Critique My Pass

Aug 3, 2009
Here is a video of doing the pass and then a few performances. I would like some tips on it. I have only been doing it a month so i know that i need more practice. I am just trying to make sure that my mechanics are right, and also trying to get tips that might help me do it better. Thanks for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpIzqk7jSlI

Two major flaws with your technique:

1. The left forefinger. It should NOT waggle all over the place! Its alright i had that problem at first too. What I did that helped so much was i kept the lefy forefinger and the right pinky together at all times.

2. The break. It sshould not be visible from the front. That is a very bad habit many people get into. All i can say for you to break that habit is to practice your break. Stick your pinkie in only when its absolutely nessecary.

The right hand should NEVER move. That is just the hand that holds the packet. The left hand is the one that does all the work.

go to this link, scroll down and on the right side of the screen, you will see podcasts. Listen to the one that says, how to practice the classic pass:

http://aaronfishermagic.com/watch.htm

Feb 28, 2008
Your performance looked great to me. I don't think anyone would catch you other than a magician, but what's the point of performing for magicians.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
And also,always remember that the spectator should not be looking at your hands while your doing the pass. I have seen other performers stop and stare for a few seconds while doing the freaking move.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
i know there is endless debate about rocking your hands when doing a pass. In the case of this video it is def too much. If you are doing the pass on an off beat, the hands seperated and while talking, then casually bringing the hands together, it is fine to not rock as no one will be looking at your hands.

However, if you want people to be able to burn your hands and make the pass a "move" such as a color change or in an ACR, having a face up card pop up like jonathan kamm's, a slight rock is crucial to cover the two spots where the pass can flash: the back left corner and the replacement of the packet to the bottom.

Kamm, akira fuji (best pass ive seen) and jay sankey all utilize a small hand rock.

Not to in any way compare my pass to theirs, but check my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5x6dgbm0Y

I can promise that I use this and call attention to it and no one questions the rock as long as it is gentle and done at the wrists and not with the whole body moving.

Of course, if i am performing for more than a couple people, where angles get to be a problem, i will not do this as a move, but instead on the off beat as mentioned (or use a different control all together)

It may not be the best way to handle an audience, but I really enjoy getting moves by people while they burn the hands. I sometimes wait to do a top change while gesturing rather than when making eye contact, as it makes the effect that much more awe inspiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 3, 2009
Yeah dude yours looks great. I know my cover isnt that great at the moment, but the main thing i was looking for is to make sure that my mechanics are right on the move itself. Things like the index finger flopping around as magicfreak667 pointed out earlier. What is the difference in technique between the akira fuji pass and the classic pass? Or is that a one of those $19.95 secrets? Anyway thanks so much for the comments thus far. They are much appreciated and duly noted. I will check out those podcasts as well and hopefully be blowing people away shortly. Keep them coming though. I will take all the help I can get.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Yeah dude yours looks great. I know my cover isnt that great at the moment, but the main thing i was looking for is to make sure that my mechanics are right on the move itself. Things like the index finger flopping around as magicfreak667 pointed out earlier. What is the difference in technique between the akira fuji pass and the classic pass? Or is that a one of those $19.95 secrets? Anyway thanks so much for the comments thus far. They are much appreciated and duly noted. I will check out those podcasts as well and hopefully be blowing people away shortly. Keep them coming though. I will take all the help I can get.

Again I know I might sound like trying to attract attetion to myself, but if you have time watch this video http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=19791 and then if you have some issue with some other thing, tell me and I will gladly help you where I can :).

Aug 3, 2009
I had watched it before and it will definitely help when i get ready to work on the cover. Thanks a lot for the link.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results