Your "Must Include's" ?

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am curious as to what tricks / effects, fellow magicians must include, or always include when they do walkaround, whether it be for casual bars, or more fomal events.

I can tell you that digital disolve is now a part of mind =) (thanks t11).

I have recently started doing more walkaround at bars and for hired events in the Tokyo area, and was just seeing what else people have been including.

Ty

tokyoUW

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I was actually in Tokyo a while ago, I only performed once or twice but it went pretty well. Anyways I usually carry around an invisible deck on me, that effect works great. Other then that I recently got a raven so I've been taking that around with me as well.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
yeah. invis deck works wonders in Japan. Japan is all about simple yet visual. Don't beat around the bush too much, get to the set up, hype up the effect, do it.. done. My friend has used simple version of Crazy Man Handcuffs to help him finalize business deals for the largest Advertising firm in Japan. He doesnt do magic, he only knows CMH.

Cyril has a great version of Invis deck somehwere on youtube... using a cocktail shaker. Such a great way to do the trick.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
Ok firstly, I OWN the "Ty" sign off. Find your own...

Jk... but things might get kinda confusing lol....

Anyway, my staple effects include my ACR (duh), sponge balls, PK Time and a ring routine I use. This is in a close-up, strolling situation.

I also like taking Superman round with em whenever I can.

Ty

In a real good walkaround session, Ill bring a deck of masters, my Invisible deck, my 4 favorite gaff effects each loaded into a pocket and my coin rig (I dont really know what to call it, and cant reveal details due to exposure) which, based on what I have heard about ravens, is very similar to that or an M5. A few canadian half dollars, my trippy indian half Anna and 10 euro cents peice.

Sep 1, 2007
I always carry to gigs the following:

Regular red bikes
UMD
Deck prepared for colour changing deck routine
Quintuple Coincidence Deck
Sharpie
Wallet containing various "interesting" cards for specific effects
Elastic Bands
Rope and Ring Routine
Cord for finger ring+string routine
My wedding ring...which goes everywhere anyway...which I use for a ring routine.

I will always, always do my 3 card selection routine. Everything else depends on audience, environment and time constraints.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
ID is a great bit as it looks like skill and not a trick deck to be sure and there are many various ways to perform it. Personally I always have my jumbo index cards, some sharpie markers, a cube of green jell-o, and swing a ring.

However, I think being able to work off of what is on the table is better sometimes.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
UFO thread and beeswax... Floating something impromtu is always a crowd pleaser. Lame to most magicians, yes. MINDBLOWING for people who are slightly intoxicated, like at a bar or club.

KE

PS: Sponge bunnies are also good to have..... SIKE.

Sep 2, 2007
I alwaqys have a deck and a paperclip. (For ambitous clip from 5X5 Japan with my added phase) And soon I'm going to have a TT, spongeballs, and a colourchanging spongeball to large square.

Sep 30, 2007
I think a "must have" depends on, what the magicians speciality is. I´am only performing Magic with cards. Im not really interested in doing it with other things. So i usually just carry a pack of bycicles around with me. Normaly my Ghost and red or blue Masters (depending on my mood^^)

I everytime startup with pretending to "warm up" with some flourishes.
I have to say that, im NOT good in flourishing ^^ glad, i can do a Revolution Cut :D. The Best and "heaviest" cut i can do is the Genisis. So i do a couple of these in front of my friends, while talking to them and talking about, what the maybe like to see. (i only perform in front of friends. Not a street magician yet)
Really often i make a little tutorial-section out of that part. By showing them the Revolution cut for example and than try to teach them for about 5 minutes or so, before going on.

For me personally and my style of doing my routines it is highly important for me to start up with a "normal" ""pick a card, any card and i will find it in a cool kind of way""- trick. Just to let them get familiar with this magic thing. To let them lay back (becuz almost everybody knows this kind of card magic) just before i start to perform my personal bombastic ACR Routine not only uncluding the "putting the card in the middle rise to the top tricks".

Im one of the magicians, who really loves visual stuff. So i LOVE to combine Colourchanges and (for example) the TiVo 2.0 with my ambitious card.

Maybe becuz i everytime try to make the magic seeable for my friends. To hit them with a card visually changing or transpositioning in front of their eyes without any covering and things like that.

Most important part for me is, to beginn and end clean the whole time, so gimmicks do definitly NOT count to my "must haves" :)

ACR is a must for me , I always do that no matter what,

Card Switches, Always a crowd pleaser, especially when I do a 2 card switch between 2 spectators.

World's Greatest Card Trick, thats always a good one, (I only do this when I have my ghost deck on me)

and Weighted Aces By Gregory Wilson.

I do those four tricks no matter what.

Cheers, Tom

Sep 3, 2007
ACR and two card monte. a houdini (or what most people know as erdnase) colour change and shapeshifter for added kicker effects...

Sep 2, 2007
I would have to say ACR/The Trick That Fooled Houdini, Here and There, 2 Card Monte, 3 Card Monte, and Digital Dissolve (no, this is not a cheap plug :D).

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
TY for all of the replys. I am back in Tokyo again and have actually had a chance to do a friendly stroll around (for free, but fun) in my friend's bar. I am now carrying the following. Regular deck, Invis Deck, and Deck in Mnemonic stack ( I love Mnemonica). I do not always get to Mnemonica stuff, but when I do have a chance, I do 3 person multiple card selection (6-10 cards each person) and a full blown all 18-30 card prediction, as a closer. I also carry digital disolve and am always ready to do paperclipped. I am also starting to carry Frea-key (copper, silver key) on my keyring.

I generally start off with a paul green force routine, which leads nicely into ambitious, finishing with either card to wallet or paperclipped. After this I deck switch to either mnemonica deck or invis deck. If I am in a nice bar, I borrow a coctail shaker, and I do Cyril's version of Invis deck.

I generally stick to cards, but slowly am adding the coins, rubber bands, keys, etc...

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
While walk around i prefer not to dig in to my pocket of "goods" too often, so i have a deck prepared with couple supercard (by richard sanders, this is so visual, ucan even hand the gimmick out in a certain way that layman can never catch it and when it is mixed in the deck nobody can tell the difference either). 1 odd coloured card on the bottom, 1 pre signed card somewhere. with this im able to perform dozen of effects without ever needing to switch deck, when i dont need the odd coloured card i just leave it in the box.

and any other ring/coin can be borrowed.

i especially like the drink production from one of the videos from david stone during the walk around, it is a killer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results