Why Hofzinser Ain't Around

Jan 10, 2008
Yeah my bad, I didn't mean to post on the Cardistry/Flourishing Forum. The reason why I posted it on here and General Disscusions is simply I wanted some feedback. I figured if I posted it on General Discussion and Card Magic that it would insure some response.

Sorry if I offended you.

Sincerely,
David

Jun 1, 2009
It was well exectued, but the presentation bored me a bit, to be honest.
The monotonic voice just didnt get me into the effect, and I realize its hard to establish a connection over the computer, but next time act a little more....excited, if you will....when you perform this again.
Just words of advice, take it or leave it.

Your Boy,
Fez

Jan 10, 2008
It was well exectued, but the presentation bored me a bit, to be honest.
The monotonic voice just didnt get me into the effect, and I realize its hard to establish a connection over the computer, but next time act a little more....excited, if you will....when you perform this again.
Just words of advice, take it or leave it.

Your Boy,
Fez

I'll take it!

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Bit more energy wouldn't go amiss as has been said but it's a nice idea. Watch out for that step though, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Big fan of Hofzinser's material, I like the replacement of the twisting phase, putting a vanish instead. I bet this is where Racherbaumer comes in :p

I'll try to guess the Reynold's touch too. You can smell his style at the beginning, very ... Marlo-ish

Thats being said, I didn't like it much because I think its mixing too powerful phases together. I love Point of Departure/Biddle trick stuff, always knocks people over. You vanish a card, very strong, then show it in the deck, you go into a transpo, a very strong phase, which I think is a not good follow up because they want to see the card badly beforehand (because of the 1st phase ).

You could walk around it with presentation though, something like showing 2 totally different concepts in ancient magic literature, first a teleportation, then a transposition.

The irony? Jon Racherbaumer uses similar lines in an ace assembly ( Olram Aces ), so you got yet another Jon Racherbaumer contribution!

P.S Noticed you got a Bro.Hamman trick in your channel, check his Flight of Four in his book written by Kaufman. Great version of point of departure if you take the time to set it up.

Jan 10, 2008
Big fan of Hofzinser's material, I like the replacement of the twisting phase, putting a vanish instead. I bet this is where Racherbaumer comes in :p

I'll try to guess the Reynold's touch too. You can smell his style at the beginning, very ... Marlo-ish

Thats being said, I didn't like it much because I think its mixing too powerful phases together. I love Point of Departure/Biddle trick stuff, always knocks people over. You vanish a card, very strong, then show it in the deck, you go into a transpo, a very strong phase, which I think is a not good follow up because they want to see the card badly beforehand (because of the 1st phase ).

You could walk around it with presentation though, something like showing 2 totally different concepts in ancient magic literature, first a teleportation, then a transposition.

The irony? Jon Racherbaumer uses similar lines in an ace assembly ( Olram Aces ), so you got yet another Jon Racherbaumer contribution!

P.S Noticed you got a Bro.Hamman trick in your channel, check his Flight of Four in his book written by Kaufman. Great version of point of departure if you take the time to set it up.

Actually, believe it or not; Jon Racherbaumer's contribution to the trick was just the simple advice of keeping the deck spread face up throughout most of the effect. That was his little touch.

The Steve Reynold's contribution in one part is just a little bit of choreography at the beginning, and the vanish of the ace using a subtlety that he uses in his effect "Unsigned Card" which can be found on his Seek 52 DVD.

The Magic of Brother John Hamman by Richard Kaufman it one of my favorite books on cards. Flight of Four is terrific! My favorite effect in the book is actually one that I still have trouble executing, "Dead Man's Hand". I love watching Steve Reynold's perform this. In his hands, it's a thing of beauty. Thank you for your response Medifro, you've definitely given me some food for thought. Why Hofzinser Ain't Around is actually my first creative contribution to the relam of card magic. I've been having fun reading the feedback to it as well.

Take care,
David

Dead Man's Hands, LOVE it! I'm a huge fan of Bro.Hamman's material. If you ever meet Steve, ask him to introduce you to Trini Montes, there was an issue of a magazine called GodFly and Trini did a sort of interview with Hamman, the subject of unpublished Hamman material was there if my memory serves ..

Jan 10, 2008
Nice dude, you know Trini? Trini's awesome man! Me and Steve Reynolds are very good friends. As a matter of fact every Monday I meet up with Steve and Trini. Good stuff man...Good stuff! How do you know Steve Reynolds? Are you from New Orleans or Phily? Or did you meet them at a convention?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you from New Orleans or Phily? Or did you meet them at a convention?
Neither, but I'm a Marlo freak and I like reading Reynold's articles in different magazines, so its natural for me to know quite a bit about them. I've read ( and still reading ) alot of their articles in the past.

If you ever met them, just tell them they have fans overseas. :)

Cheers,
P.S. I only met one magician in my life .... >__< ..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results