What's your reason for performing card magic ?

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
My reason is that i used to be a shy guy and i found out that when i started performing for random people , they started to know me and they told other people what i do which made more people know me ...

So i was just curious ... what your reason for performing card magic .... ?

Mar 21, 2009
tO BE HONEST I WAS WATCHING CELEBRACADABRA I THINK THATS THE NAME AND ORDERED ELLUSIONISTS ADD. IM SO HAPPY I FOUND THEORY11 B/C ELLUSIONIST IS MORE ABOUT MAKING MONEY {QUANTITY NOT QUALITY} AND THERE WASNT ANYTHING I LIKED UNTIL LAST SUMMER MESSING AROUND ON THE COMPUTER AND WATCHING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE AND I TYPED IN MAGIC PACKAGE AND ONE OF THEM SAID THEY GOT THEIRS FROM THEORY11 SO I CHECKED IT OUT AND THIS HOW IM HERE AND PLUS TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I LOVE GOING TO GOING TO RANDOM PEOPLE AND TALKING TO THEM AND IM ONLY 15:p

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
My reason is that i used to be a shy guy and i found out that when i started performing for random people , they started to know me and they told other people what i do which made more people know me ...

FYI that doesnt necessarily tell me about why card magic.
Just performing in general.

May 3, 2008
tO BE HONEST I WAS WATCHING CELEBRACADABRA I THINK THATS THE NAME AND ORDERED ELLUSIONISTS ADD. IM SO HAPPY I FOUND THEORY11 B/C ELLUSIONIST IS MORE ABOUT MAKING MONEY {QUANTITY NOT QUALITY} AND THERE WASNT ANYTHING I LIKED UNTIL LAST SUMMER MESSING AROUND ON THE COMPUTER AND WATCHING VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE AND I TYPED IN MAGIC PACKAGE AND ONE OF THEM SAID THEY GOT THEIRS FROM THEORY11 SO I CHECKED IT OUT AND THIS HOW IM HERE AND PLUS TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I LOVE GOING TO GOING TO RANDOM PEOPLE AND TALKING TO THEM AND IM ONLY 15:p

Wow. If you're going to talk in ALL CAPS and just reply to threads with stuff that doesn't contribute at all to the thread I recommend you leave. Also, you seem like one of those people who just discovered magic through that terrible show and now you search youtube to try and find out how to do magic tricks that people put time and effort into for free.

May 26, 2009
Wow. If you're going to talk in ALL CAPS and just reply to threads with stuff that doesn't contribute at all to the thread I recommend you leave. Also, you seem like one of those people who just discovered magic through that terrible show and now you search youtube to try and find out how to do magic tricks that people put time and effort into for free.

What do you mean by contribute ... do u think people like us is gonna sit on our *** trying to revolutionize the art of card magic ? This is a forum ... you can post whatever you want, if you would like to "contribute" you wouldn't even be on this page.

May 3, 2008
I'm not saying anything about revolutionizing magic. All I'm saying is, the person started this thread to ask a question, and this user made a post that had absolutely nothing to do with it. The point of a thread is to start a topic of discussion and that had nothing to do with it...it was also a pretty obnoxious post too. There's no need for all caps.

What do you mean by contribute ... do u think people like us is gonna sit on our *** trying to revolutionize the art of card magic ? This is a forum ... you can post whatever you want, if you would like to "contribute" you wouldn't even be on this page.

Way to take that out of context. Contributing means answering the question that was posted not regurgitate the same answer and talk about celebracadabra in all caps. If you could post w/e you wanted then there wouldn't be moderators or rules.

To contribute, I perform card magic as gambling demonstrations now. Show them what can happen when you they are getting scammed.

Mar 28, 2009
Malaysia
The reason for me to perform card magic is just to entertain friends, family members as well as complete strangers, not for $. I just wanna make them amazed and appreciate the beauty of this art, like I do.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Well when I grow up I want to be like david Blaine. Jk

seriously though I perform because I gotta eat. And my people skills arnot the geatest ever (but what magicians are I mean look at criss angel he's an @** and he's done ok for him self)
as far as cards there convenient.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Why is that show so bad??

Anyways, I try to stay away from cards now. I would only do one or two routines with them, truth be told they bore the crap out of people.

Well it depends how you perform them ... I am always asked to do something at school, i don't think they got bored

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
I perform card magic because I think it's cool. I thought it was really really neat so I wanted to learn it. I make money from magic so that's good too.

NOONE and I mean absolutely NOONE gets into magic at first for "sharing an experience with new people" or any of that other hard hitting changing people reasons. We all get into it becuase we think it's cool.

to ajp500, you are wrong. Plain and simple. I wouldn't be surprised if YOU bore the crap out of people, but card tricks do not bore people. This is an actual "presentation matters" kind of statement. But to say that card tricks bore people is just wrong. Youre presentation of card tricks bore people.

"I just wanna make them amazed and appreciate the beauty of this art" is another statement that is absolutely bullcrap. At least for getting into magic. NOONE sees a trick and wants to learn it because "he made me appreciate the beauty and art of magic, I want to share that." Magicians glorify themselves with statements like this. NOONE thinks of magic like magicians think they think of magic.

Get real, and perform. My street show is 2 tricks and people love it. Noone has been deeply touched and come to appreciate magic. NOONE appreciates how someone does magic. People appreciate how you present it. ANYBODY in this world can be a magician, very few can be performers. I get more compliments on my presentation and crowd control than I do my magic, and my magic doesn't suck.

Just something to think about

Mar 13, 2009
Also, you seem like one of those people who just discovered magic through that terrible show and now you search youtube to try and find out how to do magic tricks that people put time and effort into for free.

Nathan, please don't spam, and penguindude, there's nothing wrong with that when beginning, as he obviously didn't know any better, that's usually how a lot of people get started magic these days, and it's good to trial something for free before you go start spending money on it.
A better idea would probably have been to go to a library, but hey, that's just me.
Anyways, like others have said, the reason why I perform card magic, or magic in general for that matter, is to entertain, and have fun with/ hobby.

Sep 20, 2008
I flourish to burn time. I dont BS by saying "I do it for the smiles on the spectators." That's cool, its an added bonus. But its not the reason why i do magic.

I do it to entertain.

Jul 13, 2009
I am going to be completely honest here, I started magic because I liked the attention. It is the same reason I became a musical actor/dancer. Now what kept me in was the friends I made through it, even the friends I never see again.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Because I enjoy it, they're light and easy to carry and there are many possibilities with cards. There is also a huge amount of material that teaches many a card trick/technique/oddity.

Cards are familiar. They are something that can be recognized by just about anybody. And the possibilities are endless. You can create an drama in three acts with a deck of cards. People love to gamble and poker is the craze now. Besides, who doesn't know the 21 card trick?! It's what the people expect and I'm happy to oblige.

However, I choose my card magic very carefully. If you're gonna do it, you should do it right. It's very easy to confuse a spectator. After all, they don't know what to expect. I start simple and build on the complexity of the effects. Flow is important. Presentation is the added nuances that make the tricks work and seem impossible in the spectator's mind.. I don't want my audience to leave thinking, "I don't get it!" I want them to leave thinking, "WOW. He was so funny...and my card just came out of nowhere!" etc... I mean, if anyone here thinks that a spectator TRULY believes that the card just MAGICALLY appeared in my pocket or whatever than you need to rethink some things. The cards should be the gateway for getting your personality across and ENTERTAINING THEM! It really is a game of hide and go seek! Audiences are not stupid. And our magic should reflect the fine taste of a carefully chosen repertoire. I often tell my audiences, "The trick is not with the cards or the coins. The trick is to let your guard down and see how much fun you can have shattering everything you thought to be an impossibility. Yes they're tricks, but your OWN mind is tricking you more than I am. So let's see. How an I going to make you fool yourself?

All the best,
Jonathan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results