Where should I start with mentalism?

Apr 10, 2010
Hey guys its been forever sense I've been on the forums. Well I've been doing card magic for about 13 months now and I don't want to say I'm getting bored with it but I feel that the spectators that I perform for for a regular basis may be getting tired of the typical "Pick a card, lose it and find it". So I wish to broaden my horizons and wish to step into mentalism for my routines and performances. So with a little be of where I am and where I wish to go, Where should I start.

I'm looking good material, good books, dvds, lectures, theories, etc. Basically anything that would be good to start with. I greatly appreciate the help.

-Ninja G

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
If you're spectators are getting bored with the 'Pick a card, lose it, find it routine" then you're performing for the same spectators way too much, or you haven't found great card material.

I'd pick up Harry Loryane's "Up-Close Card Magic" and study that.

As for mentalism, it's not really my forte but I own and enjoy 'PRISM' by Max Maven and 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda

There are threads(tons of them) on these forums not far from the 1'st page. A quick search will reveal them but what i want to say is this.

Mentalism isn't something you just do, it's something you have to live for and strive for applying every single method to real life eg. using the ideas found in performance psychology and testing them out. For the most part being a mentalist is something you have to work for, the path isn't easy. Heck after three years i'm still in the first phases of it working out the kinks. It's a slow progress which in time will produce a powerful punch but you have to live it. Mentalism above any other magic type uses a big amount of theatric presence and also a lot of performance psychology. There are also tons and tons of details you have to look out for. Now i'm not saying it's going to be hard for you but the fact is if you want to be a mentalist you have to live it just like you have to live magic to be a real magician.

Also Cerca Trova, there are some great posts by some of my colleagues on these boards. They are packed with information so please do go and find them via the search! :)

M.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
there was a thread not too long ago along the same lines and i read through it. Great information, praetoritvong, (not sure if i got that right) actually gave some really great advice and several great resources, just search a little and im sure you'll find the thread and that should get you down the right path. Good luck

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The Alchemical Tools? Are you serious? Begining mentalism and you get suggested that I honestly don't believe there are more than five - ten mentalists on this forum who can effectivly use this book. Truth be told I don't think I can effectivly use this book. I am not going to give you a list of books or even one book to learn mentalism there are many great posts on this topic but with mentalism you cannot learn it you really have to learn to be the mentalist.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hey guys its been forever sense I've been on the forums. Well I've been doing card magic for about 13 months now and I don't want to say I'm getting bored with it but I feel that the spectators that I perform for a regular basis may be getting tired of the typical "Pick a card, lose it and find it". So I wish to broaden my horizons and wish to step into mentalism for my routines and performances. So with a little be of where I am and where I wish to go, Where should I start.

I'm looking good material, good books, dvds, lectures, theories, etc. Basically anything that would be good to start with. I greatly appreciate the help.

-Ninja G

Mentalism isn't something you just do, it's something you have to live for and strive for applying every single method to real life e.g. using the ideas found in performance psychology and testing them out. For the most part being a mentalist is something you have to work for, the path isn't easy..

For someone with only 3-years’ worth of foundation I think this post is prophetic; kudos for you! You’ve offers some very sound advice that is unlike the sort most will extend to a novice but yes, Mentalism is more of a “life style” than it is a series of effects. While anyone can learn the mechanics being a trick, the Mentalist strives to make the effect affect the patron in ways that seem “real” and beyond explanation and more importantly, outside the possibility of it being a “trick”. Far too many in today’s world mislabel routines like “Stigmata” as being Mentalism when in reality such bits are more accurately a part of Bizarre Magick, a spin-off of Mentalism’s darker side (bits dealing with ghosts, boogiemen, etc.) coupled with a touch of traditional magic & storytelling. I can assure you however, producing a motorcycle under the ruse of it being a Mental Miracle is horse pucky!

And yes, the Paul Brook book (say that 10 times really fast) is a great piece but ONLY AFTER YOU GET SOME FOUNDATION which would be a serious study of the two primary bibles of Mentalism – Practical Mental Magic by Annemann and 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda. I’ll add one other set of books and that’s the Karl Fulves books on self-working effects. I’m not a big one for card routines within Mentalism, but Karl has some very smart material that’s work learning.

What’s wrong with playing cards in Mentalism? You ask

You will find that there are two camps of thought with this issue, the “truests” of Mentalism seeking to distance themselves significantly from the magician’s craft strive to use alternatives over playing cards such as photographs, business cards, postcards, etc. because, psychologically, people do not view your use of such things as being the same as they would with a deck of cards which, for most, represent games of chance, manipulation/hustling and of course magicians doing card tricks. The camp that wants to support card tricks in Mentalism tend to be of the “Dunninger Mold” mind-set; recovering magicians who’ve just not recognized the fact that Mentalism, while a cousin to magic, is not one in the same, the psychological paradigms are actually contrasts to one another.

With all of that said, I will refer you to an article I wrote several years ago that has been given high kudos by numerous folk of note within our fraternity as well as those you will see commenting within the follow-up thread.

http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic11429.php

Sep 1, 2007
Just some thoughts

Corinda is a great resource.
Unexpected by Spelmann and Nardi is a wonderful dvd on impromptu mentalism
The Osterlind dvd series
Banachek's Psychological Subtleties 1-3

There is enough info in these resources to last a very long time

Sep 1, 2007
Banachek's Psychological Subtleties 1-3

Why do people keep recommending a book that no beginner should be within a mile of? I got 50 bucks says most of you recommend it without having actually read it.

I have a blog post with a beginner's guide to mentalism. If you're serious about starting this, know that the warnings are true and it's a tough road to walk. My list takes only the most basic steps necessary to get started. Hopefully you'll only be a couple books in before you decide whether or not this is for you so you don't blow a lot of money on stuff you'll never perform.

That said, listen to Craig. I have no idea why he's here given how few people on the internet ever read more than a paragraph or even read past the first post anymore, but any advice he gives on mentalism theory and performance is going to kick the **** out of anyone else on this board. I've spoken with him in the past, read his books, and can vouch that around here you won't find better.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Why do people keep recommending a book that no beginner should be within a mile of? I got 50 bucks says most of you recommend it without having actually read it.

I have a blog post with a beginner's guide to mentalism. If you're serious about starting this, know that the warnings are true and it's a tough road to walk. My list takes only the most basic steps necessary to get started. Hopefully you'll only be a couple books in before you decide whether or not this is for you so you don't blow a lot of money on stuff you'll never perform.

That said, listen to Craig. I have no idea why he's here given how few people on the internet ever read more than a paragraph or even read past the first post anymore, but any advice he gives on mentalism theory and performance is going to kick the **** out of anyone else on this board. I've spoken with him in the past, read his books, and can vouch that around here you won't find better.

Where's that embarrassed smiley when you need one?

Thank you for your more than kind words.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results