What makes a good magician?

A magician who is able to connect on an emotional level with the spectators is a true magician. You have to be able to strike emotion in your spectator to truly be a magician. It's not the trick, it's the connection between a performer and a total stranger. It's not easy to truly connect with a complete random person you've never met, and that's what makes magic so special. We have the ability and skill to be able to accomplish that.

That makes a true magician in my eyes.

Mitchell

Jul 13, 2009
Found another, and I am only in the 300s

I hope some of y'lls rusty gears are starting to move in the intelligent brains I know you all have. If not all is lost.

What makes a good magician? Is it his handling of the cards and the coins? Is it his presentation of the trick? Is it the magicians ability to seemingly get inside our heads and perform "otherworldly" effects that defy the laws of science?

For me, it is the magicians ability to entertain. Lets say that I'm watching a card magician performing some of the most visual flourishes and doing the most impossible tricks imaginable, but he's presenting the whole effect as thought it was a nuisance for him, then I'll walk away saying "Yeah, it was alright. Could have been better..." But If I see a magician performing even the simplest Ambitious Card Routine or coin vanish, but the entire act he has a great personality, he's interacting with the audience, his patter is perfect and he really seems to be enjoying the show himself, then I'm more likely to walk away saying "Wow! Did you see that! That was UNBELIEVEABLE!"

The point that I'm trying to get across is this: Is it the trick that makes the magician, or the magician that makes the trick?

So many people these days will rush out to buy the newest single trick dvd that comes out, practice it once or twice because they think it's easy and "perform", but even though it's an amazing trick, the performance comes out tasting like an undercooked steak. They think that since they have an amazing effect, the whole routine will pretty much work itself out, and so they put little effort into making the effect look good, because they think that the trick will do all of the work for them, and they will get all the applause at the end.

What magicians (both young and old, new and experienced) should realize is that your performance of the trick is what makes it. I'll use the metaphor of steak again, the trick is the steak of your entree, and your performance is the potatoes, gravy and seasoning of the whole thing.
In my opinion the performance is what not only defines the routine, but it defines the magician.

So my advice would be this: Work on your routine, instead of rushing out and buying the newest, most glamours thing that hits the market, you'll be amazed what your performance will do for a trick. I've done the most basic of transpositions and color changes, and other such tricks, but still amazed people because of the presentation.
Your body language, patter, attitude, and personality will all help this. Be confident with your routine, even if you are scared to death that you just might flash that DL or that they might see what your doing with your other hand. I'm an actor, so I can't say this for everybody, but when I perform I put on my actors face. I pronounce my words very clearly, I speak in a loud voice, but don't shout, I keep my head and shoulders held high and I keep a smile on my face, even if I get a heckler,and this works for me, and it just might work for you.
Now, this advice doesn't work for everybody, since the very idea of acting scares people, but if I had to give one piece of advice it would be: Act natural. If you're a funny guy, be funny in your routine, make jokes, laugh with the spectators. If you're a serious person, be serious, act as though you have psychic powers. WHATEVER YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.
Most importantly however, have fun, because if you're having a good time, the audience will too.

(This was my first essay, so sorry if I rambled on and on ;))
whats makes a good magician is his/her art of deception and character uniqueness.....you can know how to do every trick in the book, be pretty entertaining, if your art of deception is not good, then you are not a good magician.....also character is key, being yourself is good enough....not anyone else..if it resembles then fine...but if its a carbon copy...its not good....as long as the character is you....ur fine...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results