Where to start?

May 19, 2010
Recently I've become interested in gambling techniques and demonstrations and was looking at some of Jason England's downloads. So my question is where to start? Should I start with false shuffles before I go into false deals? Or should I start with palming? Just some questions I've had and wanted to hear other's opinions. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2008
Palming, Shuffling, then dealing.

Palming, because it's a great way to consider surrounding elements when in a cheat scenario.

Shuffling next because even if you know no dealing techniques, you can still rig a deck.

Dealing because the possibilities go on forever.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Recently I've become interested in gambling techniques and demonstrations and was looking at some of Jason England's downloads. So my question is where to start? Should I start with false shuffles before I go into false deals? Or should I start with palming? Just some questions I've had and wanted to hear other's opinions. Thanks!

I would say to start off with palming first, as it is a universal technique that everyone should at least learn for gambling or magic related sleights.

Then, I would head into the shuffles. False shuffles are also universal for magic and gambling alike.

After, do deals. Start off with learning a proper Top Deal and sailing the cards and getting a good rhythm. Then, learn deals such as Second Deals and Bottom Deals. These deals will be the most useful.

And regarding shuffles, you should also learn stacking if you are serious into gambling. If you ever plan to stack yourself a hand, you gotta learn so the right way. Everything I mentioned above is taught by Jason England on his Foundations 1 & 2 DVDs. A very excellent source for starting off in the world of gambling sleights.

Hopefully I was able to help in any way I could. Good luck on your adventure!

May 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies! I will be sure to start off with palming. Thanks for all the help!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Just make sure you have it down real well or you might have a gun pointed at your head if you are in the wrong game and mess up. Not so much fun then. I'm not speaking from experience but I know someone who had this happen. Needless to say...he doesn't do it anymore.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I am interessted in gambling technic too (not to cheat of course) and after the fondation, I heard that the next step should be the expert at the card table, is it rigth or do you suggest another book before?

Jul 13, 2010
I am interessted in gambling technic too (not to cheat of course) and after the fondation, I heard that the next step should be the expert at the card table, is it rigth or do you suggest another book before?

After foundation ? I think foundation contains material you will work on for the rest of your life and is absolutely great btw.
Jason says in his videos that you should read the descriptions in EATCT in conjunction with his videos. I would send him a PM.
Who`s more qualified to answer than the master himself ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2010

For demos, you don't ALWAYS have to use the technique you're pretending to use. Aronson stack, for example, has lots of built in gambling demos.

If you're trying to look like you're doing the moves with the results, it only matters what the audience sees. As it is with most magic (if not all).

May 18, 2008
I know exactly what you are going through. A couple of years ago, I got really heavily into the gambling demonstrations. Now, while it is true that you do not need to use complicated techniques for a good gambling demonstration, knowing the techniques that people actually use at card tables has a lot of merit and can be a lot of fun.

Jason England's downloads are very good and will teach you what you need to know (fairly easily), but are rather specific (if you don't buy Foundations). Fernando Keops has a good DVD that teaches a myriad of moves (volume 2 of his DVD set) that is fairly cheap and would give you a good reference for a lot of really great moves.

In terms of what to start with, it all depends on what you plan to do with it. Palming is a useful skill (universally) but I don't think if you are set on gambling demonstrations that it will be the most important thing. False cutting is the easiest out of those, so I would start with that (as you can pick up a lot of good false table cuts in a day).

That generally leads into false shuffling, which can be relatively easy as well. Both of those moves have many useful applications in other facets of card work. From there, I would see what I felt I should learn next, based on the type of demonstrations I like to do.

Hope that helps!

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I send a private message to Jason and he basically say about the same thing as you did ,exept that he refers me to the Card college volume 1 and 2 to establish my base at magic, then learn the cutting, shuffle and dealing (false of course). And, he also state that, even if dealing is difficult, I should start practicing them anyway.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results