Your thoughts on psychics...

How do you all feel about people like Sylvia Brown and Uri Gellar? I'm writting a psychology paper on the subject. I'm curious if magicians feel the same way I do about them. I was shocked when a magician friend of mine truley believes in them and I'm just curious how you guys all view them. This will really help with my paper. Thanks everyone.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Technically, although im a little dissapointed due to all the "exposure" around Uri Gellar, I don't mind him either way. He entertained people for a long time, and took it as far as he could. In that sense, he simply did his job as a magician with wide publicity. Although his image now affects the image of magic in general in some people's minds, thers nothing that can be done about it. The sooner people forget about the negativity the better IMO. :)

Technically, although im a little dissapointed due to all the "exposure" around Uri Gellar, I don't mind him either way. He entertained people for a long time, and took it as far as he could. In that sense, he simply did his job as a magician with wide publicity. Although his image now affects the image of magic in general in some people's minds, thers nothing that can be done about it. The sooner people forget about the negativity the better IMO. :)

Does him claiming to have psychic powers bother you? I'm not saying hes a fraud or has mystical powers, but does anyone who claims to posses "psychic" powers offend you at all is a little more detailed for what I need. Do you laugh when watching someone speak to the dead? Do you just think its a B.S. and change the channel? Or do you watch in wonder and try to discover how these powers could exist? Thank you by the way. I have never gotten that response before.

Being into magic and mentalism I know that many of these psychics simply like to exploit people's emotions for money and for their need to feel "powerful". It's annoying really. They're frauds and con artists. I don't know too much about Uri Geller but Sylvia Brown is an absolute joke. Does anyone even take her seriously anymore?

Psychics are frauds (for the most part) or delusional. The select few who might have some sort of ability are probably too scared to use their abilities.

Ah well we'll never know.

Mitch

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'm torn on this issue.

I do not believe it is right to claim psychic powers you don't have for financial gain. That is to say, cold reading and pretending to speak to someone that has died in order to make a lot of money as being a psychic.

This goes for 'pet' psychics too...I mean...I guess the people paying are crazy enough to pay someone to pretend to read the mind of an animal...but I do live in America, where ignorance is something some people pride themselves on having an abundance of...

-flipside-

Mentalism in the world of magic, from reading minds to metal work, when used for entertainment purposes is perfectly fine. I do tricks where I pretend to see what someone is thinking...its part of an act, if approached I'll actually tell them that I have no psychic powers-but then always add that if I did I would probably go around telling everyone I didn't have them, as to avoid the press.

Always leave them to believe whatever they want while telling them the truth.

-Rik

Jun 22, 2008
earth
I DESPISE anyone who claims they are psychic and would happily punch/slap them. They are PHONIES and should be treated that way. I have strong feelings toward these *******s cause I have experienced first hand the crap they try to pull on the ignorant (I was ignorant at one point). I met with a supposed reincarnated yogi who was supposed to tell peoples future, so I went with my relatives. He began talking to me and at the time I was wanting my band to be successful so I tell him that I play guitar, he says "yes, you are artistic and that comes from your father." I told him that my mother is WAY more artistic then he is so I would say that it would (if it does at all) come form her. he said "yes, you get your artistic ability from your mother." he said a bunch of other stuff and finished by saying that I will have all the money I would ever want and all the women I will ever want. what 22 year old guy would dispute that at that moment, it sounded great. but later when I was telling my friend I realized it was crap.
Later my cousin sister tells me that he told her that she was a princess in her past 20 lives and that he was her prince in all those lives and now they have been brought together now in this life. see my point?
My father was sucked into a pranic healer who claimed that she could answer any question , you ask and she would 'feel' the energy and give a yes or no answer. NOTHING she said came true.
a few months ago there was a psychic on the radio, 102the edge here in Toronto and I phoned in and got on the air and said that there are no such thing as psychics and began explaining that they use linguistic trickery known as cold and hot reading, that they fish for information. the psychic didn't say much other then "how do you explain nostrodomus predictions?" I laughed so hard I couldn't answer that. Mainly the hosts were saying "how dare you call up our show and insult our guest." And I basically said how dare she mislead the ignorant? eventually they hung up on me by saying "know what? guess what? know what? know what? know what? know what? know what?" yes they said it that many times cause I could tell what they were trying to do so I let him say it over and over then quickly said "I'm waiting" then they hung up.
so I turned on the radio to listen and the next caller asked if the psychic had a message from a friend that died recently. the psychic tells this woman that she didn't have a connection with the woman's friend but "I see a baby." the caller said "baby? but my children are all grown up already?" psychic says" yes, a baby and water, I see water and a baby." I felt so sorry for that woman.
So bascially should I come across a psychic in the future I will yell to everyone that they are a fake and not to listen to anything they have to say.
If you don't agree with me find Penn and Tellers Bull**** episode where they talk about psychics as well as Ricard Dawkins documentary in which Derren Brown explains it. Also in Derren Browns special Messiah he does a 'talking to the dead' bit and is BETTER then the 'actual' psychic's.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Derren Brown goes over the ethics of mindreading at various points in his publications, quite accurately so. But I digress - I don't believe it's right to make money using what you can pose and psychic powers. On the other hand, I feel rather apathetic towards the victims - sometimes Mother Nature finds funny ways to thin the herd...

Jun 22, 2008
earth

LOL!! thanks jonraiker I had a good laugh at that.

It reminds me of the psychic from the radio that I wrote about earlier. When I said that there was no such thing as psychics she aksed me "how come I'm in the top 1% here in Canada?" ofcourse I had nothing to say about it at the time but check out her site. make sure you look at the whole page.
http://www.psychicnikki.com/predictions.html

looking at the site again I recall her saying with a tone of pride in predicting the death of Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter", that really pissed me off cause I really liked the guy for his love of nature. Besides, I can recall even my family watching him and saying "this guy's crazy, he's going to be eaten by one of those crocodiles one day". He rocked!

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
They are con-artists. I will be honest in the fact that i have conned or cheated people before but psychics feed on the vulnerable and downtroden and it makes me sick.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
"How come I'm in the top 1% here in Canada?"

Because stupid people exist, in large numbers.

Reality rarely derives from perception, yet most confuse perception as reality, hence the saying that perception is reality.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Psychics- Charlatans.

Anybody claiming to have extra-normal ability in that sense is probably out to exploit somebody. Now, we face the problem of 'But wait, Surely magicians claim extra-normal ability...'

Well, yes and no. The fact is, no matter what angle a 'magician' takes, people know magic doesn't exist (certainly not in the sense of making a card jump back to the top of the deck...), that what we do isn't real. We aren't exploiting, we are just asking our audience to hang their logical belief system at the door in the name of entertainment.

Psychics however... I have a friend who has been deeply, thoroughly exploited in the past by the use of supposed 'Spirit mediums'. I won't gop into it here, but needless to say, it only further tainted my opinion on the practice.

Now a quick little story to illustrate the possible reasons it is a lucrative proposition...

"A couple of years ago, one of the bars I frequented was my unofficial testing ground for new material. One evening, I was having a few drinks, when I thought 'okay, lets go'. I approached a table and offered some free entertainment. I performed a couple of new effects, then finished with Stigmata. The couple I was performing for were suitably impressed. The lady asked me if I was psychic. I said no, so she insisted that I WAS psychic. I still said no. She DEMANDED a reading... So i thought 'Okay, lets mix it up'... I started cold reading her, with the intentions of explaining how I did it afterwards to prove my point. She, in turn said 'No, no, don't cold read me, I wan't specifics!'."

She knew what cold reading is, but didn't take it into account that they were probably paying weekly fee's to some charlatan with a crystal ball for very much the same thing. In this sense, It makes logical sense that people would want to do it for a living. But it still doesn't make it right.

CL

May 19, 2008
manchester
what I hate about pschics is that they completely and utterly use people...

like my freinds mum is a really nice clever person but she goes to these classes on how to be pschic and they have told her about cold reading but she still beleives in it.

people should want to talk to the dead, (I think) they should talk to live people, and also its impossible to talk to the dead anyway.

Nov 30, 2007
Psychics are fakes. I dont believe in them one bit nor do I believe that they should be telling people they are psychic.

I really am thankful for all the feedback I'm getting. I believe were all on the same page here. I have a feeling that my paper and my presentation will stir up some controversy in the class, but isn't that half the fun? Having good and health debates with everyone? My last paper about the bible heated things up a little bit, but thats what I'm known for at my school, going against the grain and not stopping because someone might feel uncomfortable. Keep the info coming guys!

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
i remember watching sylvia brown on montel a fewq years back
where she said that fairies, and basically unicorns excist, but we cant see them, only her

i couldnt help but laugh hysterically

one example of how people get suckered in by her, and most others, (i suggest using this example) just shows peoples stupidity

"sylvia, my mother died last year, i just want to know if shes around me"

umm....she wont say no...
"yes i can see a short, grey haired women behind you watching over your children"
wow!!!
its not hard to be psychic...

just live by this famous George Carlin quote
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Personally, I think that psychics are ok to a certain extent. I'm not saying I support them, but why is making money by telling people that you can contact the dead different than telling people that you can take something from out between their hands without them noticing or instantly swap two objects? This would make me feel alot more paranoid and insecure and I would always be checking my belongings.

The only problem I have with mediums is that they thrive off sadness; if somebody has lost a loved one, the medium thinks *Badabing! Business oppertunity!*
But really, do you hate undertakers? Coffin makers? They must be waiting eagerly for people to die as it gives them business. If people stopped dying, they would go out with the mediums and psychics. And yet we don't hate them.

Finally, what about religion? What's the difference between the psychics and the church? They take advantage of peoples beliefs and do it well. If you're suckered into it, then it's your own fault. Sorry to anybody that's religious here, but I'm just giving my honest opinion. I'm not saying I support mediums, I'm just trying to give people a more open mind to these things.

Personally I wouldn't do cold readings etc. and I don't believe in using people when they're at their most vulnerable, but I think we should try to look at it from all angles.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Personally, I think that psychics are ok to a certain extent. I'm not saying I support them, but why is making money by telling people that you can contact the dead different than telling people that you can take something from out between their hands without them noticing or instantly swap two objects? This would make me feel alot more paranoid and insecure and I would always be checking my belongings.

The only problem I have with mediums is that they thrive off sadness; if somebody has lost a loved one, the medium thinks *Badabing! Business oppertunity!*
But really, do you hate undertakers? Coffin makers? They must be waiting eagerly for people to die as it gives them business. If people stopped dying, they would go out with the mediums and psychics. And yet we don't hate them.

Finally, what about religion? What's the difference between the psychics and the church? They take advantage of peoples beliefs and do it well. If you're suckered into it, then it's your own fault. Sorry to anybody that's religious here, but I'm just giving my honest opinion. I'm not saying I support mediums, I'm just trying to give people a more open mind to these things.

Personally I wouldn't do cold readings etc. and I don't believe in using people when they're at their most vulnerable, but I think we should try to look at it from all angles.

The difference imo between magic and mediums; in your example, the medium would cost more than money - hope, belief, emotions, etc. Magic may cost a tip, but it's for entertainment's sake, not for contacting a loved one.

And the difference between an undertaker and a medium - we need the undertaker. Our tradition dictates for the majority of people a coffin. For practical reasons as much as anything else. If someone dies you're not gonna just keep them tucked away in bed, obviously.

Don't feel like getting into religious issues though... Don't get into a religion debate please guys...

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
And the difference between an undertaker and a medium - we need the undertaker. Our tradition dictates for the majority of people a coffin. For practical reasons as much as anything else. If someone dies you're not gonna just keep them tucked away in bed, obviously.

I wanna get cremated, personally. Good arguments though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results