Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Hi folks,

I have a YouTube channel , and lately I've been considering weather I should have put it up in the first place. I have read some threads on the forum concentrating on this topic. Moreover , I know of some people on this forum who also have YouTube channels. I think I received some responses in an earlier thread that I made on the same subject. I just want to see if I am justified in having a YouTube channel. Am I good enough? Where does one draw the line and say ok you are garbage? Or, hey you flashed so much you pretty much exposed the method? Here is my channel which I have not touched for at least a year due to this thought. process. https://www.youtube.com/user/Zudeck1985

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Reactions: wZEnigma
Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, I for one find no real problem with YouTube aside from there being far too many people who learn a sleight partially and then try to teach it for the views only, with no actual performance and popularity received from the views rather than becoming popular for being good at what they do.

There is nothing wrong with Youtube in general and there is nothing wrong with using it as a tool.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, but I feel that when it comes to magic (or any other art really), it should be seen as a performance for an audience. Magicians usually have a rule of thumb to not perform until they have mastered the method of the effect to a point as to not give the method away.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Anyone can have a channel. The word "deserve" doesn't really apply here.

Here's a thought though: People Google someone when wanting to hire them for a gig. Or if they enjoy a casual performance. What do you think that spectator or potential employer is going to think when they see a channel full of exposure? Casual performance audiences will certainly feel nothing magical about that. The people who have hired me to do shows have definitely had a negative opinion of people who expose tricks (it's seen as amateurish).

I would say, though, that if you cannot do a trick well enough to pull it off without flashing at all, at least once, you shouldn't post that to YouTube. Given that you have the option of multiple angles, multiple shoots, etc. there's no excuse for posting a video that flashes the method.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I'm assuming it is mostly performances? If so, there isn't any harm done! Performances can only help.

If you are teaching and or reviewing, Just make sure You go throughout thoroughly, explain multiple things about the technique (or product of you are reviewing it), give references, And don't do anything you think is going to be controversial, or belongs to someone else.

Nothing wrong with YouTube, Just some specific people on it, who unfortunately now make up a majority of magic based YouTube channels.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
hey you flashed so much you pretty much exposed the method
I would say, though, that if you cannot do a trick well enough to pull it off without flashing at all, at least once, you shouldn't post that to YouTube. Given that you have the option of multiple angles, multiple shoots, etc. there's no excuse for posting a video that flashes the method.
This

That is my main gripe about YouTube magicians and it equals exposure. Some people don't seem to realize you can just record it again until you get it right. If you flashed at all on video, you flashed too much. I say if you keep this in mind, go for it!

One thing I learned from Gary Vaynercuk that I still need to apply to my life is to "quit giving a **** what other people think" as he puts it. I believe you are perfectly fine having a YouTube channel if you want one. The only thing you shouldn't do is reveal other people's methods without getting their permission first or uploading any content that doesn't belong to you. If you follow those ethics you should be fine.

I know there are a lot of people on here that preach the evils of YouTube whether it they believe that YouTube magicians are copycats, boring, drama addicts, etc. Regardless it's all opinion. If they choose not to use YouTube as a marketing option than that is perfectly within their rights. But the data shows that it is vital to market yourself on social media platforms such as YouTube. A study was done with children between the ages of 10-13 and they found that the children knew more YouTube celebrities than they did celebrities on television. This is very important to consider since the generation surveyed will be the upcoming consumer base and it's so crucial to understand what their needs and wants are going to be and what they seem to enjoy are YouTube vloggers.

I can honestly say if I had listen to the opinions or "advice" of some people on the forums I wouldn't even be a magician today. I came on here about two years ago and was swarmed with negativity. At first it really got me down but when I started listening to magicians that were local and were actually a part of something credible (Masters of Illusion) I decided to go with their advice and it turned out for the best. Now I am getting gigs lined up and have a lot of plans in the works while they are still performing card tricks to webcams. What I'm getting at is do what you care about and don't waste your time letting their negativity hold you back.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
One thing I learned from Gary Vaynercuk that I still need to apply to my life is to "quit giving a **** what other people think" as he puts it. I believe you are perfectly fine having a YouTube channel if you want one. The only thing you shouldn't do is reveal other people's methods without getting their permission first or uploading any content that doesn't belong to you. If you follow those ethics you should be fine.

I know there are a lot of people on here that preach the evils of YouTube whether it they believe that YouTube magicians are copycats, boring, drama addicts, etc. Regardless it's all opinion. If they choose not to use YouTube as a marketing option than that is perfectly within their rights. But the data shows that it is vital to market yourself on social media platforms such as YouTube. A study was done with children between the ages of 10-13 and they found that the children knew more YouTube celebrities than they did celebrities on television. This is very important to consider since the generation surveyed will be the upcoming consumer base and it's so crucial to understand what their needs and wants are going to be and what they seem to enjoy are YouTube vloggers.
My take on youtube is essentially the same. No one should ever have to ask whether they should have a youtube or not, based on guilt. It's an open platform and it's an awesome tool for various things. My only issue with those using Youtube for magic related things is also the same as you've mentioned. 1. Never reveal methods that are not your own...or at least public domain. 2. Don't reveal things intentionally unless your platform is to teach...and you yourself are good at what you're teaching (i.e. Ramsey, Sankey, Russian Genius, etc). 3. If your platform is performance, then treat it as a performance and practice so that you don't flash all over the place unintentionally.

I can honestly say if I had listen to the opinions or "advice" of some people on the forums I wouldn't even be a magician today. I came on here about two years ago and was swarmed with negativity. At first it really got me down but when I started listening to magicians that were local and were actually a part of something credible (Masters of Illusion) I decided to go with their advice and it turned out for the best. Now I am getting gigs lined up and have a lot of plans in the works while they are still performing card tricks to webcams. What I'm getting at is do what you care about and don't waste your time letting their negativity hold you back.
Mic drop.

I have noticed the negativity pretty much everywhere in magic these days and have mentioned it not only here on the forum, but in private to some friends. If you express an opinion, rather than having an adult conversation, you get eaten alive but those on some type of ego trip. People also can't just scroll past something they aren't interested in, they have to take the time to put in their best effort to try to talk others into not being interested in it either. A good example for me recently was a personal experience with my new Patriot deck. I started a Kickstarter for it (in fact it's running right now). As soon as I began sharing the Kickstarter, a handful (definitely not the majority) began really dogging the entire project. One was because they "hate America." Two compared the deck to another deck (although my deck is artistically AND conceptually not the same...verified by the manufacturer of the other deck lol). One was "because there are too many playing cards out already." Lastly...one was because of nothing related to the deck at all. It was because I accidentally posted the link in his group because I clicked on the wrong tab in my browser lol. I laugh about it because I always try to be a positive person and I stay determined. However, it was quite discouraging. The project started out on fire and has now seemed to have stalled.

In many instances it really seems that the negativity comes from people who see others doing something that either A...they tried to do themselves and failed, or B...they don't have the ability to do but wished they did. Rather than wanting to be part of someone's success they simply take the stance of being bitter that it's not their own success.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results