What should I get...

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
Hey guys,
I consider myself to be pretty new to flourishing, but not a complete beginner. I have show off with cards, but did not like it at all. I can do charliers, butterfly cut, flip backs, hot shot cut, fans, and some simple sybil. What would you guys reccommend I get to further my knowledge of flourishing, I don't want something to far ahead of me, but I don't want something that is too beginner.
Thanks in advance for the advice!
Adam

Sep 1, 2007
what you should get

you really only have to get one thing: the encyclopedia of playing card flourishes. its expensive but the value is greater than anything else ... check out www.flourishman.com

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
I didn't like showoff with cards because they focused too much on the simple sleights, and just rushed through the more difficult sleights which IMHO had more potential for me. And I believe some of the moves were not taught correctly. Just my .02

Adam

Xtreme Beginners. Now, DO NOT LET THE TITLE FOOL YOU just because it's got "beginners" in the name. If your fairly you'll learn a lot and even if you've been doing it for awhile it is a great DVD to further knowledge. There are a lot of basics that just aren't taught or gone over and sure there is stuff here that you can pick up in less than 5 minutes but their great and people love to see them. For the price it's not that much of an investment as much as the Encyclopedia and certainly covers the cost pretty easily.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
you really only have to get one thing: the encyclopedia of playing card flourishes. its expensive but the value is greater than anything else ... check out www.flourishman.com

I agree.

basically what the above two have said...also why didn't you like showoff with cards, it's such a great DVD

It teaches almost every move incorrectly, taught most of them without permission, and is made by a company with a terrible and unethical reputation.

Brian Tudor teaching. Enough said.

Brian Tudor did not make Showoff with Cards. This is a common confusion, because Brian Tudor made two videos, one called "Showoff" and the other called "Showoff 2", these are NOT to be confused with "Showoff with Cards", they are completely different. Brian Tudor had nothing to do with Showoff with Cards.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
Surrey.U.K

He's right, there is tons to be learnt from this book, just look at the books index on the site. I would recommend The System also, some people don't like the teaching but with what you can already do to me it seems the next logical step.

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, I'm kind of on the same level as him. My next purchase will either be Generation Extreme, or the system. I'm leaning towards the system because I'm familier with the bucks teaching, and I heard brian tudors teaching is horrible. Whats with it with fllourishing dvds. Almost all of them have some kind of flaw? Whatever, what do you guys think I should get?

Extreme Beginners, The Trilogy and The System are enough to last you for a long long time. Extreme beginners gives you alot of non-cutting flourishes, the Trilogy provides some hand holding complex flourishes while the System offers a number of great flourishes that also teach a lot of great concepts that can be used to make your own flourishes and stuff. You don't even really need this much material, but you can't say you've completed all that without being of a pretty high skill level.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
I think the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes and Xtreme Beginnerz are two of the best starting resources.

I actually couldn't tell you which one is best for somebody starting out... I started with the encyclopedia, which does have many more moves than XB if I recall correctly, but XB you get the liberty of seeing people do it.

Take a look at the table of contents of the encyclopedia and XB and see which things you'd rather learn. Obviously XB is much more affordable, but the encyclopedia I think has more moves and you could take it anywhere (does not require a TV and a DVD player!), and you have immediate access to any move you want.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes and Xtreme Beginnerz are two of the best starting resources.

I actually couldn't tell you which one is best for somebody starting out... I started with the encyclopedia, which does have many more moves than XB if I recall correctly, but XB you get the liberty of seeing people do it.

Take a look at the table of contents of the encyclopedia and XB and see which things you'd rather learn. Obviously XB is much more affordable, but the encyclopedia I think has more moves and you could take it anywhere (does not require a TV and a DVD player!), and you have immediate access to any move you want.

The reason I recommend Xtreme Beginnerz first is usually because it goes on a gradient. XB, being a DVD, is VERY easy to learn from, and teaches plenty of basics. After XB I almost always recommend the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes, because it's even easier to learn from now that you have a foundation in manipulation from Xtreme Beginnerz. :)

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
... My next purchase will either be Generation Extreme, or the system. I'm leaning towards the system because I'm familier with the bucks teaching, and I heard brian tudors teaching is horrible.

this is kind of really wrong... "the system" has no teaching at all.

brian tudor teaches fast, but at least he's teaching. apparantly the buck twins "The System" of learning flourishes means clicking pause a lot :D

Sep 3, 2007
this is kind of really wrong... "the system" has no teaching at all.

brian tudor teaches fast, but at least he's teaching. apparantly the buck twins "The System" of learning flourishes means clicking pause a lot :D

Maybe if you were good it would be teaching.

Sep 1, 2007
Surrey.U.K
Maybe if you were good it would be teaching.

In my opinion you dont have to be good to learn from this dvd. This is the first dvd i learned flourishes from as a complete beginner, its all about your commitment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I asked Vinnie, but he hasn't answered. Does the system have text? Or does it just show the moves a buch of times.

Sep 1, 2007
It just shows clips of the moves over and over.

too bad I'm not "good" or else I could have learned from it... lawl

there's no over the shoulder view also so you have to kind of mentally reverse what you're seeing on screen. you're basically getting the same quality of teaching by watching "spring jam 03" in slow motion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results