Who created it?

Mar 16, 2010
Lithuania
I learned the Crazy Man's Handcuffs from Jay Sankey about 3 years ago, but he didn't tell who created this trick. Does anyone know? I am asking this out of curiosity.

Jan 21, 2011
This sounds like an interesting question. I will look through some of my resources and try to see what book I have that depict the effect. If everyone does so we may be able to come up with an answer. Just for information it will not be before March 17 1845, because that is when Rubber bands where patented.

Red

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
For some reason I have a feeling that it was Herb Zarrow. However do not hold me on that.

EDIT: According to Penguin Magic:
This effect was invented by Arthur Setterington, and later refined by Herb Zarrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The "Rubber Band Trick" as many of us used to call it, was quite obscure for years. . .untl Magic-Bartender Bob Jardine found it in Tarbell and started performing it in the Hat & Hare Pub (one of the bars in the Magic Castle). Bob managed to keep it quiet for close to a year but magician's being magicians. . . well, the cat got out of the bag and as they say, the rest is history. . .

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results