Performing Tricks Slowly Is Better?

Is it better to perform tricks and flourishes slowly?

• Yes, it is.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No, it's not

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Fruitcake!

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
I definitely think that with moves like productions speed is a must for it to look like magic. This obviously goes without saying on certain changes like shapeshifter. But while moves should be done quickly, I think that routines should go slower to give the spectators room to see what's happening.

Simple switch should be done quickly because that's just the feel of the trick. Erdnase change should be done slowly, as well as Axis. Does anyone actually use Axis?

Generally, though, I think magic is better when it's slower, just like when someone is speaking publicly, or something.

I definitely think that with moves like productions speed is a must for it to look like magic. This obviously goes without saying on certain changes like shapeshifter. But while moves should be done quickly, I think that routines should go slower to give the spectators room to see what's happening.

Simple switch should be done quickly because that's just the feel of the trick. Erdnase change should be done slowly, as well as Axis. Does anyone actually use Axis?

Generally, though, I think magic is better when it's slower, just like when someone is speaking publicly, or something.

The Axis is the most most blatantley impractical change I have ever known. Completely and utterly useless.

Is it? Before you answer, consider the options:

Yes it is. (that's the first option)

No it's not. (that's the second option)

Now consider the reasoning:

1. Speed and fluidity showcases your skill and dedication to what you do (or something).

2. Doing something well, but slowly allows its effect to sink in with the audince.

Keep in mind:
Even doing a flourish slowly, but with fluid precise movements, can look good.
yes very true, when in a audience if you do a flourish very fast and quick it will amke them go wow! but they wont know what you did, if you do it slowly, it will make them go thats really cool and they understand it and know what it is, maybe not the correct name but know what is it, like if its a sybil they might describe as he used 4 packets of cards and transfered them into each and hand with a z figure with an extra packet, or somehting like that

Oct 21, 2007
Performing fast or slow really depends on the person. Some people perform kind of fast but it works for them. Some people perform slow and it works for them also. Now some people might perform slow but they never get as good of a reaction as if they performed the same affect, routine, or flourish fast.

It really matters on the comfort level. What speed you feel comfortable performing with makes you that much more natural because your comfortable. What you do that makes you comfortable which works for you is what will work with other people when they watch it.

There are magicians out there that are amazing, they also perform pretty fast, but it works for them because of one thing, they are comfortable.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results