Performing Tricks Slowly Is Better?

Is it better to perform tricks and flourishes slowly?

• Yes, it is.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No, it's not

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Fruitcake!

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
Is it? Before you answer, consider the options:

Yes it is. (that's the first option)

No it's not. (that's the second option)

Now consider the reasoning:

1. Speed and fluidity showcases your skill and dedication to what you do (or something).

2. Doing something well, but slowly allows its effect to sink in with the audince.

Keep in mind:
Even doing a flourish slowly, but with fluid precise movements, can look good.

S

sidrohc

Each one can't really be "better" than the other, it's pretty much about which you prefer. I might think something looks better fast but someone else might prefer something slow.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not really sure.

I kind of feel like if I'm performing for laymen, it's easier for them to follow if I go slower.

It really feels good, though, to be able to do something quickly and skillfully...

I voted for slow since I really believe that the trick is for the spectator, not me.

(That's not true...it's all for me! Mine, mine, mine...)

I chose fruitcake because well... FRUITCAKE.

But in all seriousness it depends on the performer. The performer may want to have a confusing, fast pace routine rather than a slow and mysterious performance. Each can work depending on the performer. If you can make it work... then JUST DO IT! :)

Mitchell

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I went with fast because that way you won't get caught but not too fast, slwo enough for the spectator to follow, plus if you go too slw the spec might get bored

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Depends on the "trick".

If it's something like TiVo or subway, yeah sure. It does not look good when it is done slowly.
If I do a card routine trick like Jackass by Syd Segal, I would do it more slowly.

Sep 1, 2007
Depends on the "trick".

If it's something like TiVo or subway, yeah sure. It does not look good when it is done slowly.
If I do a card routine trick like Jackass by Syd Segal, I would do it more slowly.

Hmmm...

I disagree with those examples. Subway and Tivo look great when done slowly. They can still be performed quickly, but I think that if the handling is too fast, a lot of the elegance is lost.

Hmmm...

I disagree with those examples. Subway and Tivo look great when done slowly. They can still be performed quickly, but I think that if the handling is too fast, a lot of the elegance is lost.

Yeah I agree Subway is a great effect when done slow, Just the idea that the spectator's card travels from one packet to another and if you do it so it slowly comes out, it will build suspense then when they find out it's THEIR card, They'll go nuts.

_Michael

Sep 2, 2007
it can go either way, it depends on the performer, the trick, even the audience. I've done things fast and lost the audience, i've done things slow and lost them out of boredom. you gotta find that in between

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I can do things both way personally

It's all in personal preferance and skill.

Some people can do things slowly and bore the hell out of people and then some people will do a trick quickly and still bore people.

I can 100 percent say I can do things both ways and entertain, it's just in the HOW you do it.

It matters what trick your doing.

Lets say if I'm doing my ACR I'll do it slow so everyone can clearly see what's happening and let the magic moments sink in.

If I'm doing a 3 card monte routine or some other type of money winning game routine I would be a fast talker and try to confuse the audience.

It's your choice in the end. . Personally most of the time I perform a trick slowly so the spectators can see everything. And when they see everything slowly and still get fooled they will think the magician is that much better.

Why would you choose fruitcake???? How gross....

I chose yes it is. Because people seem to be more captivated by an effect when it's done slowly. Like say you to a retention vanish. It's much more magical when you act as if you are squeezing it slowly out of existence than when you just open your hand quickly. And Distortion. And Rising Card. The list goes on and on.

But on the other hand, some effects are better done fast. Some....

Sep 9, 2007
I think this question is worded in such a way that it can be interpreted differently by different people. not to mention people are trying to equate speed to a quality level.

Some will argue speed shows mastery of the technical ability. Sort of like doing it "automatically", without having to think about it. there's a certain fluidity to it.

Others will argue a successful trick done slowly and successfully shows that the performer has total control of his audience. there's a certain ability to appreciate the nuances.

so i guess, there's a beauty to both. to be honest, I don't think speed is even relevant to quality as long as the trick is performed properly....

Sep 1, 2007
I definitely agree with you on the 3CM.

Take the sort of material that Brian Tudor does; There is such a staggering amount of content in each routine, that if one were to go slowly, the audience would get bored. However, those routines seem to be very linear, with one effect coming right after the last, like a machinegun. This is all fine in that the nature of the routine requires fast skillful work.

What bothers me is what is says on the advertisement for GenX:

Once you master it, your spectators may notice only one tenth of what they're supposed to see... and only one one-hundredth of what is actually happening.

For me, that's not really what magic is supposed to be about. This seems to be making magic like a show for the magician, not the spectator. Shouldn't the spectator get the impression that everything is fair (no? I don't know)? Don't we want the spectator to see the magic?

But, whatever. Fruitcake, home-slice.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Hmmm...

Elegance? Okay...

Anyways, doing TiVo slowly really kills it for me in my opinion. And I'm not talking about like rushing fast, but kind of like Dan and Dave's speed at it. Subway done slowly? Yuck in my opinion also. If you have seen Tom Pinston's take on it(he stated that it was his card across variation, but it looks more like a subway variation) it's pretty cool on how he did it fast using ARM.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
It's whatever the effect needs. Paul Daniels' Chop Cup routine is a masterpiece, and is one of the fastest paced routine's I've seen. Yet for someone like the late Tommy Wonder, that presenational style would not work.

Hmm... maybe it's more on character? Off to think again...

Ty

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results