Is this Illegal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2007
For the past few months I have been building my own studio nearly spending 200$ in posterboards, paint, light, etc. For the purpose of making professional videos, to put on youtube. I also wanted too make a DVD not teaching effects but just showing what I can do, and selling it on the streets too people that seemed too love my magic, especially because they are mostly tourists and may never see me again. I want too make a 30 minute DVD showcasing "Sleight of hand magic" but the moves aren't mine performed on the DVD, [ I obviously would not be teaching the moves]. So I guess my question is, Is this legal? I would not be profitting off the DVD basically at all I would just be selling it for the cost of what it cost and plus a few more dollars for professional editing, which is costing 75$ per hour, and the DVD's with the slip cover will be around 3$ per DVD.
Hopefully this made sense, I will answer any questions when I get back from school.
Thank you

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It would depend on what it is you are actually performing. Some effects have performance rights on them and especially on broadcasting of them. If you are doing fairly standard pieces you should be 100% fine with it. But the real question you need to ask yourself is do you really think people would pay to see you in a studio doing a little magic. I don't want to sound rude but it is something you should ask yourself.

yes that is legal, and that is a great Idea, Tourist will buy anything, but your idea is a little rough around the edges. I will tell you about my self, and then what the best way to approach this project.

I have an Associates Degree In Television and Video Production, I specialize in Video Editing and Graphic Effects. I have a Student Emmy award, as well as awards from The United States Airforce. I have done countless work for PBS here in Milwaukee. As well as subcontract work for production companys here in milwaukee. And spent a semester Teaching Advanced Editing Techniques at a local high school.

This is my professional advice.

Do not make the DVD in a studio. I am assuming that You dont know anything about basic lighting, i am assuming that you only have one camera. The footage you can shoot with one camera in a studio with poor lighting is going to look like hell. (Most studios have 3 cameras and use what is call cross shooting) Not only that but most likely you are going to use the on camera mic, and the audio is going to sound just as bad as it looks.

If you want to hire someone to edit your video together, you are going to pay big money for it. When I work as a sub-contractor, I was getting paid good money, and most people know that editing is a very long and tedious process.

The overall Idea of a video is great, but here is the way I Suggest doing it.

Don't use a cheap camera fork out some cash for a decent camera, us an external lav mic, and make sure your audio levels are good. Have you friend follow you around for a few days, take the video home watch it, decide what you want to put into the DVD, and edit it together yourself. If you are not comfortable doing it your self i will volunteer my expertise for only $50 bucks. (this gos for everyone here on T11)

There is so much more i would like to say but this is getting long so if you (or anyone else) is interested send a PM and we can talk. If anyone else has video related question, ask I will do my best to help.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Taking your last 50 wannabe performances I wouldnt even care to see the trailer, as far as I have seen you,you just have been a copycat. Nothing more. It's a shame you are wasting that much money in something that is just going to prove my point further.

By the way, I hope that you took a course in how to do that thing because its more than just " I bought a bunch of high priced stuff and Im cool!" if you dont actually know how to use the equipment, you are just doing a veryyyyy wrong decision.

Keep the good work :).

Aug 18, 2008
Taking your last 50 wannabe performances I wouldnt even care to see the trailer, as far as I have seen you,you just have been a copycat. Nothing more. It's a shame you are wasting that much money in something that is just going to prove my point further.

Amen to that

By the way, I hope that you took a course in how to do that thing because its more than just " I bought a bunch of high priced stuff and Im cool!" if you dont actually know how to use the equipment, you are just doing a veryyyyy wrong decision.

I dont completely agree with the statments in this post but the overall idea i do approve.

What that means is that you should focus on your character not your card magic. The magic does not happen in the cards but in you and the spectator. And if you want to showcase your skills then do the effects on the streets not in a studio.

You want to make a lasting impression about you and the bond you made, the guy who melted a card through my hand i saw it with my own eyes and felt it.
Magicians dont take the time to master theyr personas, instead they master theyr sleights. Which is not bad but what do you want to be, the guy who was fast with cards or the guy who made me believe.

Mikk

Nov 10, 2007
yes that is legal, and that is a great Idea, Tourist will buy anything, but your idea is a little rough around the edges. I will tell you about my self, and then what the best way to approach this project.

I have an Associates Degree In Television and Video Production, I specialize in Video Editing and Graphic Effects. I have a Student Emmy award, as well as awards from The United States Airforce. I have done countless work for PBS here in Milwaukee. As well as subcontract work for production companys here in milwaukee. And spent a semester Teaching Advanced Editing Techniques at a local high school.

This is my professional advice.

Do not make the DVD in a studio. I am assuming that You dont know anything about basic lighting, i am assuming that you only have one camera. The footage you can shoot with one camera in a studio with poor lighting is going to look like hell. (Most studios have 3 cameras and use what is call cross shooting) Not only that but most likely you are going to use the on camera mic, and the audio is going to sound just as bad as it looks.

If you want to hire someone to edit your video together, you are going to pay big money for it. When I work as a sub-contractor, I was getting paid good money, and most people know that editing is a very long and tedious process.

The overall Idea of a video is great, but here is the way I Suggest doing it.

Don't use a cheap camera fork out some cash for a decent camera, us an external lav mic, and make sure your audio levels are good. Have you friend follow you around for a few days, take the video home watch it, decide what you want to put into the DVD, and edit it together yourself. If you are not comfortable doing it your self i will volunteer my expertise for only $50 bucks. (this gos for everyone here on T11)

There is so much more i would like to say but this is getting long so if you (or anyone else) is interested send a PM and we can talk. If anyone else has video related question, ask I will do my best to help.

A few things I would like too point out:
-I have 2 HD cameras' one will be moving in different positions and the other on a tri-pod in a close-up position too mat.
-I would like help with lighting I have 650 watts of light in a little little space, 1 hanging from the ceiling directing at my mat, and the other 2 directing at the wall. My screen is interior white semi-gloss, and the floor is white with poster boards, I also have curtains keeping the light out.
- The editor is only charging me 100$ for 2 hours when he would normally charge 300$ for 2 hours, so that was very nice of him.
THE DVD WILL INCLUDE
- The history of cards
- Live performances
- Magic in studio
Also are their wavers online that I can print out so people who are on the video can sign it so they don't sue me.
Thank you

A few things I would like too point out:
-I have 2 HD cameras' one will be moving in different positions and the other on a tri-pod in a close-up position too mat.
-I would like help with lighting I have 650 watts of light in a little little space, 1 hanging from the ceiling directing at my mat, and the other 2 directing at the wall. My screen is interior white semi-gloss, and the floor is white with poster boards, I also have curtains keeping the light out.
- The editor is only charging me 100$ for 2 hours when he would normally charge 300$ for 2 hours, so that was very nice of him.
THE DVD WILL INCLUDE
- The history of cards
- Live performances
- Magic in studio
Also are their wavers online that I can print out so people who are on the video can sign it so they don't sue me.
Thank you

1. Yes your lighting is going to be poor. You the Magician should be will lit with atleast 3lights (Key light, back light, and a Fill) The subject (cards and mat) should be lit well also, both cameras should be properly white balanced, Gloss and white are very very difficult to light because they are normally used to bounce light from one place to another, too much lighting in a small space will make the video look blown out, too little and your video is too dark. Dont put too much light on the backdrop because that is not the subject of the video. If you have dark hair then try not to shoot on a dark backdrop. Try not to wear black or while while preforming, because it can be tricky with lighting. Dont wear crazy patterns because they will look like they are moving in the camera. There is so much that gos into a video, I would really suggest taking a class on Video Production because if you want to sell it then it should be worth buying.

2. Dont worry about waviers, if you are shooting in a public place then they are not needed (but would not hurt to get them), if you are shooting in your studio then you will need them.

3. You said before you didnt want to make a profit off of the video, if that is true then dont bother with the DVD, you may not make a profit right away, but if you are good and people buy it then by all means make a profit. Enjoy the fruits of you labor.

Nov 10, 2007
1. Yes your lighting is going to be poor. You the Magician should be will lit with atleast 3lights (Key light, back light, and a Fill) The subject (cards and mat) should be lit well also, both cameras should be properly white balanced, Gloss and white are very very difficult to light because they are normally used to bounce light from one place to another, too much lighting in a small space will make the video look blown out, too little and your video is too dark. Dont put too much light on the backdrop because that is not the subject of the video. If you have dark hair then try not to shoot on a dark backdrop. Try not to wear black or while while preforming, because it can be tricky with lighting. Dont wear crazy patterns because they will look like they are moving in the camera. There is so much that gos into a video, I would really suggest taking a class on Video Production because if you want to sell it then it should be worth buying.

2. Dont worry about waviers, if you are shooting in a public place then they are not needed (but would not hurt to get them), if you are shooting in your studio then you will need them.

3. You said before you didnt want to make a profit off of the video, if that is true then dont bother with the DVD, you may not make a profit right away, but if you are good and people buy it then by all means make a profit. Enjoy the fruits of you labor.

WOW soo much useful information thank you so much.
I am going to be wearing a black suit with black dress pants, and behind the suit I will have a red dress-down shirt.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the video.

I will be doing :
-about 3 live performances

- 5 effects in studio

- History on cards

- Many people have been interested in my card collection so I will display the collection plus tell a little abuot the important / rare cards.

Anything else I should add, any suggestions?

Thank you

I am going to be wearing a black suit with black dress pants, and behind the suit I will have a red dress-down shirt.

I will be doing :

- 5 effects in studio

- History on cards

- Many people have been interested in my card collection so I will display the collection plus tell a little abuot the important / rare cards.

Thank you

SUGGESTION:

practice, and stop wasting your time to waste other peoples time. YOU may think your good enough, but noone cares except you how good you are.

Honestly, most layman want magic for the single experenice, they dont want some lame DVD just to prove how lame some magicians can be.

SUGGESTION:

practice, and stop wasting your time to waste other peoples time. YOU may think your good enough, but noone cares except you how good you are.

Honestly, most layman want magic for the single experenice, they dont want some lame DVD just to prove how lame some magicians can be.

first off, the forums are here to help people, insulting them is not helping, it is just rude, who are you to judge anyone. What makes you better than everyone else. it is these types of comments that add to the social decay of the forums. There is no reason to talk to someone like that. Show support, what if you asked for help and advice on the forums and people just degraded and insulted you. Think before you post something, because you are only making your self out to be an idiot.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
first off, the forums are here to help people, insulting them is not helping, it is just rude, who are you to judge anyone. What makes you better than everyone else. it is these types of comments that add to the social decay of the forums. There is no reason to talk to someone like that. Show support, what if you asked for help and advice on the forums and people just degraded and insulted you. Think before you post something, because you are only making your self out to be an idiot.

Long history short:

We tried to help this little guy in the past, he throwed us the finger.

Thats the reason behind some harsh comments in this thread.

Peace.

I will be doing :

- 5 effects in studio

- History on cards

Thank you

Think of the video as being on television what do people really want to see. If you want to do 3 live performances then do it, you want to do 5 effects in the studio then do it. here is where i see a rather boring aspect. If you want explain the history of cards then dont stand that and talk about it, use it as a theme for your video, create patter around your tricks using the card history to flow from one trick to another. a section just on cards is like a boring history lesson and if on the DVD people wont watch. They buy the dvd to see magic, not a lecture. Which brings me to my next point, showing your card collection is like showing a blind man a painting. To layman cards are just cards. however a way to keep your collection in the video is to use a few decks for your tricks. Keep in mind the video has to contain what the adience wants to see, a stranger could care less about the rare cards you have. A magician may be interested, but not a layman. I dont care about rare stamps, an dont want to watch a video about rare stamps, they do not interest me. (I hope this was helpful)

Almost forgot you are wearing a black coat so the red is going to really popout, so your lighting is going to be a little more tricky, Add a little more light to your body(not much) so your arms and chest dont look like a black blob, also use softer lights (not orange or bright yellow) because the red shirt is going to make your skin tone look a little more red and "hot" colored lights will add to it makeing you look like you have really bad sunburn all over your body.

Long history short:

Peace.

Snap and snap. :D

Just perform man, give people your buisness card and get them to pay you to perform again.

If you were making a DVD teaching open source moves and tricks - if you can do them well that's awesome. Selling them a DVd of tricks you've just done is a bit pointless and who cares about the history of cards but magicians and collectors. I can't see this going well for you - but you've obviously made up your mind so best of luck anyway.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
magicman1212, all I'd say is this. Magic is meant to be performed. The true effect of magic can only be realised when there is interaction. Interaction can only best occur when they are physically present. Physical presence obviously cannot happen over a DVD.

Therefore, I don't really see the point, if all you want to do is have them enjoy your magic. I agree with the above - give them a business card, and if they want to see more, they'll tell you. If they don't, you won't hear from them.

Nov 10, 2007
Long history short:

Peace.

Thank you for the all the useful information you have gave me, but I have to know do you want people on this forums to hate me, honestly. Please find a post that I posted where I threw you the finger sort of speak, and then you can say that, don't just say it without the facts.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Thank you for the all the useful information you have gave me, but I have to know do you want people on this forums to hate me, honestly. Please find a post that I posted where I threw you the finger sort of speak, and then you can say that, don't just say it without the facts.

Duh, you didnt throwed us the finger literally speaking.

Show me a video where you improved what we asked you to improve and I'll stop saying mean things about you.

Nov 10, 2007
Duh, you didnt throwed us the finger literally speaking.

Show me a video where you improved what we asked you to improve and I'll stop saying mean things about you.

Actually I don't buy stuff every week, thanks for trying though, Last thing I bought was about a month ago Drawing Room Deceptions, and I have been working on one effect form it the whole time, but again good try. I said you didn't throw me finger I said sort to speak but you prbably would not know what that means, so go ahead and show me a post. I dont need to improve on what YOU tell me I would take advice from someone like Chris Kenner, Dan and Dave, etc. I love to work on technique, I have said this before I do not like patter in my opinion it is boring to the spectator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results