Who invented Sybil?

Nov 18, 2008
CA
I read somewhere that Chris Kenner invented the sybil but i'm not sure. Did he? I never thought of Kenner as the flourishing type. lol.
Was it something that evolved over time? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,
_CC

Sep 20, 2008
i think it started as a trick, then evolved onto a flourish. then ****loads of variations came. Tudor really made it popular, its widely used by flourishers nowadays like d+M and the buck twins.

Dont quote me on that- its based on what i read in the forums.

Nov 30, 2007
I believe that Chris Kenner first published it as The Five Faces of Sybil in his book Totally Out of Control. I could also be wrong on that though.

Sep 1, 2007
Your right, Chris Kenner published it as the Five Faces of Sybil. Its named after some crazy lady with multiple personalities.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yes, someone already said it. It was published in totally out of control by chris kenner, five faces of sbyil.

I'm a trillion % positive.

k thanks i posted that comment at the exact same time Creeper posted.
But wow it was really Kenner? Never would of thought.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
As previously stated, Chris Kenner published two flourishes, one named Sybil and the other named The Five Faces of Sybil (this is the one widely regarded as the basis for most modern cuts) in his book, Totally Out of Control. Five Faces of Sybil also features in a trick in the same book: Sybil the Trick. This is an amazing trick, one of my favourites ever. If you don't already own this book, you should check it out. This stuff is amazing. If you fail to purchase a copy of this book within the next seven days, you shall be reincarnated as a rubber frog once you die. I mean it. Don't say you weren't warned...

Sep 15, 2007
Sybil

Chris popularized these style of cuts. Five faces of sybil was loosely based on the Ultimate Illogical cut by Troy Hooser that had 7 packets instead of just 5.
There were other cuts of this type before and even Dai Vernon was playing with various flourishy cuts on the 1974 interview tape.
The z cut in regualr sybil is an old old flourish from back in the 30's. That is the genisis of both 5 faces and regular sybil...the z cut.

Chris popularized the flourishes and brian tudor was the first to make a tape of variations on it.
Lee Ahser was also playing with variations but they were not XCM types fully but more magical.gambler typoe stuff.

Dan and Dave really catapulted the genre as did CTC and now Daniel Madison....all great stuff.
Snorri

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2008
Chris popularized these style of cuts. Five faces of sybil was loosely based on the Ultimate Illogical cut by Troy Hooser that had 7 packets instead of just 5.
There were other cuts of this type before and even Dai Vernon was playing with various flourishy cuts on the 1974 interview tape.
The z cut in regualr sybil is an old old flourish from back in the 30's. That is the genisis of both 5 faces and regular sybil...the z cut.

Chris popularized the flourishes and brian tudor was the first to make a tape of variations on it.
Lee Ahser was also playing with variations but they were not XCM types fully but more magical.gambler typoe stuff.

Dan and Dave really catapulted the genre as did CTC and now Daniel Madison....all great stuff.
Snorri

Thanks for that info I wasn't fully aware of that....

Sep 2, 2007
London

Snorri, do you have the names of any sources for these old Z cuts? I know Herb Zarrow and Gianni Mattiolo had a couple of flourish cuts published in Apocalypse, but I don't know of any two-hand flourish cuts published much further back than that, so I'd be interested to track them down.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results