What would YOU do?

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
I'm going to be performing an 8-10 minute routine at the Magic Castle for about 40 boy scouts and their dads. It's by far the biggest audience I've performed for, and I'm nervous as hell! I was told that we'd be performing at the Inner Circle. The question is, if you were in my position, what tricks would you do? I've got an idea of what I might perform, but I'm curious as to what you guys would do.

By the way, do you have any tricks and tips for audiences of this size? What should I do, and not do? All help is appreciated :)

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
I'm going to be performing an 8-10 minute routine at the Magic Castle for about 40 boy scouts and their dads. It's by far the biggest audience I've performed for, and I'm nervous as hell! I was told that we'd be performing at the Inner Circle. The question is, if you were in my position, what tricks would you do? I've got an idea of what I might perform, but I'm curious as to what you guys would do.

By the way, do you have any tricks and tips for audiences of this size? What should I do, and not do? All help is appreciated :)

Another "hey, I just got a gig... what tricks should I do" post. I've NEVER seen this question asked before. Why would you accept a gig without knowing what you will be doing? It seems that once a week there is a post where someone asks "what tricks should I do." Everyone wants to know the "best trick." Every trick that has ever been invented doesn't fit everyone's style / personality, so its pointless to ask strangers what tricks YOU should do. Why not just rely on your personality and what ever materiel you already know? It's sad that the moderators don't care about stupid posts that begin with "....tell me what tricks I should do." It is also sad that I will be the bad person on this forum post rather than the annoying people who keep asking "whats the best trick for me to perform."

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I try to keep this place positive but I agree with Steve, why take the gig if you don't have material or know how to structure a performance?

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
I try to keep this place positive but I agree with Steve, why take the gig if you don't have material or know how to structure a performance?

I agree with being positive... but it's SO HARD to do that when you see the same "what tricks should I do" posts EVERY WEEK. And often you can predict who will post them. Like this one.

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
I know what tricks I'm doing, I was curious was you would do in my position. Not everyone can perform at the Magic Castle, even if it isn't formal. It is not a formal gig, and was organized by our magic club leader. I'm not the only one there. In fact, there are about 8 magicians there. Look, I'm only a teenager, and this is a big opportunity, to good to pass up. It's not for money, just for fun! I'm sorry if my first post was confusing, when I read it over it sounded exactly like a "what tricks should i do" post. In fact, it kind of was. I meant to ask if performing the tricks I had in mind was a good idea, but I didn't post what the tricks were! I was thinking my handling of Modern Times to introduce the cards, then Airtight, by Jay Sankey. I didn't know for sure, it was just an idea, which is why I posted this. RANT OVER

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
Gosh, I'm an idiot. I wish you could delete your own threads on here. When I clicked submit post, I realized that this was a bad idea. sorry :(

SteveF

Elite Member
Nov 3, 2010
Gosh, I'm an idiot. I wish you could delete your own threads on here. When I clicked submit post, I realized that this was a bad idea. sorry :(

At least you're willing to admit it. Hopfully this is the last "Tell me what tricks to do" post.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Guys, he's not just asking for tricks he should do. He's also asking for some tips for performing for a crowd that big, because he's never done it before.

Make sure your material is age-appropriate. I'm not sure how old the boy scouts are, but that should influence your material and overall attitude up on stage. Everything else is pretty basic for anything performance-wise. Do tricks that can be seen by the audience easily, and try to stay away from tricks that everyone has seen, or at least try to change it up a little.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You are going to have to find material that suits the age of the BoyScouts and their fathers. That being said, you may want to have some type of classic effect but with your own new twist on it. Don't forget, entertaining is what you are doing, not just standing and delivering tricks. You need good interaction, some humor perhaps, and time management.

If you only have 8-10 minutes I would say 3 effects would be plenty if presented correctly with interesting patter. Do not try to "cram" 8 things into an 8-10 minute routine...more is not always better. Quality over quantity.

I don't really know your style or level of performance so I am not sure what effects to recommend. I wouldn't just do card effects though, definitely change it up and do something different with coins, or rubber bands, or rope, or a balloon. Nobody wants to watch card trick after card trick after card trick.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I don't know what the "Inner Circle" is, the Castle has seen a lot of changes & physical expansion since my days there, but what you need to realize is that you are already a part of that environment, there's nothing really to sweat.

I will point out however, if you don't already have a set why did you agree to do the bit?

I'll assume you have material you've been doing for a while, smooth it out and just do it as you normally would

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
maybe you can try to link your tricks you know and ara comfortable with to a boy scout theme
like earning merits and ranks and the like
maybe a rope/knot routine involving an audience member= have them demonstrate some Boy scout knots and aties then proceed to a cut and restored rope or knot off rope routine
additionally im knot (pun intented) sure whether or not u do fire magic but think of the possibilities, like how to build and cook things on a fire (dove pan)
u get the idea the possibilities are limitless
if you need any more help just send me a message

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
maybe you can try to link your tricks you know and ara comfortable with to a boy scout theme
like earning merits and ranks and the like
maybe a rope/knot routine involving an audience member= have them demonstrate some Boy scout knots and aties then proceed to a cut and restored rope or knot off rope routine
additionally im knot (pun intented) sure whether or not u do fire magic but think of the possibilities, like how to build and cook things on a fire (dove pan)
u get the idea the possibilities are limitless
if you need any more help just send me a message
Do not Meddle in the affairs of wizards for u are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results