Cards do NOT fan like "butter"

"Fans like butter":

A fan is somebody who bets on a team because he likes the team. To a fan, the spread is an important detail in betting.

Butter is a dairy product made by churning fresh cream. It consists of an emulsion of water and milk proteins in a matrix of fat, with over 80% being fat. It is used as a condiment and for cooking in much the same ways as vegetable oils or lard.

The saying "Fans like butter" means "Spreads like Butter," when taking into context the definitions of the words.

In my opinion, butter spreads seamlessly on my toast; ergo, this expression aptly can be used as an analogy to cards which also fan/spread seamlessly, like butter. :D

Cheers,
JTM

Richard,

I see your point but after reading how Jack The Magician breaks it down. It's hard to argue with the expression.

Fans like butter could very well mean that it spreads smoothly as butter would.

Jack the Magician. You turned me around.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Chill out guys, I know the exact reason behind this.

One day Brad Christian was walking around and he came upon an old homeless man. He saw that the man had a Black Tiger Deck so he ran up to him and said hi. The man looked at him and then whispered into his ear... "I know the secret that will make your cards the best in the world... follow me."

So Brad Christian followed the man through a back alley into an old butter factory. They passed by abandoned machinery until they saw a golden vault. There was a brilliant sign across the door that said "MAGIC BUTTER." Brad Christian and the homeless guy walked into the vault, and saw thousands of sticks of butter.

"Don't be fooled" said the homeless guy looking around, "It's not really butter, it's magic butter... go ahead, taste some."

So Brad Christian did and exclaimed to the guy "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER!"

Anyways, Brad Christian bought the old butter factory and turned it into a card making factory were he made lots of exclusive decks for his website. He would put the magic butter on all of the cards, and it would make them fan amazingly!

Some say that the UV500 actually stands for UV500STICKSOFBUTTER, but no one really knows.

For more information visit www.whatismagicbutter.com

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
QFT. It's language. It's a simile. Language is flexible, and restricting it like this is a little ridiculous, no?

People say "jumpy as a jackrabbit". What "jumpy" do they mean? The "jumpy" that means one is a complete bag of nerves, or that which means one has a tendency to jump? Surely jackrabbits are not always nervous wrecks. Then why is it used to describe people being nervous?

Same thing here.

Actually, the bag of nerves/jumpy implication is more direct, as some one who is a wreck of nerves will actually have the tendency to jump easily when startled.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Richard,

I see your point but after reading how Jack The Magician breaks it down. It's hard to argue with the expression.

Fans like butter could very well mean that it spreads smoothly as butter would.

Jack the Magician. You turned me around.

Ah hem, actually I was the first to point out the spread like butter to fan like butter link, thank you very much. :p

Any who, I posted that original exposition of the phrase just for clarity, but I have not taken any of the rest of the thread to be serious. Well, outside of those few who are trying to antagonize after thinking others were seriously offended by the phrase. That was just hilarious.

Sep 1, 2007
I believe it all goes back to 1933 when San Diego was first discovered by the Germans. We now know that San Diego was really called "San Diago" and we also know it's meaning to be an old wooden ship. Now this ship was carrying butter from Singapore to San Diago. Unfortunately it was sunk by the Dr. Seuss monster. All that was left was a deck of cards and a stick of butter.

These two items drifted apart from each other, the Cards ended up in Canada, and the butter in Antarctica. These two items then never saw each other again.

And that's the story of Santa Claus and his seven dwarfs.

Mitchell

Hahahhahahahahahha... i just laughed for like 10 minutes lol.

Sep 1, 2007
Chill out guys, I know the exact reason behind this.

One day Brad Christian was walking around and he came upon an old homeless man. He saw that the man had a Black Tiger Deck so he ran up to him and said hi. The man looked at him and then whispered into his ear... "I know the secret that will make your cards the best in the world... follow me."

So Brad Christian followed the man through a back alley into an old butter factory. They passed by abandoned machinery until they saw a golden vault. There was a brilliant sign across the door that said "MAGIC BUTTER." Brad Christian and the homeless guy walked into the vault, and saw thousands of sticks of butter.

"Don't be fooled" said the homeless guy looking around, "It's not really butter, it's magic butter... go ahead, taste some."

So Brad Christian did and exclaimed to the guy "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER!"

Anyways, Brad Christian bought the old butter factory and turned it into a card making factory were he made lots of exclusive decks for his website. He would put the magic butter on all of the cards, and it would make them fan amazingly!

Some say that the UV500 actually stands for UV500STICKSOFBUTTER, but no one really knows.

For more information visit www.whatismagicbutter.com

Hahahhaa... wow nice one!

Sep 2, 2007
Ah hem, actually I was the first to point out the spread like butter to fan like butter link, thank you very much. :p

Any who, I posted that original exposition of the phrase just for clarity, but I have not taken any of the rest of the thread to be serious. Well, outside of those few who are trying to antagonize after thinking others were seriously offended by the phrase. That was just hilarious.

Nice try, buddy. I was the seventh person and/or magician to post a response on this topic and/or thread. Between the first and the seventh response, I have yet to see a post and/or "original exposition" by and/or stated by you :D.

Fan like butter?

No. This is not right.

Butter can't fan and its very sticky not smooth.

You should try putting the butter on your fan and then try to do it again.

hahaha XD

You might want to check out my explanation to the phrase, which someone whom I shall not name (look above :D) has mistaken for his:

"Fans like butter":

A fan is somebody who bets on a team because he likes the team. To a fan, the spread is an important detail in betting.

Butter is a dairy product made by churning fresh cream. It consists of an emulsion of water and milk proteins in a matrix of fat, with over 80% being fat. It is used as a condiment and for cooking in much the same ways as vegetable oils or lard.

The saying "Fans like butter" means "Spreads like Butter," when taking into context the definitions of the words.

In my opinion, butter spreads seamlessly on my toast; ergo, this expression aptly can be used as an analogy to cards which also fan/spread seamlessly, like butter.

Cheers,
JTM

I believe that the Merriam-Webster World Dictionary considers this the strict meaning and/or definition to the phrase :D.

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Nice try, buddy. I was the seventh person and/or magician to post a response on this topic and/or thread. Between the first and the seventh response, I have yet to see a post and/or "original exposition" by and/or stated by you :D.

You might want to check out my explanation to the phrase, which someone whom I shall not name (look above :D) has mistaken for his:

I believe that the Merriam-Webster World Dictionary considers this the strict meaning and/or definition to the phrase :D.

Cheers,
JTM

Woops, my mistake. for some reason i though mine was like the third post. Sorry bout the confusion.

Sep 2, 2007
Woops, my mistake. for some reason i though mine was like the third post. Sorry bout the confusion.

Don't worry about it.

The :D usually means I'm joking or being sarcastic. Anyway, we all have seen things with our eyes that aren't really there -- it's an illusion, a part of magic, of which I am a master :D. (Again, I'm joking -- I don't not want to hear comments about how much I $&@%!@#$%, I know I do. :D)

Cheers,
JTM

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Don't worry about it.

The :D usually means I'm joking or being sarcastic. Anyway, we all have seen things with our eyes that aren't really there -- it's an illusion, a part of magic, of which I am a master :D. (Again, I'm joking -- I don't not want to hear comments about how much I $&@%!@#$%, I know I do. :D)

Cheers,
JTM

Wait, that last smiley meant you were joking about the previous statement...

Sep 24, 2007
www.myspace.com
I think, more than anything, this is a health issue. For your cardiac well-being, I URGE you to change it to "fans like olive oil"!

haha that's hilarious. and i can't believe this is actually a serious topic on a forum. if you don't like it...don't use it. it's a simple simile that is not that annoying but whatever. haha

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results