Words/Phrases they hate?

Sep 1, 2007
The visualness of a trick is a huge important aspect of any effect.

The thing I hate the most is when people say "LOL" (that was the first time I ever typed those 3 letters together like that).

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Try this one.

"Pick a card"
"Oh I know this one"
(Handing them the deck) "Well then here you do it then"

That usually shuts them up.

Got one last weekend, "Where can I get a deck of cards like that"
"Wal-mart probably. I buy mine in bulk at Sam's"

I find the truth is usually funnier.

Aug 31, 2007
Haha, when people say "Can I shuffle the cards?"

I just say "No!" and laugh really loudly. They laugh it off, and continue watching. No one tried it before? Worried that your magic will suffer because you admit the deck can't be shuffled? Sheesh.

"That's not an ace, you switched it already!" can get magicians all uptight... I say to such comments "Well DUH?! What do you expect? It's a trick!"

This thread should have people comment on how they respond to grating comments by audiences.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 1, 2007
And as you say that, switch it back, and say "just kidding" while you turn it over. While they are laughing, switch it back.

phrases i dislike

i dislike when a joke doesn't get a laugh and the performer says.."sometimes these jokes are just for me"

and I dislike when a joke is made and the performer follows it up with "2,3,4..."

BUT...I have always liked when a laymen says "I know how you did that!" and the performer replies "So do I!" or "Me too!"

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Haha, when people say "Can I shuffle the cards?"

I just say "No!" and laugh really loudly. They laugh it off, and continue watching. No one tried it before? Worried that your magic will suffer because you admit the deck can't be shuffled? Sheesh.

"That's not an ace, you switched it already!" can get magicians all uptight... I say to such comments "Well DUH?! What do you expect? It's a trick!"

This thread should have people comment on how they respond to grating comments by audiences.

- harapan. magic!

What you could do the next time someone asks to shuffle the cards say "Sure you can!" and start to hand them the cards, but right before they take them, pull your hand back and yell "OVER MY DEAD BODY!"

I had a guy once say something like "Oh that is good, I'll have to do that one for my son when I get home." after I did a trick that I knew he had no idea how it was done. So I said "Oh yea, what exactly are you going to do?" and that shut him up. I think he just did not want to admit that he had no idea how I did the trick. :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2007
The best one I heard recently was "there's two ways to do this trick, with applause or the way we're doing it right now."

The thing I hate most (and it's not really a phrase, it's an action.) is when people get so mad at things because it's not in baby steps for them. Let me explain a little more.

People complain about the patter of an effect or there isn't any patter, there's not a strong enough kicker make a better one, develop the patter for this blah blah blah

you shouldn't use the same patter as other people, including the creator, unless thats the ONLY patter you can think of for the effect, or it fits your performance style like a glove. If you don't like the ending of an effect or the method, create your own, don't complain about something you bought to the creator saying you don't like it.

Create your own stuff guys, I hate these people that need to be spoon fed, a ton of magic starts as an idea that most of the time other magicians finish, learn to create and imagine, don't just buy and perform.

~Beans

Sep 10, 2007
Here's something I don't really like people saying, "Magic TRICK." In my opinion, it makes it seem like we magicians are crooks or something cheating them out of something (even though, in a way, we are). I prefer to say "magic EFFECT." Just sounds a bit better, and a bit more professional.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I also don't like the word "magic trick". "Effect" sounds so much better and professional. I did magic tricks when I was 5.

This doesn't mean I go up to people in my school saying, "Oh you wanna see a magic effect?" I say, "You wanna see something." Or "Wanna see some magic?", but usually they come to me asking if I could show them a lil sumin sumin.

- Dan

Oct 14, 2007
Ploblem=solution. Ok so lets just say i show someone astral projection by jay sankey. They say do it again. not a problem. i already have my hands in my pocket so i switch to a reg deck of cards and do the biddle trick. So whenever someone ask you do do it again make sure you have a different way to do it again. I know you can't always, but most of the time you can.

Sep 1, 2007
oh yes, i hate "oh can you show me a magic trick?" It makes it sound soo... kidish. ahh idk it just annoys me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results