TnR Review

Sep 1, 2007
Intro
Well, I got the download for TnR as an impulse purchase. I've been looking at the trailer for a week and it's been fascinating to watch so when I remembered it was released, I just went ahead and grabbed it without thinking.

All I can say is, I should have read the reviews first.

While I'm not saying this is a bad effect, not even CLOSE, because the effect is incredible, there are a few major flaws (in my eyes) that cause me to dislike it. These may be just my inexperience at work, but I feel as if there are some performance issues to mention as well. However, I'm going to break it down into simple easy to read review format.

The Video
The video is top notch as we've come to expect from Theory11. The angles are shown very well and the lighting is sufficient to see what is going on.

The Teaching
The teaching, also, is top notch. Kenner really covers all the points in extreme detail, and goes through step by step how to construct the gimmick. It is EXTREMELY easy to follow. The one routine he teaches is also well explained and in depth.

The Gimmick
The idea behind this gimmick is, as everyone else has mentioned, one of those things where you smack your forehead and say "why didn't I think of that!" In fact, I'm sure many people have thought of certain aspects of it but didn't take it all the way like this. The gimmick is constructed solely of easy-to-find household items that can be ALL be bought at any drug store (unless they're out of them, like mine were >.<). Constructing is isn't so difficult as it first appears, but there is a little trial and error involved depending on the quality of your materials (not quality as related to price, don't worry).

The Effect
The effect is, as you can see on the preview, a torn and restored card. While it can be performed simply as a torn and restored card, the effect Kenner teaches in the video is not simply that. There is a routine involved that builds up to the effect, involving a selection and revelation after the card is restored. This is how it goes:

(note, I don't believe this is exposure since there are no methods involved, however, there is information that is not knowable without purchasing the effect. If this needs to be removed, please let me know)

The performer picks out a card as a prediction, and the spectator names any card in the pack. Since it can almost be guaranteed that it will be the wrong card, the prediction card is ripped up into four pieces and placed on the table. A card is then selected by the spectator and placed in the middle of the pack. The performer then proceeds to restore the torn prediction card, showing front and back of each piece, until it is fully restored. Then the card is turned around to reveal that it has changed into the spectator's selection.

Verdict

Pros:
-Extremely visual effect, with no unnatural movements during the restoration
-Shocking surprise ending, taking the trick beyond a TnR
-Well taught, clear instruction
-Fairly good angles

Cons:
-Card can not be immediately handed out for inspection
-You need a LOT of dupes. 4, to be precise.
-Very easy to flash the gimmick by accident (if you own it, you'll see what I mean)
-The prediction card must be torn extremely precisely, which makes for a large delay in performance, as well as a very unnatural moment in an otherwise natural routine
-The routine given on the DVD will not be suited for many people's style; it is very laid back and humorous. Also, no "mystifying" alternative is given for people who perform in that fashion.
-You end VERY dirty, even after the card's been handed out.

Final Thoughts
While I recognize that this effect is truly remarkable in its simplicity and genius, I am not really a fan. While I am admittedly not experienced or comfortable with using gimmicks, I feel as if this one is particularly easy to be afraid of because of the ease of which it can be accidentally flashed and its impossibility of being played off by improvisation. Also, there is a big flaw in the way the card must be carefully and precisely ripped into quarters. It just doesn't fit in with the otherwise casual and natural routine.

Sadly, I can say that I will probably end up not using this extraordinary piece of magic. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way, and I would have a very hard time getting the nerve to try out the gimmick for an audience, because of its massive scope in this trick. I am truly sorry to say that I regret this purchase, and yet I can still recommend it highly to others who would be comfortable with it. It's just not my thing.

I give this effect an 8/10. I can't detract from the genius of the gimmick or the smoothness of the restoration, but it gets a few points knocked off for the flaws I pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed on most points. after watching it and contructing my first gimmick, I didn't think i would use it. after playing with it for a couple hours i love it and will probally use it. don't be discouraged. this effect takes practice just like any piece of magic or cardistry. i can't wait to use it tomarrow.

Sep 1, 2007
agreed on most points. after watching it and contructing my first gimmick, I didn't think i would use it. after playing with it for a couple hours i love it and will probally use it. don't be discouraged. this effect takes practice just like any piece of magic or cardistry. i can't wait to use it tomarrow.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not writing it off, but I'm not too high on it yet either.

Sep 1, 2007
Ermmmmmmmmm. Makes me not really want to buy it. I don't even like T&r's anyway, but if you end as dirty as it seems, no effing way.

Yikes. I was really expecting a lot more. Since it's Mathieu Bich's I thought there wouldn't be any flaws at all. And since you don't end clean, I'm not going to get this one.

Nice review. Thanks for the info.

Nov 24, 2007
Well I finally managed to get the download after a few teething problems. I was pretty annoyed at the whole thing when I finally watched the video - so not in the best frame of mind.

However, after watching the video I have to say this is absolute genius. I love the effect, love the gimmick even more. Worth every penny and then some. There are no handling/cleanup issues that I feel cannot be dealt with comfortably and the concept here is outstanding.

Love it.

Jamie.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I'm not sure how you can end really dirty if you can hand the card out. Even if you have something palmed, that is not exactly very dirty.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
So pretty much...

If you're not into doing torn and restored effects, this isn't one to get started with? I think I'll pass on this one if that's the case...or just buy it out of curiousity (I feel like spending money lol).

C

clarrus

So pretty much...

If you're not into doing torn and restored effects, this isn't one to get started with? I think I'll pass on this one if that's the case...or just buy it out of curiousity (I feel like spending money lol).

personally I think this would be a great trick to start TnR effects with because it's soooooo easy. I mean it's soooooo easy. I would compare it to solving the quantum theoretical string theory within the althosian field on the basis of subspace entity WITHOUT the use of wormhole technology.......it's that easy.

Seriously though it is pretty easy and yes the above nerd comment was made by watching stargate, eureka, farscape, and various other sci fi nerd shows.

C

clarrus

Do you need 4 of the same cards for EACH performance?

no they can be done over and over again. Also if you are worried about cost MY personal view on it is that a deck of cards cost around $2. This is a hobby of mine i really enjoy and i'm sure most of you guys do also. For me to do a performance i would need 3 decks and i'm set for a really long time. $6 to do a REALLY nice trick over and over again until the next big thing comes out. Also you have extra cards lying around for other tricks that may need it.

Thus I don't see how cost is an issue of the trick at all. I've spent $6 on worse things that arn't fun.

Hope this helps........

Sep 1, 2007
Well with such a trick like this especially when you hand them the card at the end of the performance it's natural to let them keep it. So You would need a new one each time.

C

clarrus

Well with such a trick like this especially when you hand them the card at the end of the performance it's natural to let them keep it. So You would need a new one each time.

This is true but there are 12 court cards and if the type of deck allows it, you can even use number cards. So at the minimum you get 12 performences with a set of decks. I'm sure with creative juices you can make the number cards gimmick as well.

Aug 31, 2007
This is true but there are 12 court cards and if the type of deck allows it, you can even use number cards. So at the minimum you get 12 performences with a set of decks. I'm sure with creative juices you can make the number cards gimmick as well.

That doesn't work, you don't restore a card into a queen of spades, then give them a jack.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results