True Astonishments

Nov 12, 2008
Directly from magic cafe...

"Paul Harris' True Astonishments DVD set is finally coming to the finish line and will be available around the first month or two of 2009. I know there has been an incredibly long delay as the project was basically started over completely 3 different times. The good news is this has made the project so much better than when it first started a number of years ago. The production and the material is just SO much better than where this started. Paul set very strict standards on this project and was willing to keep pushing until it was exactly what he wanted and the level he wanted in both the production and in the material.

Initially (for about 4-6 months) the True Astonishment DVD set will only be released as an amazing collector's set. It consists of 9 DVDs in a beautiful custom made wooden box. The box alone is worth at least 50 bucks. There is a secret puzzle box aspect to this for opening the box. Would love your feedback as to if you want to discover the secret yourself or if you want the clue right up front.

Each of the 9 DVDs will come with a special prop in this collector's set.

This is the last big multi volume project that Paul will create. TA is truly the culmination of the highest level of Paul's creative powers. Al thought $300 is a lot of money, especially in today's economy, I believe that this is under priced at that and a real bargain. For those who invest in this I can assure you it will be one of the best purchases you will ever make in magic and probably one of the most important projects to have come out in magic in many years. The material is simply unbelievable. Paul and his production crew cut out anything that was not tested rock solid, A+,real world material...all with breakthrough methods and handlings that are truly astonishing.

As Paul has described some of the newer creations over the last several months I always find myself thinking "wow that is fantastic". In Art of Astonishments and some of Paul's other books there was an occasional pipe dream effect to get one's creative juices flowing. In True Astonishments the routines are all tested work horses and just super strong- some of the strongest magic to hit the market in a long time. And as with the best of Paul's material, the methods and theories behind these new pieces are as exciting as the effects themselves.

The 9 DVDs include performances and teaching by Bro Gilbert, Andrew Gerard, Wayne Houchin, and many others with Paul taking us through this journey. There are interviews between Paul and some of the top magicians in the world. There are a handful of weird pieces of strange that are really not magic but just cool things to enjoy. But going back to the main material... you could take a number of the items off this set, learn them, and never need to learn another effect again. Many of the creations represent THE PERFECT SOLUTION to classic PH effects. To name one, Paul's solution to changing a borrowed bill in a spectator's hand will simply stop you in your tracks. Wait until you see his new Vanishing Deck in a spectator's pocket.

Paul is not the same guy you saw on the old Stars of Magic videos/DVDs. He's still got that quirky/fun side but he's just more "solid". This is very reflective in the look/feel of the DVDs and quite frankly the whole project from production to material. You'll get a great idea of where Paul is if you watch the Reel Magic Quarterly # 1 interview I did with Paul or read the article Eric Mead wrote in Magic Magazine.

Over the next month I will be going through and discussing some of the highlights of all of the DVDs. This will be a little challenging for me because almost every effect is a highlight. It's hard though to express how strong these items are. I can assure you this is not hype. If you are concerned about that then you should not take my word but instead wait for some of the feedback from those who get this. It's a big investment so you should not take it lightly but those that get it will be absolutely delighted. Almost any effect in this set could have easily been released as a stand alone item.

This will undoubtedly be one of the most important releases to come along in years. More info to follow... just wanted to give everyone an update. -Tim Trono "

If anyone knows... will these have the effects from Art of Astonishment or will they be completely different effects? I had my eyes on the books for a while but hearing this is about to come out, I didn't want to get the book version if they video is going to come out only months from now... other than that... may the anticipation begin! :)

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I am pretty certain they contain a lot of the material from the books, along with improvments on the handlings, as well as new material.

I believe they do not contain everything from the books though. Also, the books have a LOT of other valuable essays and thoughts in them which I would imagine will not be in the dvds, unless they are just reading them, lol.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Its not all new Paul Harris effects, it has some uppdated/different handelings from some AOA effects, some new Paul Harris effects and some effects from other performers.

I also read that Paul Harris wont be performing/teaching on the dvd set, he did let other people do that.

The set is 300 dollars, im sure its going to be worth it but to me thats to much to spend on magic.

Jan 19, 2008
I was speaking with some really inside people and they claim 80 percent of it is............NEW MATERIAL!!! I cant wait!!!

Nov 8, 2007
No matter what it is 300 dollars is way too much for it. Especially with today's economy. I'd rather get the books(which I will soon).

The Art of Astonishment books and the True Astonishment DVDs are not the same material. Some of the material on the DVDs are updated takes and handlings on old PH effects, but the majority of the material is new.

Not sure how you can say "no matter what" though. I think there are lots of factors that determine whether the price is justified or not. Each DVD contains an average of 4 effects and is being sold at an average of $33.30--that's $8.34 per effect at a time when almost every single effect coming out is going for $25-$30 on its own DVD. And that price doesn't even include the extras, interviews, props, or collector's box. I say wait and see if you're having your doubts.

The Art of Astonishment books and the True Astonishment DVDs are not the same material. Some of the material on the DVDs are updated takes and handlings on old PH effects, but the majority of the material is new.

Not sure how you can say "no matter what" though. I think there are lots of factors that determine whether the price is justified or not. Each DVD contains an average of 4 effects and is being sold at an average of $33.30--that's $8.34 per effect at a time when almost every single effect coming out is going for $25-$30 on its own DVD. And that price doesn't even include the extras, interviews, props, or collector's box. I say wait and see if you're having your doubts.

I will wait. As of now I want to get it but can't afford it. Maybe they might be nice and make it less. You never know what might happen;)

D

Deleted member 2755

or collector's box.

I don't pay for art. I pay for the quality of the material of what's in the box. ;) Anyway,this set might be expensive, but think about what your getting. Its 9 DVD's from Paul Harris. Not just him though, many people. There are many single DVD effects out on the market today that you pay on average between $20 and $30. For $300, you are getting 9 DVD's with quite a few tricks on each with alternate handlings and such. In addition to this, you get all the features, interviews, etc.

Obviously this set is expensive. I won't be able to afford it at the time of release I'm sure. I probably won't be able to afford it for some time after the release either. However, this purchase I'm sure is one of the best you can possibly make in magic. I'll try to get this someday. I'm sure I wouldn't regret it. This set is amazing I'm sure.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Nebraska
Guys, stop what you're doing right now and go to the True Astonishments site - http://www.trueastonishments.com/ There you will find effect descriptions, a trailer, a special deal that's going on, commentary, and much more. I promise that when you finish reading it that you will be drooling because the effects seem so impossible, but Paul has found a way. Check it out and spread the news!

Sep 1, 2007
Nebraska
I say that the trailer is one of the most well done trailers I've seen. It features so much, yet there's so much more! I read on the Cafe that there's around 40 easter eggs on the DVDs, so that will keep us occupied for a while.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I love the trailer, specially the music (it makes me feel nostalgic)...
And i am getting this set ASAP.

Just one taught: Isn't TOOC DVD coming up? 50 hours of footage, multiple dvd's?
That will also cost much, and will also have alot of great material to keep you busy for a long time....
What will you choose, TA or TOOC? ;)

Sep 1, 2007
Nebraska
I would probably choose TA because I don't really know about TOOC and would want to get the book first to make a decision. When is TOOC coming out?

But 50 hours of footage? That's alot of material!

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
I would probably choose TA because I don't really know about TOOC and would want to get the book first to make a decision. When is TOOC coming out?

But 50 hours of footage? That's alot of material!

No offense to Chris Kenner, and Totally Out of Control is great stuff, but it's Paul Harris. The guy who wanted to make a self-vanish by running out of a room while a spectator looked at him through a paper tube.

It's Paul Harris.

Come on.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
No offense to Chris Kenner, and Totally Out of Control is great stuff, but it's Paul Harris. The guy who wanted to make a self-vanish by running out of a room while a spectator looked at him through a paper tube.

It's Paul Harris.

Come on.
Classic. I wish I could sticky that comment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results