Spectator Walking Away In Middle of Performance

Sep 9, 2010
Okay, so last night, i went up to the children's director at my church, and asked him if he would like a magician at our fall festival, and showed him red hot mama, IN THE MIDDLE, of performing, some guy who helps with the children comes up and starts talking to him, i get done with red hot mama, and he doesn't say anything, just walks away talking to the other guy, and I KNOW it wasn't my performance, because i always get great reactions! what the heck?!?

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Okay, so last night, i went up to the children's director at my church, and asked him if he would like a magician at our fall festival, and showed him red hot mama, IN THE MIDDLE, of performing, some guy who helps with the children comes up and starts talking to him, i get done with red hot mama, and he doesn't say anything, just walks away talking to the other guy, and I KNOW it wasn't my performance, because i always get great reactions! what the heck?!?

Oh, I hate it when stuff like this happens. Normally though, it isn't for a business that I am trying to set up. Good news though, it is a learning experience. Next time, take charge of the instance. Look at the guy who interrupted and politely say "Excuse me sir, can you wait just one more second until I finish with this." And then continue on.

Sep 9, 2010
Oh, I hate it when stuff like this happens. Normally though, it isn't for a business that I am trying to set up. Good news though, it is a learning experience. Next time, take charge of the instance. Look at the guy who interrupted and politely say "Excuse me sir, can you wait just one more second until I finish with this." And then continue on.

Thanks! I am not really used to performing for adults yet either, that's one problem, and also, i was planning on just doing it for free, but I was going to ask him to be a referral. thank you for the help!

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Pastor's hate magic, it upstages their favorite magican Jesus.

but in all seriousness thats just rude, if i was you i'd tell the guy off and never offer again. People who dont show you respect dont deserve it. Would it possibly be your age? how old are you? To the people saying be polite, why? He was VOLUNTEERING to help , and was completely disrespected, dont be subservient to them. If they dont want you there and dont respect what your offering than they aren't worth your time or your respect and you shouldn't cow tow to them. If you have skill, which you say you do, and you got the goods, you will find other venues who appreciate what your offering.

Audience Control!!!! I would have stopped. Looked directly at both of them, told the other guy "Excuse me, I'm in the middle of something and you're interrupting." And finished the effect. I wouldn't let him get a word in edge wise without feeling like (and rightfully so) a complete jack ass for interrupting the performance.

Sep 9, 2010
Pastor's hate magic, it upstages their favorite magican Jesus.

but in all seriousness thats just rude, if i was you i'd tell the guy off and never offer again. People who dont show you respect dont deserve it. Would it possibly be your age? how old are you? To the people saying be polite, why? He was VOLUNTEERING to help , and was completely disrespected, dont be subservient to them. If they dont want you there and dont respect what your offering than they aren't worth your time or your respect and you shouldn't cow tow to them. If you have skill, which you say you do, and you got the goods, you will find other venues who appreciate what your offering.

Yeah, I'm 13, that could be a problem.

Willam Draven:

Thank you for the advice, I'm actually getting a book on that soon.:)

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
13 is young, but still old enough that your due the basic element of respect.

I can argue both sides on that one. But overall, I can understand where the guy was coming from. I don't think it was right, but I can see where he over looked you. And that is where your confidence has to take the stage. If you show that you are being serious and are confident, adults (sorry to through you into the category of kid, but it fits in this one) will treat you more on their level.

Jul 5, 2010
Instead of asking the person who is interrupting to wait until you are done, you should try including them. Next time this happens and the person starts to interupt, stop for a second look at him and say " did you see his card? No? Ok tell the man your card quick, I will turn away so I won't know". Most of the time this will be enough to intrigue the interuptor enough to watch the rest of your effect. If that doesnt work, kick him in the shin and throw glitter in his face.

Sep 9, 2010
Instead of asking the person who is interrupting to wait until you are done, you should try including them. Next time this happens and the person starts to interupt, stop for a second look at him and say " did you see his card? No? Ok tell the man your card quick, I will turn away so I won't know". Most of the time this will be enough to intrigue the interuptor enough to watch the rest of your effect. If that doesnt work, kick him in the shin and throw glitter in his face.

Bwahahahaha, this guy^. That was hilarious. also a good idea.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
You're 13yrs old, no matter how good you think you are, you're not always going to get respect from adults. You have no idea what the topic of conversation was and he may have had something very important to speak to the director about.

For those of you who are telling him to "tell him off" or anything of that nature, you're children yourself, regardless of your age apparently. You know nothing about the real world outside of magic. You think because magic is so important to you that it's important to everyone else. You focus on what's important to you and not to them, this is why you have trouble with audience respect. You guys look at magic as a vehicle to give yourself attention and glory rather than looking to see what you can give to others and your attitude shows through. People don't care about what's important to you.

TheIllusionistCasen - let it go. Keep on performing for people amd the subtle but important nuiances of audience management will come. But also focus on other things as well so you become a well rounded person. This alone will help you become a better magician because you want to be the guy that people can relate to.

Sep 9, 2010
You're 13yrs old, no matter how good you think you are, you're not always going to get respect from adults. You have no idea what the topic of conversation was and he may have had something very important to speak to the director about.

For those of you who are telling him to "tell him off" or anything of that nature, you're children yourself, regardless of your age apparently. You know nothing about the real world outside of magic. You think because magic is so important to you that it's important to everyone else. You focus on what's important to you and not to them, this is why you have trouble with audience respect. You guys look at magic as a vehicle to give yourself attention and glory rather than looking to see what you can give to others and your attitude shows through. People don't care about what's important to you.

TheIllusionistCasen - let it go. Keep on performing for people amd the subtle but important nuiances of audience management will come. But also focus on other things as well so you become a well rounded person. This alone will help you become a better magician because you want to be the guy that people can relate to.

Thank You very much. but, i heard them talking, it was pretty much about nothing.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN

I kinda disagree, I'm also 13 and this has happened to me once, and almost happened a lot of other times. You shouldn't try to "tell them off" but you should still ask them maturely and respectfully to wait because you're still doing something. It doesn't matter if it's magic or not, it's still extremely rude. And it's also rude to accuse people that might even be older than you of not knowing the "real world". I'm pretty sure that you don't know them, or their motives in magic. That's only making you sound more immature than them.

Sep 9, 2010
I kinda disagree, I'm also 13 and this has happened to me once, and almost happened a lot of other times. You shouldn't try to "tell them off" but you should still ask them maturely and respectfully to wait because you're still doing something. It doesn't matter if it's magic or not, it's still extremely rude. And it's also rude to accuse people that might even be older than you of not knowing the "real world". I'm pretty sure that you don't know them, or their motives in magic. That's only making you sound more immature than them.

Thanks for the advice, i definitely wouldn't tell them off, just ask them to wait a moment.:)

PS: my youth pastor loves magic too!=)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY

okay, every other post you make is you judging people you dont know and its getting ridiculous. Yeah magic is important to me. Ive put a lot of time into it. Just like my photography, and my artwork and my work ethic. And no, not everyone values it the same as me, but you know what those who do respect it see the passion i have for my interests and that is a benefit not a hindrance. I dont look at magic as a vehicle for anything, i look at it as a artform that i love and love to share, and ive never had an issue with audience respect. However, if someone doesn't value what im doing, whether it be magic, my job, volunteer work or even MY OPINION then why should i continue to try, if they dont see the value in it then i dont see the value in them. Thats how i live my life and its worked out pretty damn good, ive managed to get rid of people and situations i dont need and keep those that benefit me and my life. And surprising, when you have people around you that respect you and value your friendship and your person THEY DO CARE what you care about. Thats called a relationship. So now, since its clear your just talking to hear yourself talk and passing judgements you aren't qualified to make im gonna take my advice elsewhere, because as i said, people who dont appreciate it, dont deserve my time.

Aug 17, 2010

Did he ask to see a trick? Or did you just go into it when you were asking about the fall festival?

Also, it's kind of on the pastor, as he could have said "hold on, Ted, we're in the middle of something. Please continue."

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey fellas,
Thought I'd chime in here. You are correct that it was rude to interrupt but, b08 is also correct. As an adult, if most adults have something imperative to say to another adult, regarding a serious issue or something they believe is more important than the card trick, they are just going to go ahead and interrupt.

In their eyes, the card trick being performed by a 13 year old child, couldn't possibly be as important as what information they need to convey to their coworker, spouse, etc. You could be the next David Blaine and the adult is NOT going to care.

I guess if I were in your shoes I would have tried to include the guy as well and if it didn't work, than oh well. Don't be so hard on yourself and definitely don't ever try to tell and adult off or it isn't going to get you very far. Things have a way of coming back around and biting you.

For example: If a student athlete tells off his / her coach but then a year later needs a letter of recommendation for college...guess what...you're not getting one.

Just my two cents.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Were you trying to convince the guy to let you perform for the event? Because honestly, the best way to do that is to simply not perform for him, but to talk with him like an adult and explain the benefit of having a magician perform there. If he is willing to listen, he will then think about it.

But much like Baller mentioned, the other guy most likely had some more important information. Could have been something about the budget, the set up of the event, etc. All of these things out way your performance by a ton. Sure it's annoying to have people walk away, but really with something like this, the best thing to do is to simply talk to the guy about your idea and state it like an adult.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results