Mentalism with a Deck ...

Sep 1, 2007
I can't help but thinking that if steerpike is as good as he thinks he is, or would like people to think he is. He would be far too busy to surf these forums in the first place. Food for thought.

It's been said already but run over with the barking. You should start with the basics, as always. Read through 13 steps of mentalism, there's a whole chapter using cards. Richard Osterlind has a video series on the book if reading isn't your thing.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
LOL okay Steerpike. Put up or shut up time. What IS a book you would recommend for the OP?

You're an idiot. He addresses this and other problems, several times, and in greater depth than anyone here, in his blog. Go read.

He also happens to be right. You obviously have some grudge from being insulted at one point or another, and granted, Steerpike is abrasive at the best of times, but he's also right - and he's right in this case about magician foolers and Derren Brown.

And, as D ICE R mentioned, Steerpike hints heavily at Fundamentals, which even the most ignorant amateur should recognise as a Bob Cassidy e-book, as well as a whole group of readings in and of itself which should take no knowledge to recognise. If you read the words "read the fundamentals" and have no idea where to go - you clearly have no business questioning anyone's knowledge.

Here's a vote for shut up time for you.

Sep 1, 2007
I can't help but thinking that if steerpike is as good as he thinks he is, or would like people to think he is. He would be far too busy to surf these forums in the first place. Food for thought.

That first sentence suggests that I want or need your approval. Also, I'm semi-professional at this point. I perform, but I don't get enough paying gigs to be considered full-time. I made some mistakes as a businessman that set me back. Is that what you wanted to hear?

LOL okay Steerpike. Put up or shut up time. What IS a book you would recommend for the OP?

Seek and ye shall find.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

It's been said already but run over with the barking. You should start with the basics, as always. Read through 13 steps of mentalism, there's a whole chapter using cards. Richard Osterlind has a video series on the book if reading isn't your thing.

Is that right? How do you explain Craig Browning's innumerably detailed, time-consuming thoughts? How about Richard Osterlind's thousands of posts on the Cafe? Bob Cassidy's?

Methinks one should look at the quality of the information within the posts - not how often someone posts.

At the end of the day - you just recommended exactly what Steerpike said. So I really don't understand the implication. Less food, more thought.

Feb 4, 2008
Truth be told I am sure that Steerpike mentioned fundmentals in his first post c
Nope....second post he mentions fundamentals but not what he considers those to be. If he thinks those are Annemann or Corinda then he could have spared us a bunch of useless bickering by simply backing up my post as opposed to nit picking everybody else's. I get your frustration with newbies guys, I really do, but trust me you will have a bigger impact on people by trying to steer them in the right direction instead of stopping them from going in the wrong direction.

To the OP. If you want good advice on mentalism related topics, check out the Penguin forums. It is a quieter place than T11 but when it comes to mentalism there are a couple of really knowledgeable guys over there.Peter Turner just showed up. I think he is an up and coming "thinker." He is about to release his second book. Benji Bruce is a wealth of knowledge, not just on mentalism but in terms of marketing as well. We also have some serious hobbiests over there as well but those two guys in particular are very helpful in regards to mentalism questions. Be a "forum opportunist!" I come here because T-11 folks tend to know a lot more about card magic than the Penguin crowd.

Cheers! And good luck searching for the material you are after.;)

Sep 1, 2007
If he thinks those are Annemann or Corinda then he could have spared us a bunch of useless bickering by simply backing up my post as opposed to nit picking everybody else's.

Notice that you were the only one who actually asked what it was I would recommend. The rest were too busy whining about the mean man on the internet to ask a question. Besides, sometimes people need to be told why they're wrong.

I get your frustration with newbies guys, I really do, but trust me you will have a bigger impact on people by trying to steer them in the right direction instead of stopping them from going in the wrong direction.

Oh, you think it's newbies I have a problem with? Of course not, that would be silly. What I have a problem with is magicians who think they're mentalists because they bought 13 Steps or watched Derren Brown on TV that one time. But god forbid an actual mentalist disagree with them because that's just plain heresy! You're not respecting their opinions enough.

As an aside, I just remembered that the OP, Slicke has a long history of asking questions, never giving any indication that he actually reads the answers he gets, and comes back later showing no sign that he's learned a damn thing. So I guess the joke's on us?

Sep 1, 2007
That first sentence suggests that I want or need your approval. Also, I'm semi-professional at this point. I perform, but I don't get enough paying gigs to be considered full-time. I made some mistakes as a businessman that set me back. Is that what you wanted to hear?

That's not what the first sentence suggests, that's also not the first time I've heard you say that. Sticking point for you?
It was a post to flip the conversation around, too much bullying from you so I poked back. I know you know what you're talking about, I was just messing around. Nice blog by the way.

praetoritevong said:
Is that right? How do you explain Craig Browning's innumerably detailed, time-consuming thoughts? How about Richard Osterlind's thousands of posts on the Cafe? Bob Cassidy's?

Methinks one should look at the quality of the information within the posts - not how often someone posts.

At the end of the day - you just recommended exactly what Steerpike said. So I really don't understand the implication. Less food, more thought

Wow you have a lot of posts. That might have stung you a tad more than Steer. I was just messing around - relax, don't feed the trolls. Methinks the same way youthinketh. Although I don't see how it was relevant.

I think the OP has sufficient amounts of information at this point. Off we flock to another internet fight.

Feb 4, 2008
Notice that you were the only one who actually asked what it was I would recommend.
Because I want to know YOUR OPINION! Don't you get it? I do respect the people who have been doing this longer and I am bright enough to figure out who knows what they are talking about from the stupid d Bags. The only problem is that, at least when it comes to the knowledgeable mentalists around here, you all so jaded that people who are interested in hearing what you have to say will never learn a damn thing from any of you. You need to learn to step above that crap. You, Craig, Prea...you guys are the local experts on this subject in this forum. Like it or not that gives you a responsibility. There is a lot more to leadership than just knowing a lot of stuff and having lots of experience.

Feb 4, 2008
You're an idiot. He addresses this and other problems, several times, and in greater depth than anyone here, in his blog. Go read.

He also happens to be right. You obviously have some grudge from being insulted at one point or another, and granted, Steerpike is abrasive at the best of times, but he's also right - and he's right in this case about magician foolers and Derren Brown.

And, as D ICE R mentioned, Steerpike hints heavily at Fundamentals, which even the most ignorant amateur should recognise as a Bob Cassidy e-book, as well as a whole group of readings in and of itself which should take no knowledge to recognise. If you read the words "read the fundamentals" and have no idea where to go - you clearly have no business questioning anyone's knowledge.

Here's a vote for shut up time for you.

You are out of line and you know it. You and I have had some disagreements but always respectful. I wasn't aware of his blog nor was it mentioned in this post. I'm interested in becoming a mentalist.....not a psychic.

I have been at magic on and off for 20 years. I have been serious about it for five years. I have been drifting towards mentalism for the last year....and I AM an ignorant amateur and will continue to be so until one of you jerks shows the common human decency of mentioning that one of the best beginner books for mentalism with cards happens to "Fundamentals" by Bob Cassidy!

I apologize if I unwittingly asked you guys to show a little maturity and try to help more than you obstruct. I spent the better part of a decade fighting wildfires across the US and in that time I learned that people who have the attitude that "withholding knowledge is power," just get other people killed. That's why all this, "That's a dumb recommendation," "Your an idiot," stuff gets me riled up a bit. I realize that those attitudes on a magic forum will only cause to start harmless flame wars and waste a little time but because I have known people who have been burned over because some arrogant jerk didn't think they "needed to know," I think you can understand my distaste for the way some of you have conducted yourselves.

A question was asked. Answer it honestly. Refute, respectfully if possible, advice that may lead someone down the wrong path, and then hope for the best. If the OP is to stupid to know who knows a thing or two then that is his problem.

Sep 1, 2007
That's not what the first sentence suggests, that's also not the first time I've heard you say that. Sticking point for you?

I think it's something that needs to be clarified. Regularly. Everyone keeps acting as if their disapproval is something that's supposed to bother me.

It was a post to flip the conversation around, too much bullying from you so I poked back.

Really? Because it sounded more like the sort of "clever" rebuttal I've come to expect from this place. If you think my advice is credible, then why imply that I'm a windbag with more hot air than brains?

Because I want to know YOUR OPINION! Don't you get it? I do respect the people who have been doing this longer and I am bright enough to figure out who knows what they are talking about from the stupid d Bags.

Not my point. Most everyone here recommends the same material because they don't know anything else. But when challenged on that, they don't think about it or ask for a better example or even an explanation. They just complain. This is one of the reasons I don't hold magicians in particularly high esteem.

The only problem is that, at least when it comes to the knowledgeable mentalists around here, you all so jaded that people who are interested in hearing what you have to say will never learn a damn thing from any of you. You need to learn to step above that crap. You, Craig, Prea...you guys are the local experts on this subject in this forum. Like it or not that gives you a responsibility. There is a lot more to leadership than just knowing a lot of stuff and having lots of experience.

I have no problem with those who actually want to learn. My problem is, again, with the magicians who think they're already mentalists because they bought some tricks. These people are like puppies: you have to keep hitting them with a rolled up newspaper or they'll **** all over the floor. My responsibility usually means telling people why they're wrong. And god damn, they are wrong a lot. It boggles my mind everytime I hear some never-gonna-be recommending to a neophyte that he start his education in mentalism with Psychological Subtleties.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results