Cards at School

are cards allowed at your school? mine are banned and school is the only place where there are people i can do magic too cause im not good enough to go to a park and do stuff so
what tricks do you like to do that dont use cards at school?

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
They allow cards at my school. Some teachers even like my tricks. It's just i cant use them during class, but that's ok.

There are many different venues besides cards. Coins, Sponge balls, Rubberbands, etc.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
I ask my teachers first if I can use them if we have extra time in class or something, but in the halls or at lunch it is ok at my school. But I am banned from bring in thread to school..... thanks wayne :D

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Here in belgium it's really easy:

YOU CAN DO IT WHENEVER, WHEREVER YOU WANT!!!
not during classes but between two it's no problem.

D21400

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
If they don't allow cards in your school then Stick It To The Man!

Not really just use coins and paper and thumb tips.

Or go to the principal and tell him how during lunch and in the halls it boosts morale of the students.

Thats what I used to do.

-Michael

here is the thing, My school allow cards but I played it too much in class and it pisses my teacher off. He warned me that he don't wanna see it again. Guess what? I stick w/ my way of life and I just do what I want (something is worth dying for). I ignored him and keep doing what I'm doing, he is so pissed he choped my cards in half w/ the paper cutter. After that all kind of thing going on. Well that's the past, now that teacher and I are like best friends.

I'm just trying to say is do what u want even though you know it's wrong or not. Other ppl don't know crap about you and they don't live your life. As I already said "Something is worth Dying For".

when I was in high school cards weren't allowed so I just performed a trick for the teacher first. Then they didn't care that I had cards. They don't want to stop card tricks they want to discourage gambling. So, if you perform for the people who would get you in trouble, they should leave you alone. There are a lot worse things you could get in trouble for than doing magic.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Yes they are allowed at my school but i try and perform more than just cards(even though i love card magic)
I do thins like Redline,flicker,exile,Freezer burn by chris lafferty(Love these effects)
And just impromptu stuff.Organic by dan and dave really inspired me in creating my own effects.

May 4, 2008
NYC
yeah, they don't allow cards in my school.
If you bring out cards, they automatically assume its for gambling. -_-
But of course, some teachers like watching magic. But its still not allowed.
I almost got mine taken away in the lunch room, and I told them i was doing magic tricks and the guy was still like "no, you gotta give me the cards now" but i just put the cards away as the bell rung....so yeah...i guess you can say I was saved by the bell :p

Sep 1, 2007
USA
The official rule about cards is that there's no gambling...

but teachers still don't like me playing with cards...

One teacher described my flourishing like knitting in class. A lot of my friends (who are girls) knit in class and nobody tells them to stop.

I just sit there and mind my own business and do my work.

I tell teachers that it's not bothering anybody and I'm doing my work but teachers sometimes aren't the brightest crayon in the box and still say no.

So I only flourish in the classes that teachers don't care.

Nov 30, 2007
If you don't feel comfortable performing in the park, what is the difference between that and school?

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
We're allowed cards at the college I go, I always practice there. I also play poker in some of my lessons when we're not doing anything important, or stuff I already know.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm just trying to say is do what u want even though you know it's wrong or not. Other ppl don't know crap about you and they don't live your life. As I already said "Something is worth Dying For".

I know it's only January, but this already makes it into the running for my Stupidest Quote of 2009 Award.

What is the obsession with performing in school anyway? It is quite possibly the worst place anyone could perform short of a biker bar.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Steerpike
It is quite possibly the worst place anyone could perform
Agree.
short of a biker bar
Disagree. If your good bikers can be the best specs. Once you get them going its the time of your life. However, if you suck you might end up hurt. So I guess I agree 50% on that one.

School is not the worst place to perform magic, it's usually church from what i'm told lol. You've got a portion of your friends in school and people your own age. What's bad about that? I use to know a few kids who did magic back when I was still in high school. The kids use to love that stuff.

btw "Something is worth Dying For"? lmao

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'll throw my two cents in since I am both a teacher and a magician. I only allow my 4th grade students to bring in cards on Fridays if they are going to demonstrate a trick for the class with the 10 minutes of down time we have before lunch. Other than that, absolutely not.

As for allowing students to flourish during a class...I would definitely have to say no. How is that any different than allowing a student to doodle or draw while I am instructing? I do not allow anything to go on while we are working and learning.
Cards can be distracting for other students who already have a hard enough time trying to focus on the task at hand.

When I was in school ( 12 years ago ) cards were not allowed in our high school at all. I think the big issue was the desire to stop gambling. Now, that being said, are students really doing THAT much gambling? No, kids are just being kids playing games with their friends, showing tricks, etc.

I understand the urge for you younger guys to show off your new material and try it out to see the reactions you are going to get, but I also understand that from a teacher's standpoint, the cards are probably better left at home.

For the guys that say that they are not going to listen to your teachers and just do it anyway...you crack me up. Have a little respect for the adult who is trying to provide you with an education. That is one thing that I see lacking from today's younger generation. I am not even that old, (30) and I see how middle and high school kids talk back to their teachers and even their parents. My old man would have cracked me in the mouth for disrespecting or not listening to an adult.

I hope this doesn't stir up too many emotions but it might be food for thought for some of you.

Dec 29, 2008
GA
I don't perform magic tricks but we do play card games and I do false cuts and shuffles and what not. I always win.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results