Without Performing?

May 22, 2009
Hey, is it possible for a magician to make a living without performing. like how do people that dont work at restaurants and bars and stuff, like paul harris and billl goodwin or whoever make their living. is it non-card related.?

Sep 9, 2009
haha wow, well i guess if u make as many DVD's as jay sankey or andrew mayne or PH or somethin, then i guess you could. is it possible any other way (without perf.)??

Feb 28, 2008
Wow... that's interesting. I'm sure you could still perform without speaking, but that makes it a hell of a lot harder to be honest.

I think you can make a living at it, but I think you'd have to be more an assistant / creator of effects for other artists... just my thought.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Performing silent can be one of the most powerful things in a performance.
Hell,half of the people who do "street magic" arent really saying anything interesting anyway.
Have you seen alot of stage magic with tons of talk in between?
It can be done and be simple in imagining it. Making it actually worth peoples while is the hard part.

Jan 13, 2008
You can absolutely perform without speaking. I've seen lots of performers perform to music. Especially when performing in a venue where there will be people speaking a different language from the one you speak.

As well, you could always be a magic consultant. You don't need to perform to consult (although it definitely helps--speaking from theory is one thing, speaking from experience is another).

I have heard of a magician who performed in a shop window and had his hat outside the shop and just did a complete miming act to the people on the other side of the glass... if you found the right effects (like "Silent Treatment") you could do that, but you would probably need someone else to stop the first person for you.

Sep 20, 2009
i was just talking to Bill Goodwin sunday at The Castle.. we were jamming with some cards

i know he is the Librarian there

May 22, 2009
thanks for the halp guys,

im assuming a magic consultant is like a dan white or chris kenner that consults majorly and also produced dvd's and books, etc. on the side. can u make a decent living likke this. i mean i saw chris kenners house in the vids. and its freaking nice.!

Sep 24, 2007
You could perform stage. The speaking is significantly less.

And bah, the Buck brothers don't perform proffesionally. They just release products and design stuff.
Consulting is thinking up ideas for big name magicians.
But these are "magic-related" jobs. I don't think you can be a "proffessional magician" if you don't perform for a living.

May 10, 2010
Sometimes you don't exactly have to speak to wow your audience. Your magic does the talking for you. Magic goes in all languages, even languages that aren't understood. It's the exact same case here, when you cant communicate much with your audience, it's exactly like you're communicating in a whole different language that they wont understand. Nonetheless, they see what you are doing, and they know what youre doing, hence they CAN appreciate what you're doing. All I wanna say is, whatever your dreams are, go for it man. Don't be halted in any way, just have confidence in yourself and try out what you love to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at it this way, Rene Levand only has one arm, yet he does possibly some of the best sleight of hand i've ever seen (yes, I've seen him live). I would consider lacking an arm much more of a hindrance to magic that an inability to speak, owing to the fact that there are plenty of successful magicians who perform without saying anything.

Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you choose though.

Rev

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results