Mentalism with a Deck ...

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Hey there, i am looking for something (book or DVD) that focuses on mentalism using just a deck of card, preferably impromptu. I've searched a bit both here and some other sites but can't seem to find something that satisfy my needs ... Can u guyz help me on that ? I already have "The Devil's Picturebook" by Derren Brown and found quite some good mentalism effects ...

So, any recommendation ?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Are you trying to do mentalism or mental magic?

This is funny already. In order, the responses have been:

-Well-intentioned but uninformed suggestion
-Attempting to look hardcore, cool and elite suggestion
-Have no idea but heard about it once suggestion
-Real, but probing suggestion

-And of course, this satirical but also entirely unhelpful response

But seriously - answer Steerpike's question first, then I'll throw in my two cents. Reason being that you're very vague, which makes me wonder if you know what you want, or if you'd be suitable for what I'd like to suggest.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Sorry mine wasn't too in depth, I was on my break on my IPhone and didn't feel like typing on it too much.

Mich Ayres gives you a lot of practical mentalism effects you can do with no gimmicks. Just cards. He goes a lot into scripting, theatrics, and even transitional scripting to get you every detail.

In his S'lie manuscript he explains his Shuffled System which is a greater/easier version of Richard Osterlind's BCS.
Only one or two tricks rely on the his shuffled system but the rest are impromptu and GREAT!

Matthew Mello has a few nice mental magic effects that are surefire and quick. i.e. his Card at any number.

I do Lee Smith's Third Degree which is from his Step System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH_S8sQ0TbY
I performed it to a random audience for the first time earlier this month and it went pretty much how you see in the youtube video :D

Tell me what kind of mentalism you'd like to do with cards so we can get into specifics.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Whilst I agree with the Mick Ayres suggestion it is only for serious performers. Whilst it contains very good mentalism it is not for him.

And the fact that you mentioned third degree is not mentalism. It is not even mental magic it is just a magic trick.

Feb 4, 2008
I'll probably get ripped for stating the two most obvious but....Practical Mental Magic and 13 Steps to Mentalism both have sections on mentalism with cards. Some effects are mental magic, some are mentalism. I think "mind or muscle" would be a great opener for a set of mentalism with cards since it is structured around muscle reading. From muscle reading you can graduate to a reading "tells" kind of effect, ie, a think stop type effect. You can then finish with a predictive action type effect, ie. Poker Deal, ID, or a do as I do.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Whilst I agree with the Mick Ayres suggestion it is only for serious performers. Whilst it contains very good mentalism it is not for him.

And the fact that you mentioned third degree is not mentalism. It is not even mental magic it is just a magic trick.

What do you mean by serious performers? I think everyone should be a serious performer and take their magic in a way that it's not way half assed. But I think even the hobby magician (as I) could find something gold in there. Yes the way it is fleshed out in the manuscript is in the way of a one-man show. But I find myself taking the methods/script and putting my own twist to them to do them outside of that venue.

Third Degree I put up because it's a "different" kind of effect. The ending with the "what was the card you've been thinking of this entire time?" for me when I perform it gives a intro-to-mentalism kind of feel. So I put that up based on my personal feel/touch to it.

I'm giving him some suggestion with a little bit of variety because he is not being very specific. Other than Impromptu/Deck of Cards.

So I'm giving him a few options.

Sep 1, 2007
What do you mean by serious performers? I think everyone should be a serious performer and take their magic in a way that it's not way half assed.

Yawn!

But I think even the hobby magician (as I) could find something gold in there. Yes the way it is fleshed out in the manuscript is in the way of a one-man show. But I find myself taking the methods/script and putting my own twist to them to do them outside of that venue.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. You can start your education in mentalism with Psychological Subtleties. Doesn't mean you should.

Third Degree I put up because it's a "different" kind of effect.

The quotation marks make me think you're a bit sheepish about that idea.

The ending with the "what was the card you've been thinking of this entire time?" for me when I perform it gives a intro-to-mentalism kind of feel.

No. It really doesn't. That's mental magic with some extra bells and whistles. It is not mentalism. Magic and mentalism are performed differently. From what you describe, you're still performing magic and are not making any transition to mentalism whatsoever.

So I put that up based on my personal feel/touch to it.

And he was supposed to know this, how?

I'm giving him some suggestion with a little bit of variety because he is not being very specific. Other than Impromptu/Deck of Cards.

Why not start with the fundamentals instead before going off on tangents? Have you yourself read the fundamentals? Or do you believe that buying a couple of tricks with a mental theme makes you a mentalist?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It is card magic with a peeked at card nothing more.

S'Lie is $45 dollars and it is a considerable amount when you could look into other books about scripting and presentation.

Dec 11, 2010
California
Past Midnight by Benjamin Earl has some nice mentalism with cards. I suggest all 3 dvd's because it is an AMAZING set to have, but if you want just the card mentalism vol. 3 is dedicated to it.

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?3526-Past-Midnight-Full-Review (whole review)

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?3526-Past-Midnight-Full-Review&p=47013#post47013 (dvd. 3)
http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?3526-Past-Midnight-Full-Review&p=47014#post47014 (dvd. 3 continued)

List of tricks in dvd 3
Disc 3 - Psychological

Ramjollock
Pseudo Brainwave
Mental Voyage
Thought of Card in Pocket
Peek Techniques
Lookaway Glimpse
SAS
Intuitive Poker I
Intuitive Poker II
Two Card Transpo
Bonus Effect
Playing the Odds

runtime: 1hr 17min
Also the professional opportunist vol. 1 and 2 have some card mentalism effects as well.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Wow I have a feeling you are somewhat an insecure bully who thinks he is the grandmaster of mentalism.
I'm giving suggestions and you are attacking everything I'm saying.

"yawn"

Really? Have some respect for people.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
Wow I have a feeling you are somewhat an insecure bully who thinks he is the grandmaster of mentalism.

Oh spare me. Is this the first time anyone's every actually criticized you? Jesus, when are you kids going to grow a pair and realize that not all ideas are created equal? Stop whining like a brat with a skinned knee and learn to accept the fact that you're going to make a bad suggestion now and again and you will get called on it.

I'm giving suggestions and you are attacking everything I'm saying.

No, I'm pointing out why they don't work. Durr-hey!

Really? Have some respect for people.

Start earning it.

Peace. And all that jazz.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
What do you mean by serious performers? I think everyone should be a serious performer and take their magic in a way that it's not way half assed. But I think even the hobby magician (as I) could find something gold in there. Yes the way it is fleshed out in the manuscript is in the way of a one-man show. But I find myself taking the methods/script and putting my own twist to them to do them outside of that venue.

Third Degree I put up because it's a "different" kind of effect. The ending with the "what was the card you've been thinking of this entire time?" for me when I perform it gives a intro-to-mentalism kind of feel. So I put that up based on my personal feel/touch to it.

So I'm giving him a few options.

Steer's got some valid points, blindside. I stick with my original opinion...

Apr 4, 2011
Lately i like to perform 49 seconds by Luke Jermay with a deck of cards, in terms of mentalism with cards. Not only it is from a perfectly shuffle deck, the routine itself kill some of the knowledgable magician too.

Aug 18, 2009
you can check our Derren Brown's Devil's Picture, it's a DVD... and Prue Effect. but most of the effects are just the same is his two projects

Sep 1, 2007
the routine itself kill some of the knowledgable magician too.

Who gives a ****? Magician foolers are a waste of time and money.

you can check our Derren Brown's Devil's Picture, it's a DVD... and Prue Effect. but most of the effects are just the same is his two projects

Who would you recommend that to someone who knows nothing about mentalism? That's like handing someone who has only taken a couple semesters of French a copy of Marcel Proust's "A la recherche du temps perdu" and telling them you want a book report on it next week.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results