You know nothing until you've read this!

Sep 1, 2007
I'm surpised the blowhards that write for the New Yorker were capable of writing something like this...

Well, back in the 90's the New Yorker was a respectable publication.

But Jay is definitely an inspiration to me and while he's not the reason I got into magic, he's the reason I still do it. I mean, Paul Harris is great and Larry Jennings is great, and Dan and Dave are great, but none of them can touch Ricky Jay.

He is the best there may ever be. So like I said, if you care at all about sleight of hand or magic in general, you will take an hour out of your life to read the article. Because you really owe it to yourself.

Lex

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
What fantastic article. I had a copy of Cards as Weapons long ago, but that was well before I even considered anything like sleight of hand. (I was actually interested in the title subject.)

The article raises some really interesting questions. For example, how much sense does it make to talk about "So-and-So's Trick"? On one hand, Jay makes it clear that it's important to know where the trick came from. But on the other hand, he makes the point that there was always another So-and-So who did it earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if he could find a version for every technique in Expert at the Card Table somewhere in his incunabula. (Which is just an awesome word anyway.) So how far back do you go? Do you just attribute it to the most famous person who did it before? That seems dicey, but almost like the only option short of accumulating the vast knowledge Jay himself has.

I was also interested to hear about his view on secrets. It seems he was even loath to share them with other magicians (he even left his closest friends to figure out some of the effects). On the one hand, that would clearly condemn retail magic through places like T11 or Ellusionist--no offense to the folks here, but I can't imagine he has good things to say about that. It would also, though un-democratize magic to a great degree. fewer and fewer people would have the resources or geographical connections to learn magic well.

Perhaps, in a sense, the real secrets to magic are hidden in plain sight. The secret isn't in the technique--those are relatively public knowledge now, or at least readily accessible. The secret is in placing the technique in a context where it is invisible (whether that is a plotline/story, persona, sequence of moves, or whatever)--and that's something no book can do and no store can sell. Those are secrets you can only learn by watching others perform, and performing yourself.

I was most amazed by the first trick described. Jay was able to perform a trick even for someone who didn't know he was watching a trick--the magic began long before the spectator thought it had. I don't know whether that is "The Secret" to magic, but incorporating magic into your life in such a seamless way would probably be one of the huge keys to it, if there is one

Sep 1, 2007
What fantastic article. I had a copy of Cards as Weapons long ago, but that was well before I even considered anything like sleight of hand. (I was actually interested in the title subject.)

The article raises some really interesting questions. For example, how much sense does it make to talk about "So-and-So's Trick"? On one hand, Jay makes it clear that it's important to know where the trick came from. But on the other hand, he makes the point that there was always another So-and-So who did it earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if he could find a version for every technique in Expert at the Card Table somewhere in his incunabula. (Which is just an awesome word anyway.) So how far back do you go? Do you just attribute it to the most famous person who did it before? That seems dicey, but almost like the only option short of accumulating the vast knowledge Jay himself has.

I was also interested to hear about his view on secrets. It seems he was even loath to share them with other magicians (he even left his closest friends to figure out some of the effects). On the one hand, that would clearly condemn retail magic through places like T11 or Ellusionist--no offense to the folks here, but I can't imagine he has good things to say about that. It would also, though un-democratize magic to a great degree. fewer and fewer people would have the resources or geographical connections to learn magic well.

Perhaps, in a sense, the real secrets to magic are hidden in plain sight. The secret isn't in the technique--those are relatively public knowledge now, or at least readily accessible. The secret is in placing the technique in a context where it is invisible (whether that is a plotline/story, persona, sequence of moves, or whatever)--and that's something no book can do and no store can sell. Those are secrets you can only learn by watching others perform, and performing yourself.

I was most amazed by the first trick described. Jay was able to perform a trick even for someone who didn't know he was watching a trick--the magic began long before the spectator thought it had. I don't know whether that is "The Secret" to magic, but incorporating magic into your life in such a seamless way would probably be one of the huge keys to it, if there is one

Absolutely. Spot on. My thoughts exactly (and so forth).

Jay is the last of the Mohicans. It is a horrible feeling (for me at least) to realize that I'm perpetuating something which, in truth, is so detrimental to the art. On the other hand, I really and truly love magic. It may be the only thing I really love, and I mean that. So rather than assume that I'm some sort of exception, I can really only try to follow Jay's example.

I think that's the most any of us can hope for.

Jun 9, 2008
I read it the other night...

I was up late two nights ago and couldn't sleep when I stumbled upon this. Needless to say I was up till 3:30 and well worth it. The title of this thread should be "after you read this you will realize how little you know" The most important thing it did was inspire me. I guess without even realizing it I've slipped into that oooh I gotta have the next new thing coming out kinda guy and away from creating my own material or even thinking in a creative magical sense. Reading this brought me back to my childhood when I read not only about tricks but the lives of Dai, Marlo, and Houdini. Where has that child gone?... I think I'm going to go find him.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results