Where to get started?

May 28, 2008
hey i mjust getting into learning tricks......any one got any suggestions on what is a good place to start?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
^^^^^^ I cosign that then when you are done there get and/or expert at the card table and expert card technique. That will give you more than enough too get you started and you can get it all at penguin for around 20 - 30 dollars. Also Bobo's modern coin magic is nice as well.

May 26, 2008
It depends on what kind of magic you want to do...
The two posts above already covered card magic, so I'll do coin.
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made easy
go to www.coinvanish.com for reviews on David Stone's, Roth's, and Ammar's DVDs.
There are many starting tools for cards, so I would look around and find what you like best.

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
For cards, Oz pearlman's born to preform card magic, as well as The Royal Road to Card magic.
Im not much of a coin person but i hear Bobo's modern coin magic is very good.

May 28, 2008
Thanks

hey thanks for the replies.....will def look into those.....thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, nice to see a new face among us.

DVD's:
But, to your question, I would highly recomend how to do street magic over at www.ellusionist.com. Also, Xtreme begginers at E is good if you want to start flourishing.

Books:
There are a few really awsome books out their and I'll tell you what they are. My personal favorite is : Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.
It is a must have for beginers and experts alike. It teaches all that you'll need.
It sells for about: 15-30 dollars. The price is steep but you should get it because it has step by step illustrations, easy to follow directions, teaches famous effects, and has a huge variety of over 300 tricks.

Another is : The Practical Encyclopedia of Magic by: Nicholas einhorn. This one is really for begginers but it reveals over 120 secrets. And even though I am much more advanced than I was then I still get some cool ideas from this book. It also gives backgrounds of different kinds of magic and biography's of magicians. This one sells for 15- 25 dollars. It's worth it when you start out because it also has pictures that help you along.

Dylan P.

May 28, 2008
Thanks again

hey thanks again im def going to have to check those ones out....never heard of them before......where can you find those books at?....... and thanks for the web site it should help:)

Oct 6, 2007
Well, we've got a lot of products here, and I'll try and summarize what people have said, as well as add tips.

BOOKS:
The Royal Road to Card Magic
Bobo's Coin Magic
Expert at the Card Table

DVDs:
How to do Street Magic (Ellusionist)
Ninja 1 & 2 (Ellusionist)
Born to Perform Card Magic (Penguin Magic)> My recommendation

TIPS:
Decide on which magic type you want to specialize in. Card Magic? Coin Magic? Rope Magic?
I suggest you get a solid foundation in the basic sleights once you choose, i.e. Learn the basic grip for cards, double lift, breaks, etc. Palms and steals aren't really unnecessary for now.

Learn a few good tricks (Born to Perform DVD has 4 STRONG effects), and practice them until you're tired of doing it. Then, go out and perform them. During your performance, LISTEN to your spectators. Interpret what they say about you, and make the necessary changes. Then, practice more. Repeat this cycle, and before you know it you'll be years into magic.

May 28, 2008
lol

haha that works out great cause i just got a barnes and noble gify card.......we again thanks to all and i look forward to learning alot and talking to you all again

May 26, 2008
Well, we've got a lot of products here, and I'll try and summarize what people have said, as well as add tips.

BOOKS:
The Royal Road to Card Magic
Bobo's Coin Magic
Expert at the Card Table

DVDs:
How to do Street Magic (Ellusionist)
Ninja 1 & 2 (Ellusionist)

DO NOT GET NINJA 1 OR 2 IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER. Not a good idea at all. They are too advanced, especially Ninja 1, which teaches the pass...there is no reason for you to learn that if you are a beginner. Get the other stuff, those are good suggestions.

Oct 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
Welcome to the Theory11 forums and to magic in general.

I personally started out doing card magic and found Ellusionist's Crash Course 1 to be a great help to me as a beginner. But as stated above, it all depends on what and how you want to learn. Whether it be from a book or DVD, and whether you want to learn coin, card or rope magic to begin with. Although i have had no experience with them personally, i have heard very good things about the Card College series, and would perhaps suggest volume 1 if you would prefer learning from a book.

Hope that helped.

- C S

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I don't recommend deciding in the beginning a one style of magic. Experiment! Try different things, make mistakes and learn from it. Material already stated is pretty good, and I think you will get started fine with those items already listed.

May 16, 2008
I don't personally recommend "How to do Street Magic (Ellusionist)" for beginners. The tricks are easy enough that a beginner would be able to do them, however it does not give you a good base in card magic like Royal Road to Card Magic does and won't give you much to build upon. It's more of a 'what you see is what you get' DVD, whereas Royal Road gives you tricks that can be adapted into countless more tricks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results