FISM Beijing

Sep 1, 2007
Some of you may recall recently a plea from magicians in China not to support this year's FISM because of their affiliations with the CAA who have shown a certain amount of contempt for the magic community that seems to surpass even Fox Entertainment.

You can read about the details here.

What truly disappointed me was that the response from the forums was a resoundingly apathetic, "Whatever." The same people who fly into a violent, frothing rancor at the suggestion of the Masked Magician and YouTube exposure videos could not have cared less that the Chinese magicians were facing similar problems and asking FISM to display some integrity.

For all the vaunted rhetoric of the magic fraternity, magicians fail on every possible level when it comes to demonstrating actual solidarity. That is why the following images have been attached. What you see is a program for this year's FISM included with my subscription to MUM magazine and what I decided to do with it.

Immature? Yes.

Does it make a difference? Almost certainly not.

Do I care? Balls no.

I did this simply to make a point. If no one else is going to at least voice their support for the magic community in China, then I will. I don't have the power to affect a large scale change or to convince FISM to reconsider or to give the proposed boycott any weight. But I'm going to show my support because it's the right thing to do.

Attachments

• burn fism 001.JPG
    burn fism 001.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 178
  • burn fism 002.JPG
    burn fism 002.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 164
  • burn fism 003.JPG
    burn fism 003.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 152
  • burn fism 004.JPG
    burn fism 004.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 152
  • burn fism 005.JPG
    burn fism 005.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 137
FISM & CAA in Beijing

I guess I wasn't aware of the conflict of interests between the artist and hosts of this years' FISM. Upon doing some research, however, I am still a bit confused.
The CAA you mention... Is this the China Acrobat Association or is it Creative Artist Agency? Then again it seems it could be the Chinese Auto Association. Could you clear this up for me?
It would be greatly appreciated.

JP

Jan 13, 2008
I guess I wasn't aware of the conflict of interests between the artist and hosts of this years' FISM. Upon doing some research, however, I am still a bit confused.
The CAA you mention... Is this the China Acrobat Association or is it Creative Artist Agency? Then again it seems it could be the Chinese Auto Association. Could you clear this up for me?
It would be greatly appreciated.

JP
It's the Chinese Acrobats Association, as mentioned in the link that Steerpike provided (where you can go for further details). :)

Sep 1, 2007
Fun fact: CAA asked Shimada to send an audition video if he wanted to perform in FISM 2009.

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
What truly disappointed me was that the response from the forums was a resoundingly apathetic, "Whatever." The same people who fly into a violent, frothing rancor at the suggestion of the Masked Magician and YouTube exposure videos could not have cared less that the Chinese magicians were facing similar problems and asking FISM to display some integrity.

For all the vaunted rhetoric of the magic fraternity, magicians fail on every possible level when it comes to demonstrating actual solidarity.
Sorry holmes, we don't mean to be dissin' you and your FISM homeboys!

Jeez, go get a life Steer!

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Fun fact: CAA asked Shimada to send an audition video if he wanted to perform in FISM 2009.

I'm sorry but... no comment to be honest...

Anyways, I don't like the fact that the CAA is hosting FISM one bit. If I had a brochure I'd burn one too.

Sep 1, 2007
what is the point...

There is no point. Some people have turned me into their PWN Everest. They dream of someday coming up with the put-down or comeback that will put me and my glacial ego in my place.

In doing so, Likenthrope however only proves my point that magicians are generally self-serving. Does he actually care about this issue? No. Does he understand that this is one of those cases that we as magicians should actually stand up and do something about? Probably not. But that won't stop him from coming in and taking a shot at me by trying to trivialize the issue. Politics as usual.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
There is no point. Some people have turned me into their PWN Everest. They dream of someday coming up with the put-down or comeback that will put me and my glacial ego in my place.

In doing so, Likenthrope however only proves my point that magicians are generally self-serving. Does he actually care about this issue? No. Does he understand that this is one of those cases that we as magicians should actually stand up and do something about? Probably not. But that won't stop him from coming in and taking a shot at me by trying to trivialize the issue. Politics as usual.

It's a sad state of affairs but i appreciate that some people actually possess a backbone and seem to bypass the ignorance virus.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I've heard some pretty horrible things about the organisation of this FISM, now that you mentioned it. I know what China can be like, too. For what it's worth Steer, you're not alone.

It's all about our own skins. People think YouTube exposure will hurt their own performances. They don't think the same about exposure from some place they've never been and some site they've never heard of, and an event that's never held any relevance for them.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I think it boils down to magicians themselves, the acts headlining for example. If no professional magicians turn up to compete in order to support the cause, they will have to do more than just ignore the whole thing.

May 17, 2009
Magic and ****.

Lol.

Oh and yeah they paid me lots and lots of money to say that!!

Pfft get a life mate.

Going to a convention like this and seeing the whole competition side and the social side makes you love magic even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Pfft get a life mate.

Going to a convention like this and seeing the whole competition side and the social side makes you love magic even more.

I don't need to travel overseas to a convention organized by a bunch of pompous, duplicitous, out-of-touch windbags to appreciate magic.

Maybe if you had actually read what the Chinese magicians were saying, you might understand why I'm speaking so harshly. But then again, perhaps I'm asking too much of you.

May 17, 2009
Who cares. I just meant a convention of this size is just a great opportunity for all the magic lovers out there.

And yes I read what the Chinese were saying.

Don't get so serious. Magic is for fun. Just ease up a bit and chill.

Hopefully that isn't too much to ask from you.

Peace

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Seriously, how are you gonna convince people from going to F.I.S.M. when greats like Lennart Green, Shoot Ogawa, David Williamson, Jeff McBride, etc are supporting it?

People who make the judgment only based on that Penny's post are stupid....Penny can be anybody.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results