COLLATERAL: Full Review

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
d+M sent me Collateral last night and asked me to do an honest yo doG reveiew… Although I do a lot of work with d+M I have been as bias as mutantly possible. It’s not generally within my nature to review things in forums but I feel this is d+M’s best work to date and as his last book deserves a little more attention…

TRIP…
A CARD IS TAKEN FROM THE DECK AND FOLDED IN HALF
HALF OF THE CARD IS SIGNED BY THE SPECTATOR - THE OTHER HALF IS SIGNED BY THE PERFORMER
THE CARD IS TORN IN HALF AND THE SPECTATORS HALF IS PLACED IN THE SPECTATORS HAND
THE OTHER HALF – SIGNED BY THE PERFORMER – IS WAVED ABOVE THE SPECTATORS SIGNED HALF – FACE UP
THE HALF INSTANTLY AND VISUALLY BECOMES THE SPECTATORS HALF
THE SPECTATORS HALF IS THEN SHOWN TO BE THE PERFORMERS HALF
THE TWO HALVES ARE THEN TAKEN AND SLOWLY RESTORED

…Under-rated! You wont believe how clean this is, there’s a lot of deception in play but the most important thing I want to point out is that you can show everything openly at all times… both sides of the cards, open and empty hands, nothing to steal or hide and it’s completely visual… You actually watch your own signature change into theirs without any cover what-so-ever. And what makes this even better is that it’s so easy!

TRANSTORN…
A CARD IS CHOSEN AND LOST IN THE DECK
ANOTHER CARD IS TAKEN AND TORN IN HALF – FACE UP
HALF BY HALF THE CARD CHANGES INTO THE SELECTION

…Simple, effective and to the point… The spectator sees the card as you tare it, they watch you put the pieces down one by one, and the pieces change, you’ll fool yourself in the mirror when you practice this one.

VANTAGE…
A DECK IS INTRODUCED THAT HAS A HOLE TORN OUT OF THE BACK OF THE BOX THROUGH WHICH THE CARDS, OR AT LEAST THE BOTTOM CARD CAN BE IDENTIFIED
THE CARDS ARE REMOVED AND THE HOLE IS INSPECTED
A CARD IS SELECTED, SIGNED AND RETURNED TO THE DECK
THE CARDS ARE SHUFFLE AND PLACED BACK INTO THE BOX; THE CARD SEEN THROUGH THE HOLE IS NOT THE SPECTATORS’ SELECTION
THE PERFORMER SIMPLY WAVES HIS HAND OVER THE HOLE CAUSING THE CARD INSIDE TO VISUALLY CHANGE INTO THE SIGNED SELECTED CARD
THE BOX IS INSTANTLY PASSED TO THE SPECTATOR FOR INSPECTION

…It appears that d+M likes to hide some of his better ideas within the afterthoughts of each effect, imagine Vantage with a Wynn deck, where the change happens through the box window, that’s how good it; highly visual and very easy.

REBOUND…
A SELECTED CARD PENETRATES THE TAPE OF A BOUND CARD TO BECOME BOUND WITH IT
A CARD IS INTRODUCED THAT IS COMPLETELLY BOUND BY TAPE
A CARD IS FREELY SELECTED
THE SELECTED CARD IS SLAMMED AGAINST THE BOUND CARD
THE SELECTED CARD IS THEN SHOWN TO HAVE PENETRATED THE TAPE TO BE COME BOUND WITH THE BOUND CARD… THE BOUND CARDS ARE THEN INSTANTLY HANDED OUT FOR INSPECTION AND CAN BE KEPT BY THE SPECTATOR

…One of my favorites! d+M’s answerback to the 2007 obsolete effect; BOUND. This is a masterpiece that can be instantly handed out for the spectator to inspect and keep, the visuals are crazy… If you didn’t get BOUND, get this, you won’t be disappointed.

DELUSION…
A CARD IS PLACED FACE DOWN IN THE PERFORMERS HAND
WHEN IT IS TURNED FACE UP THE CARD HAS CHANGED
BOTH HANDS ARE SHOWN EMPTY WITH ONLY ONE CARD IN HAND

…An amazing color change, or more of a switch for me. It’s exactly as it sounds… You’re holding only one card; a card dealt to you if you will, you place it face down and you can even ask the spectator to turn it over. Clean as soap, a real magician fooler!

OVERKILL…
A PREDICTION IS WRITTEN AND THE DECK IS HANDED TO THE SPECTATOR
THE SPECTATOR IS HANDED THE DECK AND ASKED TO DEAL ANY CARD FROM ANYWHERE IN THE DECK
THE PREDICTION IS TURNED OVER, THE CARD IS TURNED OVER… A PERFECT PREDICTION IS REVEALED

…Once again Daniel has found a technique so simple you would have never thought of it. It doesn’t get any fairer that having a spectator deal ANY card, and what’s good about this one is that you can show everybody the prediction before hand and even do it with somebody else’s deck without ever having to touch the cards.

INFLICTION…
A CARD IS FREELY SELECTED AND RETURNED TO THE DECK
THE PERFORMER ASKS THE SPECTATOR TO LIGHT THEIR LIGHTER
THE PERFORMER HANDS THE DECK TO THE SPECTATOR AND HOLDS TWO FINGERS IN THE FLAME OF THE LIGHTER
THE LIGHT IS EXTINGUISHED LEAVING THE PERFORMER WITH A BLISTER ON BOTH FINGERS WHICH ARE IN THE SHAPE OF THE SELECTED CARD – A 2 ON ONE FINGER AND A HEART ON THE OTHER

…By far the most valuable effect from Collateral. This is by far the best blister effect ever created, and that’s speaking from experience. No gimmicks! No external bulky objects that you have to squeeze or hide, it’s as simple and a smooth running as it says in the effect description, completely clean and nothing to hide.

BOXER…
A FREELY SELECTED AND SIGNED CARD PENETRATES AN EMPTY AND CLOSED CARD BOX THREE TIMES UNDER IMPOSSIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES

…A very clean signed card to box, this is a little slighty but well worth all the work. What drew me to this effect is that it’s completely impromptu and can be done with a borrowed deck.

FAN CHANGE…
A CARD IS TURNED FACE UP ON TOP OF THE DECK
THE PERFORMER FANS THE DECK, AT WHICH POINT THE FACE UP CARD INSTANTLY CHANGES

…Apart from CHANGE, this has to be d+M’s most powerful color change, it’s not what you think, no dropping a card to the top of the deck the moment before you fan, you actually see the card change through the motion of a fanned deck… The most visual effect from Collateral!

ENEMY…
A SELECTED CARD IS PLACED ON TOP OF THE DECK OVERLAPPING THE DECK
THE CARD IS TURNED OVER AND SHOWN TO HAVE CHANGED / VANISHED / SWITCHED

…A little gimmicky, but d+M does offer alternative handling that does not need the use of the gimmick. In my opinion it’s the weakest effect in Collateral, but I’m sure all the gimmick fans will love the idea and even more so t=what can be done with it.

THIRTEEN…
ALL OF THE SPADES ARE TAKEN FROM THE DECK AND RIBBON SPREAD
A CARD IS SELCTED FROM THE DECK
THE PERFORMER CLAIMS THAT HE WILL NOT ONLY VANISH THE SELECTED CARD BUT EVERY CARD FROM THAT SUIT… THE DECK IS SPREAD TO SHOW ONLY CLUBS AND DIAMONDS
THE RIBBON SPREAD SPADES IS CLOSED AND SPREAD ONCE AGAIN TO REVEAL A CONSECUTIVE SPREAD OF SPADES AND HEARTS WITH ONE CARD IN THE MIDDLE FACE DOWN… THE SELECTED CARD

…This is a gem and appeared to me to be a sequel to COMPRESSION… There is a technique/sleight/concept in this effect that is absolutely flawless that means you don’t have to do any palming, stealing or tricky slights, it really is as clean and beautiful as it sounds. The visuals of seeing a ribbon spread pile of Spades become a mixture of Spades and Hearts is such a powerful moment, you’ll want to keep doing it just to impress yourself!

HALF TRIUMPH…
WITH A SIGNED SELECTED CARD PROTRUDING THE DECK, THE PERFORMER IS ABLE TO MAKE THE DECK TURN FACE UP WITHOUT CAUSING THE SELECTED CARD TO MOVE
HE REPEATS THIS CAUSING THE DECK TO TURN FACE DOWN, ONCE AGAIN THE SELECTED CARD DOESN’T MOVE
THE DECK IS THEN SPLIT AND MIXED UP, HALF OF THE DECK FACE UP AND HALF FACE DOWN WITH THE SELCTED CARD SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE
THE CARDS ARE THEN SPREAD TO SHOW ONLY ONE CARD FACE DOWN… THE SELECTED CARD

…What a way to end such a powerful book! Half Triumph is hands down the most impressive and amazing effect in the book. It’s under-rated in the effect description… It’s so so clean, everything can be shown fairly throughout… no dodgy moves or hidden subterfuge, this one will join your working repertoire instantly!

OVERALL… 9.95 / 10 for this, if it weren’t for Enemy I would have rated a 10/10. By far the best work ever from Daniel Madison… Amazing value for money as always and a read that offers further insight in the mind of d+M

If you like d+M’s work you won’t be let down by this one, he’s cut back on gimmicks and paid focus to easy and highly effective pieces. You can check it out here…

http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/Collateral.html

Available Devils Night 2008 (Thursday 30th)

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
I know what ill be getting for Devil's night :) any idea how much it will cost in USD? or for rebound will they teach bound or do i have to learn it somewhere else? i always wanted to get bound. :) Thanks in advanced :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
How many of these require the construction of a gimmick?

Basically, would you say this is closer to Thoughts of a Madman (which half your material, right?) or Identity?

Sounds really cool, though.

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
Trip has a little hidden piece but by no means is it a gimmick, you don't even have to make it as such as you'll already have it. And it's not something you wont want to carry.
Vantage has, lets say a Gaff that you can make in about 1 minute with things you'll already have
Rebound itself is something of a gimmick as you need to tape a card up
I won't say anything about Infliction other than WOWAWEEWOW, you're gonna love it!
Enemy has a gimmick - in my opinion a crappy one, but gimmick fans will like it as it hides in your deck as a normal card, however he does teach a version that doesn't need the gimmick.
Other than that it's all easy to do stuff, the kind of stuff that you think 'why didn't i think of that?' So in total there are 3 and a half gimmicks throughout the entire book

I think D's going to make a video soon to show off some of the more visual effects, at least i hope he does because some of the effects aren't justified by the effect descriptions

Dec 19, 2007
Italy ,Milano
d+M sent me Collateral last night and asked me to do an honest yo doG reveiew… Although I do a lot of work with d+M I have been as bias as mutantly possible. It’s not generally within my nature to review things in forums but I feel this is d+M’s best work to date and as his last book deserves a little more attention…

TRIP…
A CARD IS TAKEN FROM THE DECK AND FOLDED IN HALF
HALF OF THE CARD IS SIGNED BY THE SPECTATOR - THE OTHER HALF IS SIGNED BY THE PERFORMER
THE CARD IS TORN IN HALF AND THE SPECTATORS HALF IS PLACED IN THE SPECTATORS HAND
THE OTHER HALF – SIGNED BY THE PERFORMER – IS WAVED ABOVE THE SPECTATORS SIGNED HALF – FACE UP
THE HALF INSTANTLY AND VISUALLY BECOMES THE SPECTATORS HALF
THE SPECTATORS HALF IS THEN SHOWN TO BE THE PERFORMERS HALF
THE TWO HALVES ARE THEN TAKEN AND SLOWLY RESTORED

…Under-rated! You wont believe how clean this is, there’s a lot of deception in play but the most important thing I want to point out is that you can show everything openly at all times… both sides of the cards, open and empty hands, nothing to steal or hide and it’s completely visual… You actually watch your own signature change into theirs without any cover what-so-ever. And what makes this even better is that it’s so easy!

TRANSTORN…
A CARD IS CHOSEN AND LOST IN THE DECK
ANOTHER CARD IS TAKEN AND TORN IN HALF – FACE UP
HALF BY HALF THE CARD CHANGES INTO THE SELECTION

…Simple, effective and to the point… The spectator sees the card as you tare it, they watch you put the pieces down one by one, and the pieces change, you’ll fool yourself in the mirror when you practice this one.

VANTAGE…
A DECK IS INTRODUCED THAT HAS A HOLE TORN OUT OF THE BACK OF THE BOX THROUGH WHICH THE CARDS, OR AT LEAST THE BOTTOM CARD CAN BE IDENTIFIED
THE CARDS ARE REMOVED AND THE HOLE IS INSPECTED
A CARD IS SELECTED, SIGNED AND RETURNED TO THE DECK
THE CARDS ARE SHUFFLE AND PLACED BACK INTO THE BOX; THE CARD SEEN THROUGH THE HOLE IS NOT THE SPECTATORS’ SELECTION
THE PERFORMER SIMPLY WAVES HIS HAND OVER THE HOLE CAUSING THE CARD INSIDE TO VISUALLY CHANGE INTO THE SIGNED SELECTED CARD
THE BOX IS INSTANTLY PASSED TO THE SPECTATOR FOR INSPECTION

…It appears that d+M likes to hide some of his better ideas within the afterthoughts of each effect, imagine Vantage with a Wynn deck, where the change happens through the box window, that’s how good it; highly visual and very easy.

REBOUND…
A SELECTED CARD PENETRATES THE TAPE OF A BOUND CARD TO BECOME BOUND WITH IT
A CARD IS INTRODUCED THAT IS COMPLETELLY BOUND BY TAPE
A CARD IS FREELY SELECTED
THE SELECTED CARD IS SLAMMED AGAINST THE BOUND CARD
THE SELECTED CARD IS THEN SHOWN TO HAVE PENETRATED THE TAPE TO BE COME BOUND WITH THE BOUND CARD… THE BOUND CARDS ARE THEN INSTANTLY HANDED OUT FOR INSPECTION AND CAN BE KEPT BY THE SPECTATOR

…One of my favorites! d+M’s answerback to the 2007 obsolete effect; BOUND. This is a masterpiece that can be instantly handed out for the spectator to inspect and keep, the visuals are crazy… If you didn’t get BOUND, get this, you won’t be disappointed.

DELUSION…
A CARD IS PLACED FACE DOWN IN THE PERFORMERS HAND
WHEN IT IS TURNED FACE UP THE CARD HAS CHANGED
BOTH HANDS ARE SHOWN EMPTY WITH ONLY ONE CARD IN HAND

…An amazing color change, or more of a switch for me. It’s exactly as it sounds… You’re holding only one card; a card dealt to you if you will, you place it face down and you can even ask the spectator to turn it over. Clean as soap, a real magician fooler!

OVERKILL…
A PREDICTION IS WRITTEN AND THE DECK IS HANDED TO THE SPECTATOR
THE SPECTATOR IS HANDED THE DECK AND ASKED TO DEAL ANY CARD FROM ANYWHERE IN THE DECK
THE PREDICTION IS TURNED OVER, THE CARD IS TURNED OVER… A PERFECT PREDICTION IS REVEALED

…Once again Daniel has found a technique so simple you would have never thought of it. It doesn’t get any fairer that having a spectator deal ANY card, and what’s good about this one is that you can show everybody the prediction before hand and even do it with somebody else’s deck without ever having to touch the cards.

INFLICTION…
A CARD IS FREELY SELECTED AND RETURNED TO THE DECK
THE PERFORMER ASKS THE SPECTATOR TO LIGHT THEIR LIGHTER
THE PERFORMER HANDS THE DECK TO THE SPECTATOR AND HOLDS TWO FINGERS IN THE FLAME OF THE LIGHTER
THE LIGHT IS EXTINGUISHED LEAVING THE PERFORMER WITH A BLISTER ON BOTH FINGERS WHICH ARE IN THE SHAPE OF THE SELECTED CARD – A 2 ON ONE FINGER AND A HEART ON THE OTHER

…By far the most valuable effect from Collateral. This is by far the best blister effect ever created, and that’s speaking from experience. No gimmicks! No external bulky objects that you have to squeeze or hide, it’s as simple and a smooth running as it says in the effect description, completely clean and nothing to hide.

BOXER…
A FREELY SELECTED AND SIGNED CARD PENETRATES AN EMPTY AND CLOSED CARD BOX THREE TIMES UNDER IMPOSSIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES

…A very clean signed card to box, this is a little slighty but well worth all the work. What drew me to this effect is that it’s completely impromptu and can be done with a borrowed deck.

FAN CHANGE…
A CARD IS TURNED FACE UP ON TOP OF THE DECK
THE PERFORMER FANS THE DECK, AT WHICH POINT THE FACE UP CARD INSTANTLY CHANGES

…Apart from CHANGE, this has to be d+M’s most powerful color change, it’s not what you think, no dropping a card to the top of the deck the moment before you fan, you actually see the card change through the motion of a fanned deck… The most visual effect from Collateral!

ENEMY…
A SELECTED CARD IS PLACED ON TOP OF THE DECK OVERLAPPING THE DECK
THE CARD IS TURNED OVER AND SHOWN TO HAVE CHANGED / VANISHED / SWITCHED

…A little gimmicky, but d+M does offer alternative handling that does not need the use of the gimmick. In my opinion it’s the weakest effect in Collateral, but I’m sure all the gimmick fans will love the idea and even more so t=what can be done with it.

THIRTEEN…
ALL OF THE SPADES ARE TAKEN FROM THE DECK AND RIBBON SPREAD
A CARD IS SELCTED FROM THE DECK
THE PERFORMER CLAIMS THAT HE WILL NOT ONLY VANISH THE SELECTED CARD BUT EVERY CARD FROM THAT SUIT… THE DECK IS SPREAD TO SHOW ONLY CLUBS AND DIAMONDS
THE RIBBON SPREAD SPADES IS CLOSED AND SPREAD ONCE AGAIN TO REVEAL A CONSECUTIVE SPREAD OF SPADES AND HEARTS WITH ONE CARD IN THE MIDDLE FACE DOWN… THE SELECTED CARD

…This is a gem and appeared to me to be a sequel to COMPRESSION… There is a technique/sleight/concept in this effect that is absolutely flawless that means you don’t have to do any palming, stealing or tricky slights, it really is as clean and beautiful as it sounds. The visuals of seeing a ribbon spread pile of Spades become a mixture of Spades and Hearts is such a powerful moment, you’ll want to keep doing it just to impress yourself!

HALF TRIUMPH…
WITH A SIGNED SELECTED CARD PROTRUDING THE DECK, THE PERFORMER IS ABLE TO MAKE THE DECK TURN FACE UP WITHOUT CAUSING THE SELECTED CARD TO MOVE
HE REPEATS THIS CAUSING THE DECK TO TURN FACE DOWN, ONCE AGAIN THE SELECTED CARD DOESN’T MOVE
THE DECK IS THEN SPLIT AND MIXED UP, HALF OF THE DECK FACE UP AND HALF FACE DOWN WITH THE SELCTED CARD SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE
THE CARDS ARE THEN SPREAD TO SHOW ONLY ONE CARD FACE DOWN… THE SELECTED CARD

…What a way to end such a powerful book! Half Triumph is hands down the most impressive and amazing effect in the book. It’s under-rated in the effect description… It’s so so clean, everything can be shown fairly throughout… no dodgy moves or hidden subterfuge, this one will join your working repertoire instantly!

OVERALL… 9.95 / 10 for this, if it weren’t for Enemy I would have rated a 10/10. By far the best work ever from Daniel Madison… Amazing value for money as always and a read that offers further insight in the mind of d+M

If you like d+M’s work you won’t be let down by this one, he’s cut back on gimmicks and paid focus to easy and highly effective pieces. You can check it out here…

http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/Collateral.html

Available Devils Night 2008 (Thursday 30th)

How many tricks require a gimmick??

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
Sorry if im repeating but is rebound a second phrase independent but performed together with bound? Do i have to know bound to do rebound? And is bound taught in Collateral? and if not can anyone direct me to a source where i can find it since i cant purchase bound anymore on his site. Thanks in advance :) cause bound is one effect i really wanted to get and cant find anymore.

Jul 21, 2008
Finland
Do i have to know bound to do rebound? And is bound taught in Collateral? and if not can anyone direct me to a source where i can find it since i cant purchase bound anymore on his site. Thanks in advance :) cause bound is one effect i really wanted to get and cant find anymore.

You can't buy Bound anymore. It was so similar to Jay Sankeys "Housebound" effect so it was pulled off from Daniels site.
You dont have to know bound to do rebound, i guess?

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
Bound saw a selected card penetrate the tape that bound the card box, ReBound sees a single card that is bound that is completely examinable. The selected card then penetrates the tape to become bound with it. It's all fully explained and you don't need to know anything about Bound to be able to achieve it.
In my opinion, ReBound is miles better than Bound as the final bound cards can be instantly handed out for the spectator to keep.

Sep 1, 2007
Me gettin this! Some of the effects sound killer. Do you really think this is his best material? I hope he makes a vid.

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
Me gettin this! Some of the effects sound killer. Do you really think this is his best material? I hope he makes a vid.

In my opinion it is his best, he has said that this will be his last book for a while so i guess he saved his best for last.

Agreed, a trailer would be off the hizzle

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Thanks for the info R3man, I am very interested in this. :)

I really hope Daniel makes a promo video to show off some of these, especially the fan change and trip.

lol, beg him for a video... ;) Or do you think he lacks the energy to do that right now?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results