Why did they become big/famous

Jul 18, 2011
UK
Have you ever noticed, the well known TV magicians like Dynamo, David Blaine etc. They are good, but they obviously perform routines/tricks bought from someone who invented them, but those inventors never get big, not at least to the same level as the performers. Why is that? Surely if you come up with something amazing, you should get the fame and fortune?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Sean,
Think of it this way. Anyone and everyone can go purchase a paint set from their local store but do they get credit for that? Does the company that made the paint get credit for the masterpiece that was created by the Van Goh's?

Just another way of looking at it.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It's fair to say that your two examples aren't good. David and Dynamo both performed for years before they got famous. I met Dynamo in Leeds, Blackpool and London back in early 2000 when he was completely unknown. While they are both highly talented they have both had a lot of luck with the right place at the right time and meeting the right people.

In regards to them mostly using published/marketed tricks, think of magic as a company. Every company has a front man or spokesperson that is the face for the brand that give keynote speeches or equivalent. Dynamo and David are similar in the way that they work with a team but they are the front men for all the teams work.

Jul 18, 2011
UK
Hmm, interesting views being said here. So there could be a lot of better performers, just not had the luck to get noticed. Some magicians on Pen and Teller Fool Us TV show are brilliant!

Alot of the times they dont perform store bought tricks, take Cyril, hardly anything he does is in a store, they make their own tricks, along with their creative team. But on the other hand people like Lu Chen, who makes all his effects him self.

But as Matt was saying these people arent famous by mistake, they strive for it, they get what they want. Its the person. And their personality.

J.

Jan 29, 2008
Its not about being in the right place at the right time. It's about being everywhere all the time. They're famous because they work their butts off.

They put themselves out there for the world to see and by giving, they received.

It isn't luck when you go out every day and perform, perform, perform, and then a tv producer spots you. It isn't luck when you send out press releases, talk to tons of people, and get someone to book you on tv or the radio. It is all hard work

People only get to see the results of what people like David Blaine have done. They don't get to see David going out in the streets performing, talking to networks, listening to guys tell him no, and then finally someone says yes. It is rarely talked about and people don't believe it because it really is that easy.

The hard part is to hear 1,000 no's and still keep doing it. Whatever you put out into the world, you receive back

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
While what you say is true Benji, I think you'll find a lot of really successful people had some good luck. Dynamo had a relative that let him tour America with her work, which gave him an international outlet for his magic. He randomly met someone from Adidas who loved his magic and not long after said that he will never have to worry about buying trainers ever again.

I agree with you 100% about working hard but there are people who work just as hard for their whole lives and don't have the same success because they didn't have a lucky break.

Aug 6, 2008
yeah luck does play a part. Reminds me of the book Outliers. In it it shows how luck helped all the successful people today. Great book by the way, should def read it if you get the chance.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
This is a heck of a question. If there was a simple formula to follow, everyone would be famous. I think it is a combination of just about everything that you have all put on the table here. It is more than just a trick. It is skill, personality, presentation, good contacts, opportunities to show yourself, motivation, and a little shot of plain old luck. Like Beans25 said, these people were ready when the world was ready. The world may never be ready for some of us, but we can all prepare like it will be tomorrow.

Let's hear some more of your thoughts. How does someone in magic end up being famous when we see amazing magicians all the time who can't seem to make it big?

Keep it up.

L

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Let's hear some more of your thoughts. How does someone in magic end up being famous when we see amazing magicians all the time who can't seem to make it big?
Again, it would most likely be a combination. Personality, style, work ethic, attitude, contacts, demand, opportunity...

I think this sums it up, Dan and Dave retweeted it yesterday I think:

RT @SterlingFulton: People "fail" because they either "don't want" or "don't work for" their dream.

Jan 20, 2009
California
I don't believe in luck

Even people who win the lottery have to buy a ticket
And not everyone who plays the lottery will win
yes you have to buy a ticket but you have No control over what numbers will
be picked...

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
And not everyone who plays the lottery will win
yes you have to buy a ticket but you have No control over what numbers will
be picked...

Hence the quote. Preparation meets opportunity. Don't buy the ticket, you won't win the lottery. Buy the ticket and you still won't likely win. Luck is when you manage to both prepare and you have that opportunity. You can pick lottery numbers every day of your life but will never win (even if you have the right numbers) without the preparation of buying the ticket.

Keep it coming.

L

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
You're getting too caught up in the literal meaning of luck.

I get on a train to London for whatever reason. There is a problem with the train and it is taken out of service. The replacement train already has people on it from another journey. I randomly sit next to a high flying investor that becomes a long time, well paying client.

That is lucky. Not everyone will get opportunities like that because things will go as planned and they won't meet the right person. Sure, taking the literal meaning in to consideration I'm prepared to show anyone magic and the opportunity was there but I'm lucky that the opportunity arose.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You're getting too caught up in the literal meaning of luck.

I get on a train to London for whatever reason. There is a problem with the train and it is taken out of service. The replacement train already has people on it from another journey. I randomly sit next to a high flying investor that becomes a long time, well paying client.

That is lucky. Not everyone will get opportunities like that because things will go as planned and they won't meet the right person. Sure, taking the literal meaning in to consideration I'm prepared to show anyone magic and the opportunity was there but I'm lucky that the opportunity arose.

And if you're not prepared when that moment arises, you don't get the high paying client for life, so there is no opportunity if you're not ready, it's just a standard change on a train.

'Luck' is being able to take advantage of an unexpected moment. Benji said 'Being everywhere all the time.' and I agree. It's the reason you'll rarely see Steve Cohen without a suit on, if he's out of his 'millionaire's magician' attitude for even one hour it could cost him years of work from a prospective client.

Luck is a byproduct of hard work, skill and knowledge. Work hard in preparation of the moment, knowledge that any moment can be that moment and the skill to bring the moment to the desired outcome.

Jun 9, 2011
have any of you read mysterious stranger? Blaine was not necessarily a 'lucky' person, in fact, he came from a pretty poor background. However, he was clever, knew where to find and perform for the right people, and then became pretty well known. Let's not also forget he pretty much popularized street magic. Luck is a factor i'd say, but being intelligent enough to recognize it and take advantage of it is also a factor.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
And if you're not prepared when that moment arises, you don't get the high paying client for life, so there is no opportunity if you're not ready, it's just a standard change on a train.
You clearly didn't read my post properly.

Blaine was not necessarily a 'lucky' person, in fact, he came from a pretty poor background. However, he was clever, knew where to find and perform for the right people, and then became pretty well known. Let's not also forget he pretty much popularized street magic.
Background is nothing. Dynamo is from a poor background, Alan Sugar, Richard Branson....none of them had a lot growing up.
Blaine also performed for years before getting his first tv show, he obviously met or approached the right people at the right time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results