Coffee Shops/Restaurant gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2008
I was wondering if anyone performs permanently for any Coffee shop- or at least a regular there.

Why do i ask?

My manager's asking for some marketing tactics, and i was thinking of incorporating magic somehow. (Angle zero mainly) or other transpositions.

I was wondering, how do i introduce myself? it seems rather odd for me to ask that, but i usually just walk up to someone and ask them to check something out or something similar- but in a proffessional environment where im most likely going to be paid to do table-to-table magic, i need more opinions regarding openers.

This applies to restaurant workers as well, can you please elaborate on your opening statement, your intent and your opening trick. that would help me a lot.

Cheers,

-Sin

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I was wondering if anyone performs permanently for any Coffee shop- or at least a regular there.

Why do i ask?

My manager's asking for some marketing tactics, and i was thinking of incorporating magic somehow. (Angle zero mainly) or other transpositions.

I was wondering, how do i introduce myself? it seems rather odd for me to ask that, but i usually just walk up to someone and ask them to check something out or something similar- but in a proffessional environment where im most likely going to be paid to do table-to-table magic, i need more opinions regarding openers.

This applies to restaurant workers as well, can you please elaborate on your opening statement, your intent and your opening trick. that would help me a lot.

Cheers,

-Sin

I don't have experience in this subject so you don't have to follow my advice. But i think approaching a table and saying "Hi, my name is *insert name here* and I'm the magician for this resturaunt. Who you like to seem something cool?" If they say yes, start a trick. If they say no, move on to another table.

Jan 13, 2008
I would suggest going about it the way described above. When I perform at my brother's restaurant, I always just introduce myself, let them know I'm a performer of "little miracles" or whatever, and ask if they'd like to see something (sometimes I already start the effect as I ask--if I need them to select a card, for example, I'm already fanning the cards for them to choose a card, and I follow it up straight away with asking them to just take one out. I do this because not everyone knows whether or not they want to see some magic; it's not a question they hear everyday, and thus won't likely have an immediate answer to). :)

Or, if you have servers at the coffee shop (not sure why you would, but it's common for restaurants to have servers which is where I'm pulling this from), you can have them introduce you.

Sep 20, 2008
That's absoloutely gorgeous, getting introduced would be a godsend. im getting well good ideas, Cheers guys!

Im keeping an open mind though, but its definitely sparked my mind back to life!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Do you work at the coffee shop? I'm just trying to think outside of the box, but if your manager likes it, you could put a sign by the till that advertises a house magician, at tables, there could be a little card that they put at the edge of their table if they would like you to come by (a coffee shop is difficult because people go there to chat, that is why this might be a particularly effective way.). Then as you come by each table, you replace the 'request card' with a business card (either the coffee shop or yours-or both *perhaps a combined card?). This will help get business hopping for all.

just athought!

j

Mar 29, 2008
I have been around this forum for sometime now, and I always find it interesting that someone is unsure of many of the professional and show aspects...yet, that doesn't stop them from accepting the title of "working magician" and performing for money in a professional venue, in an unprofessional way.

Before I discuss approach, I am still concerned about your effect selection - actually, I searched the forum for "angle zero", your name came up WAY too many times with that mentioned. I would consider adding more than that effect, or at least stop mentioning that effect like it is the "best"...but enough of my pet peeves.

Here is the thing Sinful07 - put the magic down - and think about how you would approach a table of strangers. Write that down. Then, sit down and think about how you would want to be approached at a restaurant. Think about how different people would want to be approached - and in what way would they want to see more. Why would you want to see "magic" - because no lie - most people don't like magic...at least they think they don't. You will either confirm their feelings or disprove - hopefully the latter.

Some people like to do magic right away - this is not bad - but I feel it doesn't give people a choice, but I also agree with what many others will say is true, in that the average person does not know what magic has to offer, so they don't have the educational understanding to give an educated answer. Therefore, I believe that having them like you before the magic comes out is a good way to transistion to the magic, as the magic should be a vehicle for your personality anyways...so if they like you, they will like your magic.

However, I know someone will just post below something like - Do spongeballs or pull thread for your eye...and this post will be lost in the bulk and never read.

So...moving on.

PS - having signs made is a good idea, as is having servers mention you...but again, I would rather make the first impression and not rely on signs that could make you look hokey or my server acting as my agent...but with no commission on "selling me" not really put much effort into it.

If you PM me - I will share one approach I use in work.

Sep 11, 2007
I have several years of experience performing for restaurants and bars. The are more than a few ways to introduce yourself or slide into their conversation without being rude. You just have to assess the table, read the body language, facial expressions, conversation, age, sex, etc. If you see a couple across the restaurant sitting across from another and not speaking nor looking at each other, then it's probably not a great idea to bother them. Look for the group that is fun and somewhat lively and it will be much easier to introduce yourself. Flourishes, fire, springing the cards, or whatever are great subtle ways to get attention and intrigue the customers. You have to be desired AND be able to sell yourself. If they like YOU (not the tricks) then you will win them over. Other tables around will notice this behavior and request you to come over.

I could go on and on but I don't have the time. PM me if you have questions. Hope this helps...

phillip

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
You can do Control and be like normal people coffee makes excited and awake but with you is different then your pulse stops and then drink water and it goes to normal again or you can do SAW! That always gets great reactions!

lol

Mar 29, 2008
haha, I never considered someone posting nearly the exact thing beneath me. Egg on my face or what! So Phil, for your growth - I used to give that advice too, but then went to a lecture on questioning my assumptions. I find "reading" people at the restaurant to be not so accurate now. Sure, we can easily see those having fun - but as often as the people are jerks that are sitting not speaking, so are those that are having fun and don't want to be interrupted. As I have gotten older and more mature in my performance experience, I have approached the table where people are sitting and not talking, and they turn out as often to be the best table of the night...I have found they are more appreciative as well. Not all good people display it from afar, actually, I have found the "non-speaking" tables to tip better, AND easier to approach, because I am not invading on a moment.

One more question Phil...is your last name Atio? Please say yes!! It would be AWESOME!

Nice Sean, lol.

Dec 26, 2007
i would say just introduce yourself as described in the several posts above. However, you must be cautious and polite as some people are there to chat and unlike restaurants there isn't much of a waiting time!

Good luck, if you do go ahead with performing i would love for you to share your experiences.

Sep 20, 2008
Pardon Morgician, But you seem to be trying to preach to the wrong audience.

Let me lay down some rules for you: and would you be kind enough to respect them.

I am a young adult with a Part-Time Job at starbucks.

My Manager asked for ideas incorporating Promotion. I thought of my Hobby- Magic. Creates good rapport for Customers, which creates a good image for the company which creates More sales- and in the long run, Increasing Market share.

I admit that i am mediocre at doing Sleights. "But sinful, you have to practice your sleights until you can fool yourself"

I do practice them, but i prefer going in field and testing out the waters myself.

Not to be rude, but you have this Habit of Invading a Topic and preaching to everyone about how they should SEE magic into your Own revolutionary Eyes.

What's that? But you ARE right. But not everyone wants to follow your Path. See here's where you're misled: Not everyone wants to Push beyond being a Hobbyist. Yes, you heard, i really do not see myself doing this as being a Paid Magician, renowned for Sleight of hand or whathave you.

I dont mean to turn this thread into a Bashing thread, but you're quite frankly insulting me on a subconcious Level. yes i do know i have Little or no experience, yes i do know that i amuse you with my snide comments and how "I dont take magic seriously."

But then again, you're just making an ass out of yourself. Im out to entertain both the audience and myself- and ive had more than enough of this preaching that seems to barge in everytime i try and input something towards the community.

I apologise to those that have painfully read that, but this is coming out of Frustration of reading Morgician's Struggle to turn everyone into a bloody Zombie praising Magic as an Artform and whathave you. I havent seen you ONCE compliment someone PROPERLY.

And frankly, if im gonna get suspended or banned cause of this post, So be it. I'd rather be Shot down in Style than to shut my mouth.

As to get back on topic:

Sean, that's a great idea. Personally i havent had much practice with control, but i think i'd couple it with the Watch Bonus that is taught on the DVD as well that wayne teaches. (Alongside banachek's Psychokinetic time perhaps.)

And Philip, I'll gladly PM you regarding that, Thank you. i'll need all the help i can get.

-I apologise again for those who have painfully read this Post, But somethings are better said than to hold grudges over.

Sep 11, 2007
haha, I never considered someone posting nearly the exact thing beneath me. Egg on my face or what! So Phil, for your growth - I used to give that advice too, but then went to a lecture on questioning my assumptions. I find "reading" people at the restaurant to be not so accurate now. Sure, we can easily see those having fun - but as often as the people are jerks that are sitting not speaking, so are those that are having fun and don't want to be interrupted. As I have gotten older and more mature in my performance experience, I have approached the table where people are sitting and not talking, and they turn out as often to be the best table of the night...I have found they are more appreciative as well. Not all good people display it from afar, actually, I have found the "non-speaking" tables to tip better, AND easier to approach, because I am not invading on a moment.

One more question Phil...is your last name Atio? Please say yes!! It would be AWESOME!

Nice Sean, lol.

No. My last name isn't Atio. Sorry.

I've been performing for 16 years and you mention "for your growth"? Don't argue with me, dude. LOL! (don't take that personally like the other kids in these forums) Advice is based on good and bad experiences. I'm just trying to help this guy out. He will learn on his own. He will develop thick skin for the game. Whatever works for me or you will NOT necessarily work for him. But, whatever...

Jun 24, 2008
United States
If your getting paid to go table to table at a restaurant my opening line would be something more like this: "Good afternoon, im the magician(entertainment) for this evening...."
This is because if you ask, "do you want to see some magic", their answer is going to be no, after all they came to eat. And im sure they'll be glad you stayed and 'wowed' them with some magic.

I have been around this forum for sometime now, and I always find it interesting that someone is unsure of many of the professional and show aspects...yet, that doesn't stop them from accepting the title of "working magician" and performing for money in a professional venue, in an unprofessional way.

Before I discuss approach, I am still concerned about your effect selection - actually, I searched the forum for "angle zero", your name came up WAY too many times with that mentioned. I would consider adding more than that effect, or at least stop mentioning that effect like it is the "best"...but enough of my pet peeves.

Here is the thing Sinful07 - put the magic down - and think about how you would approach a table of strangers. Write that down. Then, sit down and think about how you would want to be approached at a restaurant. Think about how different people would want to be approached - and in what way would they want to see more. Why would you want to see "magic" - because no lie - most people don't like magic...at least they think they don't. You will either confirm their feelings or disprove - hopefully the latter.

Some people like to do magic right away - this is not bad - but I feel it doesn't give people a choice, but I also agree with what many others will say is true, in that the average person does not know what magic has to offer, so they don't have the educational understanding to give an educated answer. Therefore, I believe that having them like you before the magic comes out is a good way to transistion to the magic, as the magic should be a vehicle for your personality anyways...so if they like you, they will like your magic.

However, I know someone will just post below something like - Do spongeballs or pull thread for your eye...and this post will be lost in the bulk and never read.

So...moving on.

PS - having signs made is a good idea, as is having servers mention you...but again, I would rather make the first impression and not rely on signs that could make you look hokey or my server acting as my agent...but with no commission on "selling me" not really put much effort into it.

If you PM me - I will share one approach I use in work.

This post makes me want to kiss Morgician. He really does know what he's talking about. Please do yourself a favor and re-read what he has to say and take it to heart. In fact, print out his reply and carry it with you, because it's worth its weight in gold and will save you a lot of frustration in the future.

I'm another working professional. I actually think I already discussed my approach to working in other threads. It's an ever-changing process though, and if you're interested in knowing more about it, feel free to get in touch with me. I'm always open to share. I attribute a lot of my own personal success to (a) sheer luck, (b) my pitfalls, (c) the lessons learned from other people's horror stories.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2008
Then kiss him. No one's stopping you.

I class him as the guy saying the "world is ending soon."

We all know it will at some point- but we all continue with our lives. I dont need someone telling me that im going to die sooner or later every other hour. im fine thanks.

Mar 29, 2008
Alright, first Sinful07 - we have had words before, obviously you are not over them. I am not trying to make you a magic "zombie" as I don't control what you say or do with regards of your effect selection - but there are right and wrong ways to do magic. If you are using your audience as test subjects, I feel bad. I know you need experience and the "real world" provides you with that - however, some of these things you are unsure of, you may want to have a better grasp on before experimenting with the audience.

Phillip, I think your advice was fine, and I did mean for your growth, as you seem like the type that strives for that, forgive me if I was wrong. I think your experiences of what will and won't work can transfer into practical advice. You can only share what did and didn't work - but if you are as experienced as you say, then you know that these things are commonalities of magic and performance, and seldom deviate from person to person...not never, but seldom. Moreoever, I think challenging you to question your read on people will be a fun thing for you, as I always stayed away from tables that you described until a "name that is unnamed" magician told me to challenge my beliefs. Like Frost says, I took the path less travelled, and for me it has made all the difference. I wasn't trying to argue, but just share one of these paths you are talking about.

Sean - come on man, have a laugh....and I probably won't grow up, but I may gain weight or grow old. Either way, I call all my good friends named Phil, Mr Atio - because most don't get it, and they thank me for not calling them Mr. McCraken - which they have heard their entire life. So chill man - you know I have the best intent.

Lastly - as always, it means more to me that one guy, Romeo, can say nice things about my post - as we don't even know each other, or talk on the side - but I respect his thinking and truly am happy he feels the same about mine. The rest of you that are too busy hating to appreciate, or feel you have to bash - get over yourselves.

One more thing - Sinful07 - thank you for not PM'ing me, I forgot how narrow minded you were and my time would be wasted. Good luck with your magic - lots of luck. Oh...I find it odd that you don't want to push past being a hobbyist, but you will do shows? Hmm, are you taking $, because that is the standard definition of a professional worker. Honestly Sinful07 - give it a rest.

Cheers.

Mar 29, 2008
Then kiss him. No one's stopping you.

I class him as the guy saying the "world is ending soon."

We all know it will at some point- but we all continue with our lives. I dont need someone telling me that im going to die sooner or later every other hour. im fine thanks.

This is just asinine...please Sinful07, my advice is solid and if you could look paste your ragging hormonal outbursts to see the merit, you may learn something...which is what you are desperately seeking. You ask numersous questions and appear very uncertain, when a decent response is given to you - you trash on it. What is wrong with you?

Dec 10, 2007
i posted something about this over at DnD earlier this week, but i dont think table hopping is right for coffee shops. The best time to perform is after the order is taken and as they are waiting for their food. With a coffee shop you already have your stuff immediately. I think that if you did a weekly magic show that might be better for marketing. You could have a table set up and chairs around it and perform a small parlor act. I think that would be more appropriate for the environment.

Victor Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results