What's the most advanced card sleight?

The Anti-Faro

all the others are not really advance,
clip shift- bring card from bottom to top
raise rise- push one card in and push one card out.
diving board double- bending the card and releasing it to launch it in the air.

Granted those moves are hard, at first, to learn. Once you know them they become more and more easy.

The anti-faro is "advanced" because of what is happening. You are springing the cards, and using air pressure and the shape of the cards as they fall to make them land alternating to be able to do a reverse of a faro.
Even if you learn how to do it, you will never get it down every time because it it is a science that has not been perfected yet.

P.S. this is my opinion, I'm not saying that what i just said is the only answer.

Perhaps I missed something, but I actually don't believe that was the literal point of the original post. Of course there are countless of extreme sleights in card magic. Of course there are knuckle-busting techniques and knacky moves that require years of practice and constant experimentation. But is that what actually makes a sleight "advanced?" Is that what makes a move difficult to execute?

Also... if the world's most advanced sleight is one that you don't ever plan on using, or even use regularly at all, is it really that difficult? This is why I believe moves like the double lift and pass are more challenging. They're moves that everyone use all the time, but rarely do well or invisibly at all. Even the most dubious methods are often tainted by poor technique and bad timing. The simplest sleights are often the most difficult to perfect among experienced card handlers.

RS.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The Anti-Faro

all the others are not really advance,
clip shift- bring card from bottom to top
raise rise- push one card in and push one card out.
diving board double- bending the card and releasing it to launch it in the air.

Granted those moves are hard, at first, to learn. Once you know them they become more and more easy.

The anti-faro is "advanced" because of what is happening. You are springing the cards, and using air pressure and the shape of the cards as they fall to make them land alternating to be able to do a reverse of a faro.
Even if you learn how to do it, you will never get it down every time because it it is a science that has not been perfected yet.

P.S. this is my opinion, I'm not saying that what i just said is the only answer.

Exhibit A.

The simplest sleights are often the most difficult to perfect among experienced card handlers.

Yes! Zammo! I like this guy :)

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
The most advanced card sleights do not have to be difficult at all. They are simply the ones that are hardest to perfect.
And that's why I strongly believe that the Double Lift is the most advanced move in card magic. I can be fooled by a deck switch, or a good colour change, but hardly ever am I fooled by a double lift.

Dec 16, 2008
Yes! Zammo! I like this guy :)

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
The most advanced card sleights do not have to be difficult at all. They are simply the ones that are hardest to perfect.
And that's why I strongly believe that the Double Lift is the most advanced move in card magic. I can be fooled by a deck switch, or a good colour change, but hardly ever am I fooled by a double lift.

But u are a magician not laymen.
I don't know if card-cheat technique is mentioned here. How about center-deal. Damn hard......

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Perhaps I missed something, but I actually don't believe that was the literal point of the original post. Of course there are countless of extreme sleights in card magic. Of course there are knuckle-busting techniques and knacky moves that require years of practice and constant experimentation. But is that what actually makes a sleight "advanced?" Is that what makes a move difficult to execute?

Also... if the world's most advanced sleight is one that you don't ever plan on using, or even use regularly at all, is it really that difficult? This is why I believe moves like the double lift and pass are more challenging. They're moves that everyone use all the time, but rarely do well or invisibly at all. Even the most dubious methods are often tainted by poor technique and bad timing. The simplest sleights are often the most difficult to perfect among experienced card handlers.

RS.
I'll tell you what's difficult is reading that damn font your using! :D

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
the way that this thread is going in its definition of "advanced", I'd have to say that the break is the most advanced sleight.
To apply it perfectly and invisibly would take so much understanding, audience management, timing, and misdirection.
And that's what the audience notices a lot of the time, or assumes you do. They just assume you hold a gap at where you put the card in.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
But u are a magician not laymen.
I don't know if card-cheat technique is mentioned here. How about center-deal. Damn hard......

Are you trying to say that you have NEVER been caught out on your double lift?

A little hard to believe to be honest...

The double lift is renowned for being the most exposed slight. There is a large majority of people that know lifting two cards to look as one is something that a magicain can do. I personally was told this when I was a small child way before I started to pursue or see magic.

It is pretty ignorant to believe otherwise...

Matt

Reactions: Karo-K54
Sep 1, 2007
England
One handed stud center deal...

with jumbo cards....

made of metal....

sharp metal....

Seriously though, you don't need to know which is the most advanced sleight, however you define it, not only because even if you came to a decision on what is meant by "most advanced" it would likely still be entirely subjective. You should just concern yourself with the sleights you need to accomplish the tricks you want to do in an efficient manner.

Tom

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Bijlogg, I completely agree - but I think it does good for a magician to think about the topic and decide for themselves anyway. Even if they never use said sleight, again, as you said, however it's defined, we need more people to think about magic in general.. Besides which, I don't think the topic was created to actually decide on one sleight (finding it out, per se) so much as to generate thoughts and discussion.

Sep 1, 2007
Exhibit A.

lol....

Exhibit B.

lol...

Are you trying to say that you have NEVER been caught out on your double lift?

A little hard to believe to be honest...

The double lift is renowned for being the most exposed slight. There is a large majority of people that know lifting two cards to look as one is something that a magicain can do. I personally was told this when I was a small child way before I started to pursue or see magic.

It is pretty ignorant to believe otherwise...

Matt

Agreed. Anyone could go youtube and type "magic trick tutorial" or "how to do magic tricks" and the first 50 videos include how to do a double lift. It's terrible.

And by the way, laymen aren't stupid. They're just magicians who don't know any sleights

So true... never thought of it that way.

One handed stud center deal...

with jumbo cards....

made of metal....

sharp metal....

Seriously though, you don't need to know which is the most advanced sleight, however you define it, not only because even if you came to a decision on what is meant by "most advanced" it would likely still be entirely subjective. You should just concern yourself with the sleights you need to accomplish the tricks you want to do in an efficient manner.

Tom

haha very nice..

Reactions: Karo-K54
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results