown to be the only card face up, its the card with their signature. But when it is turned over, it has a different colored back than the rest of the deck.

Thank you! I am enjoying my stay here. I have been very busy with all of my creations and am now currently trying to put them together, or possibly submit one...

That triumph routine sounds nice too! :)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Usually the 'moves' are just mild handling changes to make it fit me better.

Two things I have created though and to my knowledge are original to me are my peek and my centre tear. They have a huge advantage over everything I have tried in the past.

I've come up with a few things but I am most proud of my work on the four elements that Im currently working on, which is creating water from nothing, setting a glass of tested water on fire, turning soil into a solid stone and making air a solid material then letting it dissapate again.

Big Thanks to RikAllen for reviewing my first bundle of close up tricks I sent him. If you would like a look at this first lot just PM me and I'll send you a copy.

Simon_Magic

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 20, 2010
A snap change variation that leaves you extremely clean and has practically no angle problems (except for from straight below). I barely want to call it a variation because it really is nothing like it but I discovered it while playing around with the snap change so I assume it's fairly similar.

Also a face down color change, if you will. A single card is shown and placed on a table. Spec turns over and it's a different card.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results