African American Magi's

And that makes it important why?

Not trying to be offensive here, but I don't care about a magicians race, its their ability that interests me. Watching a magician just because he is black is no different than not watching the same performer for the same reason.

C

And that makes it important why?

Not trying to be offensive here, but I don't care about a magicians race, its their ability that interests me. Watching a magician just because he is black is no different than not watching the same performer for the same reason.

C

Its not so much about race, its just that me being black I have never seen a black magi except for may be 2 or 3, so I was just wondering if there were any on here, or if some one new of some more.

-T.J.

Jul 16, 2008
austin, tx
It IS important to to ask questions like this. It's difficult to truly love something but wonder why more people that look like you aren't involved.

Obviously performances should speak for themselves if one is as good as any other.

I've found that many magicians are apathetic/conservative-leaning in their politics. "Why does it matter what color someone is" is a defense-mechanism for not wanting to talk about how to make our community more diverse and accessible to people. Talking about diversity in the community may be uncomfortable, but sometimes it's important.

I honestly don't care what race anyone is in magic or otherwise. I am not in defense mode for not wanting to talk about diversity because, personally, I don't care about it,

Diversity is unimportant, acceptance of all races is, however very important. I agree that we should accept anyone as long as they have a passion for the art, the requirement I hold for anyone in magic. But whether you are black, white, asian or from Mars is, to me, totally unimportant.

C

I honestly don't care what race anyone is in magic or otherwise. I am not in defense mode for not wanting to talk about diversity because, personally, I don't care about it,

Diversity is unimportant, acceptance of all races is, however very important. I agree that we should accept anyone as long as they have a passion for the art, the requirement I hold for anyone in magic. But whether you are black, white, asian or from Mars is, to me, totally unimportant.

C

I agree, race is not an issue in anything, but it is always good to know if there are others like yourself in the field you are pursuing, it just makes you feel good to know that your not the only one of your kind doing this paticular thing.

-T.J.

Jul 16, 2008
austin, tx

C

I think saying "I am not in defense mode for not wanting to talk about diversity" and "I don't care about it" are mutually-exclusive statements in the context of the thread. If you don't care about it, why did you post?

I think the view that "diversity" is unimportant but accepting all races is important (I guess you see yourself as politically color-blind) is somewhat dangerous. In my opinion, it's that sort of sentiment that justifies de facto segregation. The problem with not pushing for diversity, is that real, material inconsistencies exist between communities that are "all-white" and communities that are "all-black." I mean, is it just coincidence that poor, primarily black neighborhoods and schools receive less development money?

I think saying "I am not in defense mode for not wanting to talk about diversity" and "I don't care about it" are mutually-exclusive statements in the context of the thread. If you don't care about it, why did you post?

I don't care about race, I simply asked why he does.

I think the view that "diversity" is unimportant but accepting all races is important (I guess you see yourself as politically color-blind) is somewhat dangerous. In my opinion, it's that sort of sentiment that justifies de facto segregation. The problem with not pushing for diversity, is that real, material inconsistencies exist between communities that are "all-white" and communities that are "all-black." I mean, is it just coincidence that poor, primarily black neighborhoods and schools receive less development money?

I do not push for diversity because I want everyone, regardless of race, creed, or religion, to be treated in exactly the same manner. It doesn't matter if a community is all-white or all-black, they should be treated in exactly the same manner. Striving for diverse communities so that everyone within it is given the same treatment doesn't solve anything, its just a way around the problem. Is not wanting there to be a difference because of race color-blind? Yes. But color shouldn't make a bit of difference in any way, so I'm happy being color-blind.

Regardless I think this is partially getting off of the topic of magic.

C

Jul 16, 2008
austin, tx
It doesn't matter if a community is all-white or all-black, they should be treated in exactly the same manner.

I certainly understand this sentiment and would hope that most people would agree that all should be treated equally. The problem, in my mind, is that reality paints a different picture. There are very few people in positions of power that think certain racial communities don't deserve equal treatment as others, but it still happens at an alarming rate.

I don't have a particular problem with your view on an individual scale, but it seems that when millions of people agree that pushing for diversity is not a desirable goal, that it creates (whether intentionally or not) a climate that slides into apathy about how those communities are treated by the government.

Striving for diverse communities so that everyone within it is given the same treatment doesn't solve anything, its just a way around the problem.

Why doesn't it solve anything, though? If people are successful in pushing for diversity, and that creates equal opportunity in a lawful manner, why is that "just a way around the problem"?

Regardless I think this is partially getting off of the topic of magic.

I certainly veered slightly off-topic in my justification for why I thought the initial post was a legitimate query, but it's all in the hopes that I've warranted why, as a broader significance, the question of diversity in our community is important.

Being able to discuss the issue amicably is nice, as well.

Dec 14, 2007
There is a great documentary called the Art and Soul of Magic, which chronicles which deals with the subject of African Americans in magic. There is also a book on the topic, which I have referenced here before, but at the moment cannot recall it's name.

Brad Henderson

Jul 16, 2008
austin, tx
There is a great documentary called the Art and Soul of Magic, which chronicles which deals with the subject of African Americans in magic. There is also a book on the topic, which I have referenced here before, but at the moment cannot recall it's name.

Brad Henderson

Could you PM me the book title should you remember it/come across it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results