Smoke

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Just stopping by to say that his is awesome and fun to play with, I even taught myself how to blow smoke rings haha.

So yeah I'm not gonna do a full review because I haven't gotten the full experience yet. I have performed it one on one with each of my family members and they loved it. But yeah this isn't for everyone, make sure it fits your image.

The gimmick is legit
Nothing to hide or palm

I am getting a second unit soon for my pre order with Alan so ...hah I'm having so much fun with one...now I'm gonna have two. This is gonna be a lot of fun. Worth way more than 50 dollars. Don't want to say too much :D

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Just stopping by to say that his is awesome and fun to play with, I even taught myself how to blow smoke rings haha.

So yeah I'm not gonna do a full review because I haven't gotten the full experience yet. I have performed it one on one with each of my family members and they loved it. But yeah this isn't for everyone, make sure it fits your image.

The gimmick is legit
Nothing to hide or palm

I am getting a second unit soon for my pre order with Alan so ...hah I'm having so much fun with one...now I'm gonna have two. This is gonna be a lot of fun. Worth way more than 50 dollars. Don't want to say too much :D

Dude you're making me so anxious to get this thing! Seems like a lot of fun man, glad you're diggin it!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
How many performances can you get out of one buy? Like, if I bought SMOKE today, how many performances would I be able to do before I have to buy refils?

Enough supplies are included for close to 1,000 performances. If and when you do run out, you can of course contact us to purchase a refill.

Oct 28, 2008
Technically, anything you put in your mouth poses any type of choking dangers. With Smoke, you'd have to be really REALLY careless with the gimmick for it to pose any type of choking danger.

Yeah I'm sold on this item, but didn't want a huge contraption in my mouth.

Smoke is effing genius.

It's only been a few hours since I received mine, but after watching the DVD a few times and experimenting with the gimmick, I can already see myself using Smoke with a variety of different effects I perform. It's a great utility device-- it's the type of thing you wish wasn't commercially sold so you could keep its full potential to yourself. If used properly, this simple device can not only build reputations but borderline on starting small religions. Ha.

The DVD
The Theory11 Team obviously worked hard as they always do to produce a quality product. The performance footage is awesome and the entertainment value is high. The production is top-notch: music is great; video is great; everything's crystal clear and the instruction doesn't leave much to the imagination. Dan White offers very thorough, detailed advice for the gimmick, and performs with it extremely well. As usual, T-11 didn't pull any punches. The only gripe (if it can be called that) is that there are no special features on the DVD. It would have been nice to see some raw footage of Alan Rorrison (the creator of the effect) perform it, himself. And unlike other T-11 releases, there wasn't a gag reel. Perhaps this is because Dan White's just effing flawless in every possible way and there were no bloopers to work with... who knows.

The Gimmick
This is what I was most impressed with. The gimmick is disguised as something that every working magician uses. It looks so innocent that it's hidden in plain sight. The use of the gimmick is so naturally motivated that the "secret move" is completely rendered invisible. When I first saw the gimmick in the package, I was like... "Um... what? How?" In my opinion, an analytical spectator will not be able to connect the dots and reverse-engineer this effect because the gimmick is so nicely disguised.

It's also comforting to know that the gimmick is very safe to use. The resulting 'smoke' is actually water vapor comprised of organic compounds found in other common household items as well as commercial fog machines. I honestly wouldn't recommend this item to anyone younger than 18 (as the advertisements and disclaimers advise), because it's still something that requires a certain degree of maturity and responsibility to effectively use. And personally, I find the image of a 13-year-old smoking to be pretty ridiculous... In any case, it's nice to know that T-11 thought of the welfare of its customers in the production of this gimmick. It doesn't feel unsafe or wrong in any way.

Potential Uses
This is really only limited to the individual's imagination. Dan White effectively outlines the importance of motivation and choreography for the effect, and as long as one follows that guidance, the possibilities of this effect are endless. He goes over a few supplementary ideas for the device, but even though they're decent ideas, I actually feel they sell the device short. Ideas I'm personally thinking about using the device for include:

Daniel Madison -- Signed Bill in Sharpie: A signed borrowed bill is lit on fire and vanishes. The magician blows a cloud of smoke toward the pen in a spectator's hands, and the bill is found rolled up inside the Sharpie.

Doug Bennett -- Fire Trap: A borrowed quarter is initialed and wrapped in some tissue paper. A match ignites the tissue where the coin vanishes in a flash of light. The magician blows a cloud of smoke toward the matchbook in a spectator's hands, and the coin is impossibly found in between the layers of paper that make up the matchbook.

Jay Sankey -- Carbon Paper: A signed selection is placed between the spectator's palms. The back of another card is scorched with a lighter. The magician makes the scorch mark vanish off the indifferent card. He blows a cloud of smoke toward the spectator's hands. The scorch mark reappears on the back of the signed selection.

Dan White/Dan Hauss -- Lit: After some close-up effects using matches, the matchbook is handed to a spectator as the magician writes down a prediction. She is asked to think of a playing card. The performer shows his prediction, but it's unfortunately wrong. He produces a cloud of smoke and blows it toward the matchbook in the spectator's hands. It's her mental selection.

There are numerous other ideas I'm personally thinking about and playing with, but I think mentioning these really shows the versatility of the effect. I love Smoke and I highly recommend it.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding the product, feel free to contact me and I'll be sure to answer them to the best of my ability. This really is a great product, and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I already do.

RS.

Hey folks. Sorry I was not on the dvd. We shot alot of footage over here but there where some issues on codecs and audio sync after it had transfared over etc. However Dan has done a fantastic job and i have no complaints on the matter. If you guys want ill edit up some performances from the footage i have here and we could possible have them in the media section. Im happy you guys are enjoying the effect..

Alan

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I actually used this at the premiere for Scott Pilgrim. I went to the theater and found some of my girlfriend's friends waiting in a group, So I joined the group and we were waiting in a line inside the theater. And I knew taking out a lighter would be a bad idea inside so I could not use the portal presentation. One of the gals had me hold her drink while she got her brother and I got the idea of acting like I sucked up smoke from her straw. It was a nice odd moment. She came back and she was watching me take a sip and I had an odd look on my face while smoke plumed out of my mouth.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Smoke is effing genius.

It's only been a few hours since I received mine, but after watching the DVD a few times and experimenting with the gimmick, I can already see myself using Smoke with a variety of different effects I perform. It's a great utility device-- it's the type of thing you wish wasn't commercially sold so you could keep its full potential to yourself. If used properly, this simple device can not only build reputations but borderline on starting small religions. Ha.

The DVD
The Theory11 Team obviously worked hard as they always do to produce a quality product. The performance footage is awesome and the entertainment value is high. The production is top-notch: music is great; video is great; everything's crystal clear and the instruction doesn't leave much to the imagination. Dan White offers very thorough, detailed advice for the gimmick, and performs with it extremely well. As usual, T-11 didn't pull any punches. The only gripe (if it can be called that) is that there are no special features on the DVD. It would have been nice to see some raw footage of Alan Rorrison (the creator of the effect) perform it, himself. And unlike other T-11 releases, there wasn't a gag reel. Perhaps this is because Dan White's just effing flawless in every possible way and there were no bloopers to work with... who knows.

The Gimmick
This is what I was most impressed with. The gimmick is disguised as something that every working magician uses. It looks so innocent that it's hidden in plain sight. The use of the gimmick is so naturally motivated that the "secret move" is completely rendered invisible. When I first saw the gimmick in the package, I was like... "Um... what? How?" In my opinion, an analytical spectator will not be able to connect the dots and reverse-engineer this effect because the gimmick is so nicely disguised.

It's also comforting to know that the gimmick is very safe to use. The resulting 'smoke' is actually water vapor comprised of organic compounds found in other common household items as well as commercial fog machines. I honestly wouldn't recommend this item to anyone younger than 18 (as the advertisements and disclaimers advise), because it's still something that requires a certain degree of maturity and responsibility to effectively use. And personally, I find the image of a 13-year-old smoking to be pretty ridiculous... In any case, it's nice to know that T-11 thought of the welfare of its customers in the production of this gimmick. It doesn't feel unsafe or wrong in any way.

Potential Uses
This is really only limited to the individual's imagination. Dan White effectively outlines the importance of motivation and choreography for the effect, and as long as one follows that guidance, the possibilities of this effect are endless. He goes over a few supplementary ideas for the device, but even though they're decent ideas, I actually feel they sell the device short. Ideas I'm personally thinking about using the device for include:

Daniel Madison -- Signed Bill in Sharpie: A signed borrowed bill is lit on fire and vanishes. The magician blows a cloud of smoke toward the pen in a spectator's hands, and the bill is found rolled up inside the Sharpie.

Doug Bennett -- Fire Trap: A borrowed quarter is initialed and wrapped in some tissue paper. A match ignites the tissue where the coin vanishes in a flash of light. The magician blows a cloud of smoke toward the matchbook in a spectator's hands, and the coin is impossibly found in between the layers of paper that make up the matchbook.

Jay Sankey -- Carbon Paper: A signed selection is placed between the spectator's palms. The back of another card is scorched with a lighter. The magician makes the scorch mark vanish off the indifferent card. He blows a cloud of smoke toward the spectator's hands. The scorch mark reappears on the back of the signed selection.

Dan White/Dan Hauss -- Lit: After some close-up effects using matches, the matchbook is handed to a spectator as the magician writes down a prediction. She is asked to think of a playing card. The performer shows his prediction, but it's unfortunately wrong. He produces a cloud of smoke and blows it toward the matchbook in the spectator's hands. It's her mental selection.

There are numerous other ideas I'm personally thinking about and playing with, but I think mentioning these really shows the versatility of the effect. I love Smoke and I highly recommend it.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding the product, feel free to contact me and I'll be sure to answer them to the best of my ability. This really is a great product, and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I already do.

RS.

Love your review and I am placing my order TODAY! CAN NOT WAIT! sorry for the caps, usually do not write like a 13 year old school girl, but Im exited for this. My question was, which set off notes is Daniel Madisons Signed bill to sharpie??
Thx In advance

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results