What makes a GOOD opening trick?

You look at all the tricks coming out and while they are great some people such as myself look for certain tricks that can be good for an opening, middle, or closer. Some tricks look amazing but when you could you really put it into a routine, I'm sure many could find a way to put in a special trick but personally I love a strong flowing routine that comes naturally and not forced.

So what makes a GOOD opening trick? Could it be the quick appeal or strong influence it has so soon over an unsuspecting audience? Just something to discuss on what not only opening trick looks like but opinions on what they set up and open up for you for the rest of your routine.

Jul 8, 2008
The hardest trick is probably introducing yourself lol. I'm sure once you introduce yourself professionaly, they will watch whatever else it is that you have. To me, the best opening effect though, is something that is fairly quick, fun, full of humor, and out of the spectators hands. It is weird enough that some strange guy randomly approaches a customer's table and starts talking with them, and they don't really know who you are or if you're legit, so to break the tension, you want them laughing and having fun during the quick opening effect. Chances are, most groups won't allow you to borrow anything from them until you have proved legitimacy and you let them know that everything will be OKAY. They will even be hesitant to lend their hands to hold your balls...

Like the answer, many people have a tendency to worry so much on introductions. For walkaround I only do fishing unless I notice someone attractive walking by then I usually start off with a quick and clever trick and joke.

I'm sure many people have heard the phrase "don't worry about what other people think about you". While this is very true there is something in the back of many people's minds that will not allow people to introduce themselves to random strangers, talk to unknown people, etc. The one thing I have learned is not to think about what they will be thinking about and instead quickly go into it with a clear head. I personally use fishing technique since I rather have somebody genuinely interested by themself rather than me try to introduce something, although there is nothing wrong with that.

Then once the confidence builds you will be able to do many things second nature when before you couldn't even think twice about doing them.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well from my expirences and things that have been taught by my mentor who's been in the magic buisness 30-40 years is it isnt just about the effect, the presentation, or confidence. Its whether people will like you, meaning people including animals can get vibes or sense certain attributes. Of course introducing yourself is key, in the beginning and on occasion the end of your routine (if doing walk around/resturant.) Engaging with all the laymen will give them a feeling of interaction. Even on David Stone's dvd, he states just that. The presentation comes nxt, then the effect. Remember if they ask questions, you've done your job.

Aug 5, 2009
Opener.

For me, what works best as an opener is something that confuses the audience, rather than wows them. Something like the two card monte where the cards change in their hand or Blindsided by Oz Pearlman where the whole deck changes color. When the audience is confused like that, you have their attention to find out what going on, and you can then go into any other effect you want.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
For close up something quick and visual. I used to use a laser pointer and dlites LONG time ago. Sometimes I do my Foiled Again effect for them, just to get them used to my style. It really depends on you and your performing personality.

Jul 9, 2008
i have held a job at a beach rest. that was really great to work for and the people were supportive. The best opener i used was "handshake" (i believe that was the name) from the stained collection by ellusionist. Just check it out and you will see why. You should also check out The Real Work on Rest. and Bars by Jay Sankey. There is TONS of great info on that dvd. He states that upon walking up to a table there better be magic within the first 10-15 sec. That means it must be fast and visual. Grab there attention and it will be easier to get into the routine from there. Also David Stone has a 2 volume set on table hopping magic called Real Secrets of Magic. Both are good for finding that perfect opener.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results