Covert hypnosis

Hello again t11,

As always, when I have a burning question about the art and craft of magic I come here to ask for professional advice. So far this comunity has helped me a lot with all my matters. Usually I think "hey I really wanna learn about body language. Better ask on t11 about a good book or something". This time it was different. I tried to research the subject of covert hypnosis on my own, but with no luck. The internet is full of SCAM products that claim to teach you hypnosis, covert hypnosis, NLP and whatnot. You know... the looooong white page with red writing which from time to time says "... but WAIT, THERE's MORE !". I also found a lot of blogs with names that would make you think they really have information in them, but only empty words. No actual information to learn from these blogs either. So as always I have come to you !

Would someone here with experience in the field of hypnosis to give me some guidance in where to find more info ( instructional books/dvds/stone writings ) about hypnosis, covert hypnosis, NLP and other stuff of the mind? So far I've watched The Trilby Connection and it was an amazing source for learning the basics.

Thank you in anticipation for all your answers.

Nov 8, 2007
Would someone here with experience in the field of hypnosis to give me some guidance in where to find more info ( instructional books/dvds/stone writings ) about hypnosis, covert hypnosis, NLP and other stuff of the mind? So far I've watched The Trilby Connection and it was an amazing source for learning the basics.

Thank you in anticipation for all your answers.

Igor Ledochowski is a very reputable guy that has a great set on teaching covert hypnosis that you can find here: http://conversational-hypnosis.com

Keep in mind, though, that generally covert or conversational hypnosis is used for therapy and change work, and not performance. Generally, the range of phenomena you're going to get with conversational hypnosis is going to be much lighter than that of overt hypnosis. Conversational hypnosis is used more to change someone's mood, feeling about a subject, etc. by imbedding hypnosis into storytelling and conversation. You could certainly have some fun experimenting with it, but if you're looking to entertain with hypnosis, overt is the way to go, and you have an excellent resource for learning overt hypnosis with the Trilby Connection DVD set you said you have.

Hope that helps.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Paging Doctr Browning... Doctor Craig Browning...

Ok, I'm here. . .

Yes, there are scams out there on most any topic you want to name but too, there are people that think something should be a certain way and when they find out it's not, they assume the information is a scam -- fertilizer!

First of all, there is no such thing as "Covert Hypnosis" though Conversational Hypnosis does exist and to be effective with it REQUIRES one to go to school and get proper guidance, practice and CERTIFICATION. . . something that keeps getting brushed aside within our industry for some odd reason, few realizing (yet) that they can face some nasty law suits when practicing certain kinds of hypnosis without board certification. Besides, it looks good on your resume and give your claim of being a hypnotist stronger validation.

The formal name for Conversational Hypnosis is typically "Ericksonian" Hypnosis", the name being associated with Milton Erickson, the man that made it an art. And while I'm certain there are some commercially available short cuts on the market, I'm a stickler for people taking the proven path vs. quick and "easy".

If you want to learn Hypnosis, know why! If it's for a show then study what's out there; Reality is Plastic, The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis by Ormond McGill, The Real Work of Stage Hypnosis by Bob Cassidy, and so on. There's a huge difference between stage work and legit hypnosis, the former requiring rather larger balls and exceeding confidence to make happen, there's nothing covert about it.

If you want to build up an act that looks like "Covert Hypnosis" I would suggest that you look into the Telepathy in Action manuscript by Orville Meyer, but understand that this act requires above par stage/people management skills and nerve, it's not for anyone that lacks any level of confidence our doubt but it does work and it kills! I've done the act and it nearly killed me . . . it can be quite stressful in other words.

The Up-Side you will have by learning genuine hypnosis and counseling techniques is that you have a fall back -- a day job that pays exceptionally well and is on the up and up. By doing shows you are able to draw new clients to your legit practice and vice-versa. . . and before I sign off on this I want to circumvent the possibility that our OP might shun the Ormond McGill text; Ormond is a legend in the world of clinical hypnosis as well as the world of Magic & Mentalism, he penned nearly 100 books through the course of his life, all on Hypnosis with but a few addressing the show biz side of things. In other words, he's one of the most legit sources you're going to find as is his part-time partner Arnold Furst and a student of sorts named Jerry Valley. I recommend any and all materials from these gents in that it's real!

BTW. . . NLP is a modern contrivance and questionable at best while FACS is genuine but requires years to learn and perfect. I'd suggest you start with the hypnosis before attempting to learn the other.

Sep 1, 2007

I would recommend reading this before you attempt to study NLP.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
That's a debatable statement. From multiple angles. Especially since there isn't even a consensus on what hypnosis is or how it works.

Context Mat. . .

Conversation Hypnosis is established reality and what people (magicians) are referring to when they mislabel it as "Covert" or "Stealth" hypnosis. My comment centers on using the right wordage for what one is seeking to learn about. . . makes it so much easier to research (especially on a search engine, which so few seem capable of using now days).

Truthfully, I think you knew this but just wanted to poke the old bear a bit while tossing a new issue onto the table -- the century old debate over what hypnosis is and isn't. The popular consensus in the Mental Health and Medical worlds being that it works and has worked successfully in cases of surgery (replacing traditional anesthesia) as well in scenarios of controlling blood flow. There is far more experiential evidence that supports the work of genuine hypnosis than not, so I'd say the cynical perspectives are shared only by those that don't want to believe in anything they cannot touch, taste, weigh or measure -- folks that see the world in Black & White vs. the many shades of grey that in reality, exists in great abundance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results