Strongest Mentalism Effects?

I have this stupid goal going on in my mind all the time when it comes to mentalism effects-"How can I use fewer "things'". I have always looked at the effects that use nothing as so much more powerful, but thats not entirely true. As others have said, with mentalism it is all about the presentation. When I first got into it, it was always a big let down to discover the method was so simple or seemed that it wouldn't work, but I learned that the presentation is what makes it hard-hitting.

The best tool for mentalism is your words and actions, not your props.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I have this stupid goal going on in my mind all the time when it comes to mentalism effects-"How can I use fewer "things'". I have always looked at the effects that use nothing as so much more powerful, but thats not entirely true. As others have said, with mentalism it is all about the presentation. When I first got into it, it was always a big let down to discover the method was so simple or seemed that it wouldn't work, but I learned that the presentation is what makes it hard-hitting.

The best tool for mentalism is your words and actions, not your props.

Props to me are and should be a natural thing. I will never have anything on the stage that does not look or feel natural for me and the audience. Even if they are things like Add a No. pads all the way to gimmicked envelopes. I agree that your words and actions far outweigh the props that are used. The natural nature in handling these props is what makes them deceiving an audience. Think about the two biggest principles in mentalism on their own not really that deceptive however when you add additional methods to them ie centre tears, peeks or forcing they become bona fide miracles.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet, but I think Luke Jermys Emotional Intelligence is a very easy and hard hitting effect. Personally I don't like Lukes take on the effect (his style of performance), but it is really a stunner if you add your own flair to it.

Jun 4, 2009
I think D ICE R hit the nail on the head with regards to props. I believe that props can be and should be used (in some cases) to create powerfull effects. The key is giving reason for a prop in order to create logic behind it for the spectator so that they accept it as a "normal" procedure. For example if you were to pull out a small card and have a spectator write something on it, place the card in your wallet and proceed to reveal the thaught, for me that would leave the spectator thinking "why would he have me write the thaught down? If he could read my mind he would have just had me think of it" Where as if i give reason during my patter something along the lines of ..."Im going to have you write a word down on this card while my back is turned. Now the reason I have you wright it down is because the visual image of the word on a black background will be much clearer in your mind and make this easier for both of us, also it will be kept as proof should I be way off with this." I would probably continue with something like "make sure before i turn arround that you cannot see what you have written through the card because thats not what this is about. Are you done?"

Thats just a little example there on how to make props seem absolutley natural within the effect yet the outcome to the spectator will be "the guy had me think of a word and he knew what I was thinking" even if they remember writing the word down they will still have the logic you put in place and it wont make the effect any less powerfull in they're minds.

So to sum up. As mentioned earlier its what your spectators percieve the effect to be that matters :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hmm, there are some interesting things here. I have been looking for a really strong piece of mentalism to close my show with.
I have toyed with impossible card predictions, newspaper predictions, serial number predictions, locked boxes with predictions inside etc, but I have found that when you are predicting something of a personal nature to a spectator, it hits harder.
Stigmata works very well for this, as does Emotional Intelligence (although I prefer Stigmata).

So a card prediction is okay and even hard hitting, but a name prediction just destroys it because you are getting people to invest emotionally in what you are doing.

Now I just have to figure out if it works better to have a prediction in the sealed box (like the master prediction system) or not. ;)

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Now I just have to figure out if it works better to have a prediction in the sealed box (like the master prediction system) or not. ;)

Sealed envelopes are just as convincing as boxes. Easier to transport, cheap to make your own, and I've never had any problems with them.

Jun 4, 2009
What are your favourate utility devices for walk arround situations to perform mentalism feats anywhere anytime? Just curious as to what peoples views on what is acceptable to have on them that dosent seem prop like. Im not talking about stage or resteraunt type gigs because obviously you could get away with ALOT more in those situations. I'm talking more on the lines of performing for friends down the pub or family members.

PS. Just recently got Universal Impression. Seems like this will be going with me everywhere too if I can sort a few issues out with the effect.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
UI is a great tool - I have mine installed in a little A7 black and red pad. Perfect.

I also use the Outlaw panther wallet, it holds a few business cards and there's an optical filter, so you can pretty much cross out the thought of a peek from the spec's mind while achieving the glimpse!

A good line that I use when having a spectator write down the thought is that it's been proven that writing something down commits it to memory in a different way. It's lodged in the long term memory as opposed to the short term or working memory.

What ever you can back up with casual fact (even if it's elaborated or made up!) is great. People will generally take your word if you seem to know what you're talking about and agree as if they;d seen it on the discovery channel.

D.

Jun 4, 2009
Anyone here have Henry Sugar by Liam Montier? sounds great but I havnt seen many reviews of the effect.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2008
Stimagta and Tagged are two mindfreak tricks that I know.
Could anyone give me some name of DVDs or book that contain great piece of mentalist tricks?
I don't have much experience with Mentalism.
Thank you.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The floodgates have opened.

If you're asking for good tricks, you've already proven that not only do you not understand how to perform mentalism, but that you'll do nothing but butcher them.

I really enjoyed watching the Oz Pearlman DVD Into The Abyss as far as mentalism effects.

The only complaint I have is that the three tricks are a bit similar in theory and I can only imagine performing one with each group.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I personally like Henry Sugar it has a very similar feel to it as Luke Jermay's Remote Viewing on Penguin but it has more stages and can easily be set up infront of the spectators if you know a certain sleight.

Dec 16, 2008
The floodgates have opened.

If you're asking for good tricks, you've already proven that not only do you not understand how to perform mentalism, but that you'll do nothing but butcher them.

Yes, I said I dun know much about metalism. English is not my first language so should I use "effect" instead of "trick"? Sorry about that. :D I am just curious about mentalism then ask. Sorry again if I bother anyone else

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
::Mentalism::

Wow, Ive read the majority of the posts on here and of course I havent been on in quite awile so I thought I'd chime in. I agree that certain effects apply to a particular individual, as for me I love simple effects that can be made to look like miracles. Sure cards can be used for mentalism, for me I think outside the box, why not do mentalism with fruit....cereal...paper...why not even your hand? To me those outta the box ideas attract me because there so uniuqe. Just recently I just purchased Techniuqe by Mathew Mello. Holy crap is all I gotta say...its so simple but so stratighforward. Others to mention include Into the Abyss by Oz Pearlman, manusripts by Al baker, Al Mann, Anneman, Derren Brown etc. Just my 2 cents on the subject.......:D

I have a few effects that were my favorite in each category of mentalism

Card Effect
ESPerfect, Easily the coolest card trick I own

Metal Bending
Liquid Metal, sorry Dee but this trumps all

Predictions
Super Sharpie

Mindreading
Universal Impression

Coinbending-similar to metalbending
Superman, however if I couuld afford it the Quantam Bender 2.0 (something like that) seems like a sure winner.

Object manipulation
MLS, hands down

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Metal Bending
Liquid Metal, sorry Dee but this trumps all

Liquid metal is a great routine - Morgan's had great success with it. I wouldn't say it trumps all by any means though. There's alot of what I'd consider to be far superior work around. Most of it isn't readily available to the public though!

Keep your eyes open though, I know of a few projects going on currently which are under the bending umbrella that'll blow everyone outta the water!

DC

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Mind Reading: Perfected Center Tear, Acidus Novus, just about any GOOD Billet Switch or Peak.

Predictions: Hey guess what, you can do a prediction with a Billet Switch as well.

Metal bending: Osterlinds Spoon bending and Banacheks metal bending.

Actually for Impression Devices I think John Riggs Butterfly is usually recommended by like 90% of the people in the business.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results