Alternative Method to Smoke

Dec 27, 2008
Hey, I recently got the dvd The Devils Picturebook by Derren Brown and was realizing that it involved smoking....... thus the name smoke:(
I'm a 14 year old magician and can't smoke, nore would i ever want to. so if anyone has any idea on other objects or something equally powerfull as the cigarete change please leave a post or give me an e-mail at.

cardwhatever@yahoo.com

ps: I'v already put a lot of thought into this and searching for something you could be doing in an offhanded manner and then it changes or something.

for those who aren't familair with it below is a link.:) - Thanks
- jake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AewhMHhCmNQ

Jan 21, 2009
The Devil's Picturebook. Good eye, m'goodsir.

And a 14 year old that doesn't smoke? Wow. I haven't seen one of those in a while.

Well, you could always start smoking. Even if you get lung cancer, hey, you're suffering for the art. That's not such a bad thing.

Righto. On to the actual subject. I don't think the smoking is necessary to the effect, though it is a good part of it. If you think about it, Smoke is mentalism become card-to-mouth. So a toothpick, toothbrush, tuba (toothpaste), pen--for all you penspinners out there, or chewing gum would suffice.

Cheers mate,
--BadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerMUSHROOM!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Hi- Just be creative and you can find many solutions to your problem.

Here's an idea:

Once the spectator has the card in their mind,
Bring out a lighter or pack of matches and light it,
Tell the spectator to visualize their card in the burning fire,
Then reveal the selection by taking out a piece of gum and upon opening it, there is the card they thought of burnt and disappeared from the pack.

Or this is the way I present it:
I bring out a cigarette and place it on the table
Once the card is memorized and I bring out the lighter telling them to vision their card burning into their mind,
Then I light the cigarette and once I reveal their thought I point at the burning cigarette from ealier and it's the card slowly burning revealing itself within the cigarette.

-KOS07

J

J:G

The Devil's Picturebook. Good eye, m'goodsir.

And a 14 year old that doesn't smoke? Wow. I haven't seen one of those in a while.

Well, you could always start smoking. Even if you get lung cancer, hey, you're suffering for the art. That's not such a bad thing.

Righto. On to the actual subject. I don't think the smoking is necessary to the effect, though it is a good part of it. If you think about it, Smoke is mentalism become card-to-mouth. So a toothpick, toothbrush, tuba (toothpaste), pen--for all you penspinners out there, or chewing gum would suffice.

Cheers mate,
--BadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerMUSHROOM!

dude! hardly anyone smokes anymore! plus it sucks like crazy.:mad::(:mad:
especially 14 teen year olds!?!:confused:

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Yer alot of younger kids smoke they think its cool kids at my school pay like 50 cents for a smoke its kind of sad because they can get really sick lung cancer and so on but onto the subject.

Gum
LollyPop
A Sharpie ( you might need to think for a second )

There are many alternatives just think outside the box.

Jan 21, 2009
...That's what she said.

I'm not entirely sure on the method,
but I'm fairly sure you could do it with any long hard object you place in your mouth.

The ones mentioned so far sound pretty good, try them out.

Something to do instead of smoking?

Yeah. I guess so.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I actually don't mind the smoking... My question is this: Is there a way to do it with a regular deck? And can someone tell me where can I purchase the real deck used in smoke (forgot it's name)?

Thanx

Edit: You don't actually need to smoke, you just need to light the cigarette up. And if you don't inhale the smoke in your lungs, you won't get addicted and you wont get cancer...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Toby - it's John Kennedy's Mind Power deck.

Is there a way to do it with a regular deck? I'm sure there are many. Two jump into mind straight away, one requiring a lot more pocket work, another requiring a lot more skill. *shrug*

May 19, 2008
manchester
fake cigarette... its not hard to think of how you would do it, seriously it would be awesome, like some kind of bugsy malone magician ;)

Dec 27, 2008
first i just wanted to say that this is the first forum thread i've put up and I'm absolutely overwhelmed by how helpful most of you are. i mean i put this up like 10 hours ago and it already has 20 responses.(WHILE I WAS SLEEPING)
so thanks to all of you who have helped me out so far.:)

-sorry i can't remember your name,but..............
to the guy who put up the video of the guy with the card in his wallet.
-that's a great idea...... except i guess i was looking for somethin you could be doing before hand and mention in an offhanded manner.

- also thanks to all of you with the lollipop idea, i might try that out.
-thanks jake:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results