The first trick you ever learned?

Jul 22, 2013
California
The more I have been applying myself to magic, I keep on thinking (and laughing at myself)about how difficult simply fanning out the cards was when I was younger. Then I felt sentimental so I pulled out the first toy store magic set I ever bought, and pulled out the first effect from it I ever learned. This was the one where you stack three cups, and a ball seemingly passes through the stack to the bottom cup. So I was wondering, what was the first trick you folks learned?

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
I believe it was an effect where the spectator counts any number of cards onto the table, and after that he can
deal these cards into four piles - and magically one Ace is on top of each pile ;)

Jul 22, 2013
California
I believe it was an effect where the spectator counts any number of cards onto the table, and after that he can
deal these cards into four piles - and magically one Ace is on top of each pile ;)

I love that one, it is great for kids. And even some mathematically challenged adults :)

Sep 1, 2007
I think it was a color change. Erdnase I believe. I started working on false shuffles, palms and transfers after that. It's been an interesting journey since then.

Jan 22, 2012
I think the first one I learned was this torn and restored rubber band trick from my dad. I also think I learned how to force and peek at card. It's surprising how far I've gotten from that but I'll still use those tricks.

Nov 3, 2012
I don't remember what my FIRST was, but among my first's was a card trick where you counted the cards in three piles, and after doing that three times you were able to tell what card they had chosen. Took me ages to get it right, and that's pretty much all I remember.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Chicago opener and Jumping Gemini. I still do a modified version of CO but can't remember Jumping Gemini.

Apr 17, 2013
The first thing I learned was Crazy Man's Handcuffs. My mentor taught it to me three weeks after I started asking him to teach me. It was a month before I did it for him, another two months before I did it for the Ring.

Jul 22, 2013
California
The first thing I learned was Crazy Man's Handcuffs. My mentor taught it to me three weeks after I started asking him to teach me. It was a month before I did it for him, another two months before I did it for the Ring.

I know this sounds very amateurish, but what is the Ring? I have seen a few posts referencing the Ring, and I have no idea what it is.

Aug 30, 2012
My first trick was the classic color change. Then I started working on some false shuffles and cuts. Haven't stopped since.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Now i feel odd because the first three things I learned were non-card effects.

The trick I learned after those was Crazy Man's Handcuffs. I learned card tricks because I started magic due to the girl I was dating at the time. She did a semester in Mexico, I was bored and I'd already cleaned the apartment as well as it could go. So I picked up two card tricks to show her when she got home. The magic stayed, the girl is gone.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results