• Dai Vernon

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Jay Sankey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other *List them Please

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
Jan 18, 2009
Well I started the one poll about the Buck twins and got some good responses and a good number of votes. So I thought about making one more poll before the weekend was out. There's no wrong answer and even if it is the Masked Magician then it's true that inspiration can come from the worst of places :D.

Who sparked your interest in magic or pushed you further into actually becoming a "real" magician? For me it was Brad Christian, no I am not a E fan boy but everything I saw from him is what I wanted to do and now I can (except for a good pass), because he taught me what I needed to learn although now I have far more variety.

Last edited by a moderator:

amkov

Elite Member
My inspiration has to be David Blaine. I remember watching one of his old specials on telly when i was something like 11 Y/0 and i just loved the reactions on the peoples faces, and i thought to myself: "Hey, i wanna do that too!" :D and from then on, Magic has become a main thing in my life :)

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I also was inspired to start magic by David Blaine. I still remember watching him perform magic to spectators on the street and just like the spectator's reactions I was astonished. It was amazing how these now simple effects amazed not only people, but a soon to be performer like myself.

Jul 19, 2008
I started getting INTERESTED when I read Nicolas Einhorn's encyclopedia of magic, and then about a year and a half ago when I got into magic I read Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic. Greatest book ever for magic. Period.

Feb 21, 2009
inspire

When I first started. In like the very very beginsing, it was ofcourse david blaine because i always saw him on tv. now as i gain respect for the art, i really respect jordan lapping.

My mother is a professional clown for a living and has been since before I was born. She bought me my first trick when I was 3. I still have it too. Teller from Penn & Teller taught me the french drop when I was 6 and since meeting that day, magic is #1 and my education is a close 2. My gf is 3. And she's cool with that and supports me in all my decisions.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
I don't even remember the name who got me started, but he wasn't even a magician. A guy at a camp that I went to about, say, two years ago now? Anyways, he did that trick where one places a small stock of cards into the spectator's hand and slaps them, leaving the selection remaining. I went to greece the week after, and I spent some time at the computers they had set up in the lobby of the hotel. I learned some simple tricks off of random websites, from then on I was hooked.

That's my story. :p

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I acutally started my self
I wanted to learn how to shuffle so i bought Royal Road by Jean Hugard.
Then I Bought david stones RSOM which i found extremely hard, but I was still able to finish all the material. annoyed me a bit

For me it was the Masked Magician, but I only did magic out of some crappy magic kits from "bookclub". Then on a holiday to England I saw some guy doing D'Lights at Hanly (or something like that) a big toystore over there. And thats how my magic career started.

JDEN

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
For me it was David Blaine, almost two years ago. I watched his special 100 times, and I was always amazed like the first time I saw it. I wanted to know how it was all done. So I went on his web site, and there was a link to Ellusionist, and the rest is history :)

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Copperfield absolutely floored me when I first saw one of his shows on Youtube (they still do).
My grandfather has been a professional card man for a really long time. He made sure I got started on the right foot.

I'm suprised no one has Mentioned Ricky Jay or Dai Vernon.

Little things over time I guess. Little glimpses of magicians here and there that built up in my mind. It always hung in the back of my mind. Then I found out what sleight of hand and flourishing was. And here I am I suppose.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
It wasn't any one person.

Henry Hay had a lot to do with it, with his Amateur Magician's Handbook.

I used to see a lot of the locals around Detroit doing magic in person or on tv, fairly regularly. Lots of stage magic. This was in my youth, in the 80s.

...and Alice Cooper. He was the first person I saw perform magic without all of the gaudy coloring and typical magic imagery.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
My cousin used to work for David Copperfield so he hung out with Chris Kenner and Homer Liwag....thinking about that stuff got me into it. And I remember watching David Blaine when I was younger.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results