Which Dan + Dave DVD?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Here's the deal. I know I'm going to get a D&D DVD, actually my first T11 purchase. The only thing is, I'm not sure which one.

-I don't want the flourish DVD because I'm not at that cardistry level yet.
-Debating between Tricks, Everythingelse, and andthensome.
-Picking up a couple Tally-Ho's to practice with.

Basically, I'm an intermediate card magician. I want to expand the knowledge I have by picking up some new tricks. I don't know if I want just tricks, though. Everythingelse seems to be a good deal, especially with the 20 classic flourishes. But andthensome seems to be a pretty good deal.

All in all:

-Intermediate card guy
-Need to pick up new stuff
-Want to get the best overall deal
-I can buy only one DVD...believe me if I could buy them all I would.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ian

Mar 13, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
The best advice I can give you is to save up a little and buy the whole Trilogy. Then you have everything you could possibly want. I find the trilogy to be a very good purchase and every penny worth it. If you could wait a little until you've saved up enough :)

Kind regards Kristian

Jun 29, 2009
Well i actually have all 4 DVDs, and contentwise it is a chop, so what i can say is that I spend the majority of my time working on the flourish DVD. That is because, personally, sybil comes easier to me than sleight of hand and magic.

The everything else DVD is next in line, because the 20 classic flourishes and the vast amount of versatile material on it make it a DVD you can really work with.

The only thing is, i haven't really killed it with the tricks DVD yet because my interest lies elsewhere. I want to learn to two hand cut in the most extravagant ways before even getting basic tricks down. I can say, not through experience but through logic, that if you master the tricks DVD and perform them well, that you will get amazing reactions from people.

So with whatever you choose, keep me posted as i'm interested in where your path leads.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Here's the deal. I know I'm going to get a D&D DVD, actually my first T11 purchase. The only thing is, I'm not sure which one.

-I don't want the flourish DVD because I'm not at that cardistry level yet.
-Debating between Tricks, Everythingelse, and andthensome.
-Picking up a couple Tally-Ho's to practice with.

Basically, I'm an intermediate card magician. I want to expand the knowledge I have by picking up some new tricks. I don't know if I want just tricks, though. Everythingelse seems to be a good deal, especially with the 20 classic flourishes. But andthensome seems to be a pretty good deal.

All in all:

-Intermediate card guy
-Need to pick up new stuff
-Want to get the best overall deal
-I can buy only one DVD...believe me if I could buy them all I would.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ian

overall best deal? buy a book. get a book with 10 times more info. if its dan and dave material you want, pick up a pdf packet that has almost all the stuff or the stuff its based on anways and costs the same as about a dvd. Also look into some of the books on their site, a lot of it is where they have drawn their inspiration. However, if these answers are not what you are looking for and you really wanna know which of those dvd's than i would suggest the tricks dvd. while everything else is nice, if you truly are "intermediate" than the 20 flourishes you should probably already know. plus i find myself using the tricks much more than the eclectic sleights in everythingelse although they are great for some situations and i would pick it up in the future. Andthensome would not be a good buy unless you have the trilogy discs first as much of it builds on previous material that you wouldn't know. good luck and hope i helped

~josh

Jun 5, 2009
you wont learn a lot from everything else, just under pressure or something, but if you can only buy one of them, pick tricks up.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I dont see why you couldnt do D&D stuff anywhere. Yes some of it is inconvenient and may need some set up, but still doable. The only question that remains is if you want to do it. Some of the stuff just won't work everywhere and get the best reaction. If you're choosing between the dvds. id go for Tricks if I were to choose one. but in my opinon their dvds work best as a team. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. and of course you'll have to own another dvd to do one of the tricks.

Jun 29, 2009
I dont see why you couldnt do D&D stuff anywhere. Yes some of it is inconvenient and may need some set up, but still doable. The only question that remains is if you want to do it. Some of the stuff just won't work everywhere and get the best reaction. If you're choosing between the dvds. id go for Tricks if I were to choose one. but in my opinon their dvds work best as a team. I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. and of course you'll have to own another dvd to do one of the tricks.

Yea, honestly after thinking about it -- saving up for the entire trilogy is the best idea. Buying one at a time would be more expensive, so i wouldn't get just one DVD.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'm pretty deadset on getting dan and dave stuff. I'm really not looking for a book at the moment, but it's not too distant from the horizon.

jrobarts05: I do know most of the flourishes, but everythingelse I looked at as a combo package, but you're right, they do seem eclectic.

thaulow: I probably won't buy the entire Trilogy, and I just want one for now to kind of settle on.

I realize andthensome builds on original Trilogy material, so I guess it's between tricks and everythingelse. I'm still on the fence with this one.

Thanks everyone.

Anything else?

Ian

May 31, 2008
1) More for your money. Instead of paying 30 dollars for 5 tricks, (cough Symphony + AoM cough), pay 40 dollars for 20+ tricks.

Art of Magic more of a DVD on presentation. It's more about hearing presentational advice from some of the best in the bizz. (I had to say that) Art of Magic is a great investment, just today, my friend and I were out doing street magic. We took a break in between and we watched the interview section of Art of Magic. When we hit the streets again, he had a whole different way of presenting. He still wasn't David Copperfield or anything, but his presentation was much better.

However, you are correct, a book would probably be the best way to go if you want tricks. "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" is good if you don't own it. I've heard that Card College is great, and judging by the product pages it seems incredible. "Expert at the Card Table" is probably what you're looking for at the time.

I know you're not looking for a presentation book, but "Maximum Entertainment" is very nice.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
austyn: I wanted D&D material because I just love it. The uniqueness of it is just outstanding.

DaveyG: I own Wilson and Expert. Love them both. I am considering Card College, but am still unsure. I didn't like the illustrations in either Wilson or Expert, and I prefer photos.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Well I just like the way the Bucks do magic. They do it a bit flashier than I've seen. Not "making blind compliments".

I said unique, not conpletely unique. I'm actually looking at Card College, but I don't know whether to get 3 or 4. I know a lot of the stuff in 3, but I don't know if I'm ready for 4. I'm about 67.4563777% sure.

And then if all else fails I'll probably get the tricks DVD. But Card College looks good...

Argh.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results