where to start

May 30, 2008
blue mountains
ok i kinda want to know what other coin guys think.
i think the best place to start in magic is cards then move to what ever floats your boat that way you have something to fall on that gives variety.
OR would it better to start in coins (or something similar) because its harder, takes longer and could be a good base to grow?

Neither. It is important to begin magic without limitations. Try everything and do what ever floats your boat at the embarkation of your magic career. Then, from there take what you like the most and focus on that. Whether you find that you like cards, coins, ropes, stage, or anything in between. Also, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPECIALIZE. If you like every type of magic, then by god do every type of magic. Never start out with cards or coins or ropes just because someone says to. Start out with what you like, use sleights or gimmicks or BOTH!

I tell everyone to read MWCCIM (Mark Wilsons Complete Course In Magic) because it has a taste of everything magic has to offer. Never ever listen to what someone says on where YOU should start your magic focus. Only you can decide that. Roth loves coins, Le Paul loved cards, you make love ropes or stage, and thats all that matters.

Time for work.

All the best,
-Chase

Ironic.

...but Mark Wilson's Complete Course is a great book.
Hehehe I know. But notice how I said that I recommend MWCCIM as my starting point. It was a starting point to find where I wanted my starting point to be. (makes sense I think :D) I was referring to where to start, not as a source, but as talking in field of magic.

All the best,
-Chase

May 31, 2008
Neither. It is important to begin magic without limitations. Try everything and do what ever floats your boat at the embarkation of your magic career. Then, from there take what you like the most and focus on that. Whether you find that you like cards, coins, ropes, stage, or anything in between. Also, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPECIALIZE. If you like every type of magic, then by god do every type of magic. Never start out with cards or coins or ropes just because someone says to. Start out with what you like, use sleights or gimmicks or BOTH!

I tell everyone to read MWCCIM (Mark Wilsons Complete Course In Magic) because it has a taste of everything magic has to offer. Never ever listen to what someone says on where YOU should start your magic focus. Only you can decide that. Roth loves coins, Le Paul loved cards, you make love ropes or stage, and thats all that matters.

Time for work.

All the best,
-Chase

I agree with that, in fact, I'm going to make a beginner's guide to magic, right here, right now.

First Purchases:
  • Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
  • How to Do Street Magic
  • Art of Magic

Mark Wilson's book will give you a start in everything, and HTDSM will give you more detailed instruction of a few things taught in Mark Wilson's book. AOM will give you a push in the direction of presentational skills.

Once you've mastered the material you like from these sources, it depends on what you like to do:

Coins >>> J.B. Bobo's Guide to Modern Coin Magic
Cards >>> Royal Road to Card Magic
Mentalism >>> Thirteen Steps to Mentalism

Learn these books, and once you've mastered all of the techniques, and all of the tricks you like, go to a magic shop, not a novelty shop, and tell them about what you know about magic. From there, it's really up to you. Buy and practice what you like, however, what I've mentioned here should give you enough material for a long time.

Note: This is not where I started, so I'm not sure if this the absolute best way to start. Please make changes to this as you wish.

to be honest, all you should really do for now is not by anything, not download anything or buy any gimmicks or props. Right now, all you should do is watch magic. Watch every single performance you can get your hands on. Go from there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results