You mentalists out there, I need help.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Alright. I've got a product decision. I want to buy ParaLies or The Manchurian Approach. Which should I get first? I expect an answer from Prae or D ICE R at least. lol.

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Well... I'm not worth a Prae or a D ICE R (yet) but Paralies and TMA are two very differents things. If you want to do hypnosis, get TMA, if you want really good mentalism, get ParaLies. They are just two totally different products, so it's up to you and what you want to learn.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Well I love mentalism. It's so much fun. I know how different they are. I just wanted opinions on which product people would get first. I'm going to end up with both of them eventually.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
^ is correct... Both are brilliant, but they do very different things.

The Manchurian Approach, along with Reality is Plastic by the same author, is popularly considered amongst if not the best starting place for beginner hypnotists. If that's your thing, you can't go wrong.

ParaLies is another excellent book, but is dedicated more to mainstream mentalism. The material is simply different. To give you an idea, the effects are largely pseudo-suggestive, using non-suggestion techniques to create the illusion of suggestion. There are some new takes on old effects, an excellent discourse on equivoque, and some surprising new concepts and routines as well. It also contains Thought Chunnel, which is worth several times the price of the book (I know that this is often used in marketing... In this case, it's true).

So which should you get first... Basically, whatever interests you more. Do you want to perform mentalism first, or do you want to learn hypnosis first? Both products are fantastic value and I'm sure you'll enjoy them both.

Let me (or D ICE R) know if you need more help :)

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Ok heres the thing. I've been doing alot of stuff out of 13 Steps for a long time now and got into PK majorly over the last 3 months. I got Anate and Anate Extended and Psycho before the PK binge occurred and when the Pk binge happened I realized I didn't really have any mentalism that wasnt PK that I TRULY enjoyed. I had several things in mind and couldn't decide.

7 deceptions
Manchurian Approach
ParaLies
The Devil's Picturebook
The Glass Box

I do hope to end up with all of them but for now it's between ParaLies and TMa. Right now I'm leaning towards ParaLies.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Oh and Prae, one question. If you own ParaLies that is. I really want to perform Cinefauxbulation for my talent show routine. IS there a chance that it could mess up? Obviously everything has that chance but do you get what im asking?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
As you said, if the performer screws up somewhere there's obviously that chance. But yes, I know what you're asking - if there is no mistake on the performer's part in terms of the mechanics of the effect, there is no chance of messing up.

Everything on your list I either know is brilliant or I've heard very good things about.

How much of each you actually end up using will simply depend on you. The material is all very good in all of the above; but of course it doesn't mean you're gonna use everything.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Thanks for your help. BTW I just noticed your profile picture. Quite funny. I probably won't use everything on said list but I like to have an arsenal of things to go back and look at when I get bored. And I usually combine effects so I think I could make quite a show out of some of that material.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Sorry for the double post. Prae, since I'm going to be doing Cinefauxbulation onstage, could I have one of the audience members onstage throw a ball to members of the audience to say the day, time and movie?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Are you going to try to do Hypnosis for actual gigs or just on your friends?

If it's for actual gigs, then I'd suggest actually saving up and spending money on being properly trained in person. Otherwise if you screw up and somebody decides to sue you and your only defense is "I learned it from a DVD set." you're pretty much royally screwed.

The other thing mentioned is pretty much straight forward Mentalism. Though the two CAN work well together, it's one of those things you should think about.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I just wanted to dabble in hypnotism and heard TMA was very good. I just listened to the Joshua Quinn interview with Alvo Stockman. Im buying ParaLies tomorrow.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Both Paralies and TMA are very good products. I cannot really say anything on either subject that has not already been said.

One thing I will add though is that ParaLies' effects have a very psychological presentational slant. With that being said most of them have underlyingmethods that have been altered by Joshua Quinn. Hypnosis is very much the method is the effect. And I love it for that reason. The most important part of mentalism though is believability and everything in ParaLies and TMA are very believable take them for what they are and grow with te effects and the methods.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well said, D.

On the Cinefauxbulation question... Without giving too much away, yes, you or anyone else can randomly select spectators in any way you see fit. Spectator choice won't affect the outcome.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I remember when I got paralies I was off work sick I read about 80 pages in the first day and felt so much better. However I called in sick so I could have another day to finish it.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I got it a few days ago. It was very interesting. Deckquivoque was very good. I liked memorandom and CSICOP seems like it would be incredibly hard to pull off. Cinefauxbulation was not what I expected at all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results