Which magician do you love to hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2007
Hey guys I really like Michael Ammar and Paul Harris, they have some outstanding material to learn from. As for some of the more younger magicians I think Daniel Garcia has a very creative mind along with Wayne Houchin. This thread is about bashing people and lets face it, if you were famous would you really want someone bashing you?

Sypris

P.S - I love all magicians thats just a few that really stand out for me.

Sep 2, 2007
Derren Brown is hands down my favorite magician/mentalist/psychological illusionist/etc. in the world.

How many here have been watching his "new" show on Sci-Fi? I can't believe the season is over already. Guess the ratings weren't the greatest. Shame.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Derren Brown is hands down my favorite magician/mentalist/psychological illusionist/etc. in the world.

How many here have been watching his "new" show on Sci-Fi? I can't believe the season is over already. Guess the ratings weren't the greatest. Shame.

No, the deal was a 6-part Miniseries type thing.

The magician I love to hate is Criss Angel.
I rag on him so much, but every Tuesday night I watch Mindfreak...

Sep 2, 2007
Close this thread. Now.

This is nothing but a circle jerk of impotent, generic complaints and does nobody the slightest good.

I, personally, don't think we really hate those magicians, but, instead are jealous of and envy what they can do because we cannot. For instance, I love to hate David Blaine because he is so slick with his moves and sleights. It's not that I don't like him - because I do - its that he is so good that he almost surreal.

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I, personally, don't think we really hate those magicians, but, instead are jealous of and envy what they can do. For instance, I love to hate David Blaine because he is so slick with his moves and sleights.

Cheers,
JTM

Oh I'm jelous of David Blaine, I wish I was half as good as him.
I hate CA because he says that he doesn't use editing or stooges but he actually uses both.

Sep 2, 2007
I hate CA because he says that he doesn't use editing or stooges but he actually uses both.

That's true. But, you have to admit that he is good at what he does. His presentation is off the charts. I tried to perform Sinful for a crowd, and they knew exactly what I was doing. Whereas, when he does it, or any performance, the crowd become so absorbed within his personality and aura that his magic become almost inhuman.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
That's true. But, you have to admit that he is good at what he does. His presentation is off the charts. I tried to perform Sinful for a crowd, and they knew exactly what I was doing. Whereas, when he does it, or any performance, the crowd become so absorbed within his personality and aura that his magic become almost inhuman.

That's true.
However, he has set an unfair bar for the common magicians.
I've had countless people ask if I could levititate like he does, or if I knew how to put a coin through a soda can, or if I had seen him perform before.
It isn't fair to the common magician because he goes out and does "Street magic" and does things that can only be acomplished under certain circumstances, and people see that and expect every magician to be able to do that.

Sep 2, 2007
my favorite magicvnas hands down are Cyril Takayama daniel garcia, luke jermay, and penn and teller. awesome guys. i don't really hate nay other magicnas? Who would?

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I love wayne style of performance, I like cyril too.. I dont like brad christian he just do magic for the money to sell something to get some bucks :S :S

Sep 2, 2007
That's true.
However, he has set an unfair bar for the common magicians.
I've had countless people ask if I could levititate like he does, or if I knew how to put a coin through a soda can, or if I had seen him perform before.
It isn't fair to the common magician because he goes out and does "Street magic" and does things that can only be acomplished under certain circumstances, and people see that and expect every magician to be able to do that.

I too have had people ask if I can levivate across buildings, etc. I usually state that "I don't do requests, and if you hadn't just asked me to levitate, I would have just done right now." The tricks Criss Angels does make it harder and more challenging for the common magician. But I enjoy challeges, and I have yet to back down for one.

Cheers,
JTM

Whoa there little man. Hate is a strong word bro. Dislike would probrable be a better choice of words.

Is it really right to hate on a fellow performer? Everyone has a different way of going about things, gimmicks or not, stooges or not, it's all up to the audience to decide whether or not they like or dislike a performer and it seems to me Criss Angel and Cryll are doing pretty good for themsleves. Or eles they would be broke right?

Company wise, I say they only company I think negativly about would be Penguin Magic. They just got a whole mess over there and I think the thing they did to Jay Sankey was just plain wrong. So I try to limmit my purchasing from them to a minimum due to their ethics.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Whoa there little man. Hate is a strong word bro. Dislike would probrable be a better choice of words.

Is it really right to hate on a fellow performer? Everyone has a different way of going about things, gimmicks or not, stooges or not, it's all up to the audience to decide whether or not they like or dislike a performer and it seems to me Criss Angel and Cryll are doing pretty good for themsleves. Or eles they would be broke right?

Company wise, I say they only company I think negativly about would be Penguin Magic. They just got a whole mess over there and I think the thing they did to Jay Sankey was just plain wrong. So I try to limmit my purchasing from them to a minimum due to their ethics.

What did they do to Sankey?

What did they do to Sankey?

Jay and the guys over at Penguin had a deal on the prices of his DVD's that he was selling on their site and about a month later they started docking down the prices more and more and they eventurally had one of his effects a free download. Jay cut their deal with Penguin yet they still sell Sankey products I believe.

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of Penguin.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I actually don't hate any magicians I think I'd perfer watching others perform more than others but everyone has a different style. I like Cyril's performance style, especially when he did his Magic Revolution in Japan. For me understanding both Japanese and English I guess adds to it though

Guys I have been getting complaints about the thread..... If you read my first article the thread opener... I sed " A migician we do not like" streess the word LIKE. I would like to make people learn why they do not olike other magicians so they dont perform like them.

Sep 1, 2007
Guys I have been getting complaints about the thread..... If you read my first article the thread opener... I sed " A migician we do not like" streess the word LIKE. I would like to make people learn why they do not olike other magicians so they dont perform like them.

Yes, but having a title including the words "love to hate" gave a lot of other people the impression that they now have free reign to whine and complain about whomever they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results