What deck do you use ?

May 26, 2009
What deck do you use when you perform card magic and why do you use this deck ? Also when you perform for people , do you keep any gimmick cards with you ?

Oct 13, 2008
What deck do you use when you perform card magic and why do you use this deck ? Also when you perform for people , do you keep any gimmick cards with you ?

I used to believe that I knew... Yes, I use quite a few gimmicks, but as for playing cards; I gave up searching that question a year ago. Why else would I have like 180 decks of cards?

Jun 8, 2008
If I had a choice id use Smoke & Mirrors as my main deck.
Right now I just use masters or regular bikes. Might try the split spade cards soon.

Aug 20, 2008
Last 1,5 years I was using regular Bikes.. They got REALLY borring.

Now my every-day deck is Tally Ho fan or circle and Studs.
I dunno why, but most of stuff is easier with Stud's for me. That's weird.
And why did I chose those? Design is cool and quality/finish is incredible.

I have Mirrors deck, but I won't be using it for everyday performances. It's not SO cool and yeah. I just like it for doing vids or fluorishes :)

Dec 10, 2007
I use regular Bicycle red or blue.....most recognized cards in the world and they don't draw up any suspicion.....from my experience, you whip out a deck of Black tigers and do an effect and people think that you have a trick deck.....even after you let them inspect it. That's my experience anyway. With the regular deck no one even considers that it's a trick deck and they just think that all the magic came from you and not the deck. Just tonight I had my specs go through my red bicycle deck to make sure everything was normal and they looked at me like they thought I was crazy. Plus, I don't want people to think that I sit around and play with cards all day and do magic all day......so a regular deck is much less suspicious than say a White Ghost deck or what have you..........anyone?

b+w

Dec 10, 2008
York, United Kingdom
I use regular Bicycle red or blue.....most recognized cards in the world and they don't draw up any suspicion.....from my experience, you whip out a deck of Black tigers and do an effect and people think that you have a trick deck.....even after you let them inspect it. That's my experience anyway. With the regular deck no one even considers that it's a trick deck and they just think that all the magic came from you and not the deck. Just tonight I had my specs go through my red bicycle deck to make sure everything was normal and they looked at me like they thought I was crazy. Plus, I don't want people to think that I sit around and play with cards all day and do magic all day......so a regular deck is much less suspicious than say a White Ghost deck or what have you..........anyone?

I totally agree with you!
My regular decks are either Bicycle Vintage design decks, or Arrcos.

-Ben

D

Deleted member 2755

I currently use only Bikes and Studs. This is because they are designs that people know. When you take out a deck like Tally's or Guardians, I think that suspicion can be present in the mind of the spectators. I used to have no problem with it, but I figured why even open up the door of doubt when you don't need to?

Also, Bikes in my opinion are the best deck out there from what I've tried. (I have yet to use Tally's though. I don't doubt those feel better. I wanna get a brick.) I've used Arrcos, Bees every E deck, every T11 deck (not Centurions, but they feel the same as Guardians), Smoke & Mirrors, and Split Spades.

Out of all of them, Bikes in my opinion have the best stock and finish. I never understood why companies like printing cards on thick stock when the majority of people out there from what I've seen enjoy a thinner stock.:p

On top of the fact that Bikes are designs people know and I think they feel the best, they are the CHEAPEST! I could either pick up 2 decks of T11 decks or 1 deck of E's cards (with some leftover change), or I could pick up 12 of my favorite deck for $13 at Costco. $2 each for Studs. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

As for gaffs... Currently none. I do wanna get Magic Maker's gaff deck at some point though. That gaff deck looks awesome. ;) E gaff/Ultragaff are not for me. Magic Maker's gaff deck looks absolutely amazing.

-Doug

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I currently use only Bikes and Studs. This is because they are designs that people know. When you take out a deck like Tally's or Guardians, I think that suspicion can be present in the mind of the spectators.
-Doug

I don't understand why laymen would think we use trick cards just because they look different.

I mean, a spy wouldn't make it so obvious that he's a spy. If we were going to use trick cards, we would make it look the same....... uhhhh...... illogical things depress me.

On top of the fact that Bikes are designs people know and I think they feel the best, they are the CHEAPEST! I could either pick up 2 decks of T11 decks or 1 deck of E's cards (with some leftover change), or I could pick up 12 of my favorite deck for $13 at Costco. $2 each for Studs. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

As for gaffs... Currently none. I do wanna get Magic Maker's gaff deck at some point though. That gaff deck looks awesome. ;) E gaff/Ultragaff are not for me. Magic Maker's gaff deck looks absolutely amazing.

-Doug

YES, the Magic Makers Gaff deck really is impressive for the value. Not to mention it is perfect for those card workers who like to stick with the common bikes. The "Skinners's Monte" packets alone will make people go absolutely crazy and are worth picking up this deck!

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
I don't understand why laymen would think we use trick cards just because they look different.

I mean, a spy wouldn't make it so obvious that he's a spy. If we were going to use trick cards, we would make it look the same....... uhhhh...... illogical things depress me.
I've seen this come up a lot. I think it's all about he way you play it off I can honestly say my cards have never raised suspicion and I almost never use regular bikes. The only things people have said were "cool cards" that's it.

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
a couple months ago I got really into tally-ho circles, and now thats the deck I use almost every day, as for the gimmicked cards... I usually don't carry any with me unless I feel in the mood for doing some gaff tricks.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Sometimes I use a deck based on a theme. Sometimes I use a deck just cuz I'm in the mood for it. Sometimes I choose a deck to match my clothes.

Here's a list of decks I use:
Rider Back Bicycles - Red Back
Guardians (Typically at church)
Split Spade Lions - Black Back
Tigers - Red Pips
Propaganda (I've been using them a lot this month because I've been doing a lot of military themed events)

Gimmicks/Gaff Cards I use:
Distortion
Various Gaff Cards that I create

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
For the past few months I have been playing with three different decks: Red and Blue Split Spades, Propaganda, and Brown Wynn's. Although I really hate the Wynns I own like 5 more boxes of them, and I always leave one at my work for some reason...So I ocationally play with them. My favorites that I like to use the most are the guardians though. They look really cool. They don't sell Tally's around here at all, so if I wanted to get them I would have to order them. Lame.

Best feel and handling is SS though all the way though.

Sometimes I carry gaffs, but usually panic or distortion.

May 21, 2009
Regular Bicyle cards, using the same cards that people play games with. Would you use a weird looking coin or bottle to do an effect? No. If it's magic, its gotta be familiar. Just my opinion though. When I was starting magic I impulsively bought hundreds of dollars worth of gimmick cards of Black tiger or ghost. Couldn't regret it more, now i barely use them. I guess using new style cards is ok if the deck is examinable, but if it's gimmicked, be sure it doesn't look that way.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Standard Bikes, blue or red. Have used a black deck of Bikes and Tally-Hos before, no-one suspected anything so not sure about some of the complaints. Maybe just me.

Sometimes stick in one odd coloured card, one double facer and one double backer. For A.Waltz and Chicago Opener.

Red bikes. Used to carry the blues, and still do if Im only doing card magic that does not involve anything else. I think they look classier. However, I eventually had to come to terms with the fact that sharpie shows up much better on the red back.

I have other cards, Ghosts, Tigers, Centurions, Arrcos. I even have some black tiger deck from ages ago when they first came out that has a piece of thread in the bottom 20 cards used to make switches. They dont make them anymore, probably because they suck. I use bikes because they look natural.

But, If Aviator ever comes out with a box that looks better than the ugly thing they come in now, then I will make the switch. Love the cards, hate that ugly box.

And I carry 2-4 gimmicked cards.

Dec 10, 2007
Regular Bicyle cards, using the same cards that people play games with. Would you use a weird looking coin or bottle to do an effect? No. If it's magic, its gotta be familiar. Just my opinion though. When I was starting magic I impulsively bought hundreds of dollars worth of gimmick cards of Black tiger or ghost. Couldn't regret it more, now i barely use them. I guess using new style cards is ok if the deck is examinable, but if it's gimmicked, be sure it doesn't look that way.

Great point.

Nov 8, 2007
Red back Bikes.

They're familiar to laymen and there's no way I'd give up Twilight Angels since I started performing it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results