Cost for Show/Stroll

I have a show this weekend, well actually 2 gigs more or less.
the resturant has never had a magician before so they are not sure how they should pay me. so they asked me to make an invoice for them.
im tryin to figure out the pay. i dont want to make it too high because i work at the resturant and i would feel bad to ask too much. but then again, it'll be worth it to the resturant.
i was thinking 25 an hour for strolling, and 50 for an hour show. or something like that.
any suggestions.
i know there are some topics about this. and i already mentioned it in an older thread, but i want to get more advice on the rate.
thanks

Ummm, I think that you should have the prices a little bit lower, that seems like alot for them to pay that much, even if the regular rate for a magician is that. Especially if you work there! I think that some where between $15-$20 an hour for the strolling would be better, because the strolling does not head that much "set up" and "practice", it is more a casual strolling thing. Now the $50 is good for the show.

I dunno, that is a tough question, good luck with your show!

Jan 13, 2008
I would say $50-75 per hour for strolling, and $150+ per half hour for a show. Of course, your prices may differ, but those are close to what I charge. I charge so low because I still consider myself a novice.

As you get more experienced, you can expect $150+ per hour for strolling, and $500+ for shows.

My reply is so brief, because like you mentioned, there are already some topics out there that would be good to read over and contain all of the information you need. :)

I would also suggest checking out Justin Miller's Strolling Hands notes, as he talks a lot about how to prepare for, and what to expect at, strolling restaurant gigs. :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hm, that's tough. It varies with each restaurant/city etc, but think of it this way: You want the restaurant to make it's money back and then make a profit because you are there. So if you are going to charge say 25/ hour, for perhaps 3 hours, then you need to convince the restaurant, that they will make that $75 back when people return to see you again the next week.
If the restaurant is busy, it's easy, because you can keep the people in line entertained during the wait, and the benefits to that are plenty (they come back again, they are happier therefore they tip more-thus happier wait staff, people don't leave and eat somewhere else etc.)
If it is a slower restaurant, then it can be a bit more difficult. You need to convince them that the customer traffic will increase because of your presence, then make it happen.
You want you're employer to feel like they have received their moneys worth. $25 may or may not be reasonable, it all depends on all the factors. Some magicians work for minimum wage, some $100+ for the night. Some simply work for the tips. David stone talks about that a bit in his book. He mentions how the restaurant is a great tool for booking gigs.
And I think anyone who works in restaurants would agree that your biggest pay can come from your tips. > this too is important to discuss or include in your agreement. If your employer is okay with you receiving tips (usually you would just include a statement in the agreement that you also accept tips) and handing out business cards etc. These usually need to get the okay.
Hope some of that helped.

When is your first night?

Justin

May 12, 2009
I would say $50-75 per hour for strolling, and $150+ per half hour for a show. Of course, your prices may differ, but those are close to what I charge. I charge so low because I still consider myself a novice.

As you get more experienced, you can expect $150+ per hour for strolling, and $500+ for shows.

My reply is so brief, because like you mentioned, there are already some topics out there that would be good to read over and contain all of the information you need. :)

I would also suggest checking out Justin Miller's Strolling Hands notes, as he talks a lot about how to prepare for, and what to expect at, strolling restaurant gigs. :)

man that is alot of money for walking around and for only a show.
i recommend between $50-60 per hour for strolling and $70- 90 per hour for a show

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007
When you are new, it is far better to work (and work a lot) for the experience than worrying about money. Now, you don't want to undercut the pros in your area. So, to go after someone;s show and say "I'll do it cheaper" is an awful thing to do. But you clearly have a relationship with this restaurant. You will receive far more value from working and learning than you will from the money. If they decide to cut the budget and they ditch you - then you have nothing. Better in this case, at this part of your development, to charge just enough to be worth your time and drink in every moment of the experience. Think about it - the moment you charge more than you are worth (in their eyes) is the moment you loose the gig, and loose the reference.

Brad Henderson

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Keep in mind a strolling gig is different than working a restaurant gig. If you are a regular performer at a restaurant, you would not charge what you would for table hoping/strolling at a special event like a wedding.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
When you are new, it is far better to work (and work a lot) for the experience than worrying about money. Now, you don't want to undercut the pros in your area. So, to go after someone;s show and say "I'll do it cheaper" is an awful thing to do. But you clearly have a relationship with this restaurant. You will receive far more value from working and learning than you will from the money. If they decide to cut the budget and they ditch you - then you have nothing. Better in this case, at this part of your development, to charge just enough to be worth your time and drink in every moment of the experience. Think about it - the moment you charge more than you are worth (in their eyes) is the moment you loose the gig, and loose the reference.

Brad Henderson

Great advice Brad.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Brad knows what he is talking about and it is good advice but I would do at least $50 for the strolling and $75-100 for the hour show.

I charge $75-100 for strolling per hour and $125-$150 for private party shows / corporate...etc. That is with 8 years of magic experience and only 1 year of doing paid events.

You will gain so much experience and get other gigs from this so I guess the money isn't too big of a deal.

Have fun, smile and be overly nice and social to the people and it will get you more gigs. Of course be entertaining with the magic as well, but I've seen so many magicians good at the magic part but they are terrible at people skills.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
but I've seen so many magicians good at the magic part but they are terrible at people skills.

I'm not a paid performer, so I'll let them do advice on what to charge and why.

But this is important. Most party's I go to with friends include some form of drinking (legally) and most have cards for drinking games (social and intoxicating) and somewhere between arriving and people getting tired of playing games my friends throw out that I'm a magician. The great thing about doing it an hour or two into the party is that everyone already knows who I am and, more or less, like me.
Harder to do in 3 minutes of introducing yourself...but the social aspect and your personality will leave lasting impressions, almost longer than most of your magic. They'll remember you do magic and maybe one trick you did...but if you do it correctly they'll remember you for you as well.

This also helps in between tricks or after a set, if you're interesting then people will want to talk to you, which is what you need to be able to do in order to get more paying gigs (or in my case, more friends and invites to the next shindig that goes down.)

anyway, hope my rambling helped in some way.

-Rik

morpheis91

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2007
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
For a restaurant and a beginner 75 and hour is good plus tips. I charge 125 an hour for restaurants for regular strolling gigs depending on the client it is any where from 250$ an hour to 1500$ an hour. The 1000+ is for corporate events. For a kids party ill do 250 flat rate with balloon twisting

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results