Where should I start?

Best thing to do and what I did is to get a book. I did this and started off with the royal road to card magic book. Too many people are entering the magic industry and learning just the effects and nothing else. If you really want to explore the art of magic start off with the basics and these will help you in the future.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Buy now you see it, now you dont by bill tarr.
It has EVERYTHING magic. not just card tricks.
And of course just go to book stores and find the section with magic in them. Usually they have the beginning magic book by joshua jay and general magic trick books. There are references in those books to learn other more specific pieces of magic.
And THEN by DVDs. dont buy dvds first. unless it teaches at a beginner level and multiple tricks

Aug 18, 2008
Best thing to do and what I did is to get a book. I did this and started off with the royal road to card magic book. Too many people are entering the magic industry and learning just the effects and nothing else. If you really want to explore the art of magic start off with the basics and these will help you in the future.

So you are assuming he strictly wants to start with card magic?

Aug 18, 2008
Buy now you see it, now you dont by bill tarr.
It has EVERYTHING magic. not just card tricks.
And of course just go to book stores and find the section with magic in them. Usually they have the beginning magic book by joshua jay and general magic trick books. There are references in those books to learn other more specific pieces of magic.
And THEN by DVDs. dont buy dvds first. unless it teaches at a beginner level and multiple tricks

Haha you beat me to it my friend, edited.

Oct 18, 2009
id make a trip to your local library. Definetly less expensive than buying a book or dvd and finding out its not something you can do to your best ability or something you are interested in. also beleive it or not, there is alot of hidden gems that can be found in the books and some videos/dvds in the shelfs of the library in the section that only magicians know or care about. just search magic in your libraries catalog! hope this helps!

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I would start off with learning the Double Lift and the Charlie cut.
Shapeshifter
Snap Change
Classic Color Change

All of these things are very basic things that are good to start out with.

Oct 22, 2009
Royal Road

I agree with the other guy, the Royal Road to Card Magic is a great book. Also, if you want to spend more money, get the Royal Road DvD by Paul Wilson. If you're more visual and don't like reading, it's great.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ok, I'll give you a few of the most commonly recommended starting points for a few areas of magic. Any of these will set you up with more than what you need.

General Magic:
Harlan Tarbell's Tarbell Course in Magic
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Joshua Jay's Magic: The Complete Course
Henry Hay's The Amateur Magician's Handbook

Card Magic:
Hugard & Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic
Roberto Giobbi's Card College

Coin Magic:
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic

Mentalism:
Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals
Tony Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism
Annemann's (kind of) Practical Mental Effects (AKA Practical Mental Magic)

(If you want more details on specific areas of mentalism, eg. Cold Reading, Suggestion, etc., or go into these in more detail, PM me, but these are the basics)

Flourishing:
De'vo's Xtreme Beginners 1 & 2
Jerry Cestkowski's The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes

Rope Magic:
Richard Sanders' Fibre Optics Extended

I'm sure there are more, but these ones are the best of the best to start out with, and the best for beginners. There are several good products to go from there, but this is where you should start. I would like to stress that this is not the only way, but it's probably the most suggested way by professionals, and the most proven way.

Sep 1, 2007
For years, I have been imploring magicians to get the complete
Tarbell Course in Magic. Harlan Tarbell teaches in this course how to become a real magician. As he says right in the beginning of Volume One, “One can give medicine to a friend, but that does not make him a doctor.” Tarbell trains people to be real magicians knowing the mechanics and fundamentals of magic.

Far too many young performers think that mastering magic is learning just sleights and words. Studying Tarbell teaches you what it is really all about. When you understand the total concept of what it means to be a magician, you will act and perform accordingly. When you do, your audience will recognize you as a skilled performer and give you the attention and respect necessary to work your miracles.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results