best tricks to perform surrounded

May 9, 2013
hey guys whats your best tricks to perform fully surrounded like in a party environment? i am going to a family party and i want to perform their. and plesse dont tell me only 1 or 2 tricks i want to perform many tricks their and i have about 15 to 20 days to practice them!

Sep 1, 2007
i want to perform many tricks... i have about 15 to 20 days to practice them!

You're **** out of luck, then. Three weeks to prepare? I could see getting maybe 2 or 3 ready if you put your nose to the grindstone. "Many?" Yeah, no.

May 9, 2013
no i think you are out of your mind i am doing magic for a year now and i have many skills i practice magic for 6 hours a day and i can say now that if i want learn or master a intermediate trick i will not take more than a week for me. and i am not going to perform tricks i will learn now i already mastered many tricks. watch your fingers before typing buddy. dont judge me

Sep 1, 2007
no i think you are out of your mind i am doing magic for a year

Since you chose to open that can of worms, I've been performing for paying audiences and busking since 2007. I've done shows at a Harry Potter release party, Business Networking International, and Pittsburgh Comicon among others. Hell, the Comicon show took 6 months of rehearsal. See that picture of me next to my name? That's me on the left at the Pittsburgh Horror Film Festival in 2011 where I did two seances.

i practice magic for 6 hours a day and i can say now that if i want learn or master a intermediate trick i will not take more than a week for me.

Uh huh. And when are you finding time to perform all this?

and i am not going to perform tricks i will learn now i already mastered many tricks.

If you know so many, then why are you asking for more?

watch your fingers before typing buddy. dont judge me

You really are new here.

Jul 22, 2013
California
If you want to perform tricks that you already know and not have to try to master new ones, I would suggest just getting them to stay in front of you. Perhaps performing with your back against a wall, or just asking them to sit in front of you at a table. I would also do a search for crowd magic

Sep 1, 2007
If you want to perform tricks that you already know and not have to try to master new ones, I would suggest just getting them to stay in front of you. Perhaps performing with your back against a wall, or just asking them to sit in front of you at a table.

On that note, I attended a Jon Stetson lecture in 2010 where he showed me the eight most powerful words a magician can ever say for the purpose of crowd control: "Come over here, you'll get a better view." Yes, it really is that obvious, and yes, it really does work.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
no i think you are out of your mind i am doing magic for a year now and i have many skills i practice magic for 6 hours a day and i can say now that if i want learn or master a intermediate trick i will not take more than a week for me. and i am not going to perform tricks i will learn now i already mastered many tricks. watch your fingers before typing buddy. dont judge me

I'm curious to see what your definition of "master" is. I don't really even feel like pointing out the amount of flaws in your statement, as I feel like you're too stubborn to acknowledge them.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't really even feel like pointing out the amount of flaws in your statement,

Logical flaws or grammatical flaws? I don't like to harp on the latter because I don't want to accidentally insult a non-native speaker of English by assuming they're a kid who thinks that without an English teacher hovering over his shoulder he's free to type with his elbows. On the other hand, if he actually is a kid who sees no problem with communicating like he's just taken a fistful of quaaludes...

May 9, 2013
come on man i just asked the tricks that you can perform surrounded and if you really want to answer my question you can you can just said that the tricks you like to perform surrounded and its my problem if i can practice them at the point where i can perform for a real audience. and i am 17 years old

Jul 23, 2013
Typing with his elbows, that made me chuckle.

Anyhow, returning to the OP's rather big headed request, perhaps some self workers would be the best thing to look at given the relatively small time frame you have to practise them.

Though if you really are the messiah that you seem to be then that whole wine to water thing will probably go down a treat.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Just get Liberty II by Eric Jones - you can perform all of these effects completely surrounded.
You won't master any of these effects in 3 weeks, but if you are as good as you think you will be able
to perform one or two of these without getting caught...

Though if you really are the messiah that you seem to be then that whole wine to water thing will probably go down a treat.

Well, this made me chuckle ;)

Sep 1, 2007
come on man i just asked the tricks that you can perform surrounded and if you really want to answer my question you can you can just said that the tricks you like to perform surrounded and its my problem if i can practice them at the point where i can perform for a real audience. and i am 17 years old

Oh, so upon the realization that you're mouthing off to a guy with at least 5 years of experience on you, now you want to have a civil conversation.

Honestly, if you can't control a crowd, no amount of tricks is going to help you. Learn how to perform and get back to me when you actually know what you're talking about.

Jul 22, 2013
California
...Honestly, if you can't control a crowd, no amount of tricks is going to help you. Learn how to perform and get back to me when you actually know what you're talking about.
This is so true. Honestly, unless you are doing stage magic on a circular, surrounded stage, nobody should EVER be behind you. I mean, people will naturally go in front of you, because if they are behind you, they won't witness the trick, just (and this is just a slight possibility) the way you did it. Non- angle sensitive magic is pretty good, but a lot of the most powerful magic has some severe angle restrictions. Crowd control, crowd control, and fun :) major things you need to have.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Oh, so upon the realization that you're mouthing off to a guy with at least 5 years of experience on you, now you want to have a civil conversation.

Honestly, if you can't control a crowd, no amount of tricks is going to help you. Learn how to perform and get back to me when you actually know what you're talking about.
Answer his question or don't. He didn't come here for a lecture.

a lot of the most powerful magic has some severe angle restrictions.
Absolute nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Logical flaws or grammatical flaws? I don't like to harp on the latter because I don't want to accidentally insult a non-native speaker of English by assuming they're a kid who thinks that without an English teacher hovering over his shoulder he's free to type with his elbows. On the other hand, if he actually is a kid who sees no problem with communicating like he's just taken a fistful of quaaludes...

Oh, logical flaws. Definitely not picking at spelling problems or anything.

Sep 1, 2007
Answer his question or don't. He didn't come here for a lecture.

And I didn't come here to have some random tell me what is and is not my business. But hey, here you are! Guess we can't get everything we want, huh? On that note, I don't see you rushing to answer the question either. At least my advice was useful.

Absolute nonsense.

Is that a fact? You want to actually develop that thought or are you just going to re-enact the argument clinic sketch from Monty Python for the rest of the thread? If it's the former, please elaborate. No one can defend themselves when they're unclear on what the counter-claim is. If it's the latter, kindly shag off and quit wasting everybody's time.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
On that note, I don't see you rushing to answer the question either. At least my advice was useful.
I didn't post to answer the question, nor am I intending on contributing to the intended topic. The closest thing you have offered to advice is the comment about the 8 most powerful words and it comes across more of a statement that you attended a lecture than anything helpful, not to mention the fact that it's totally irrelevant to the simple question the poor guy asked.

Is that a fact? You want to actually develop that thought or are you just going to re-enact the argument clinic sketch from Monty Python for the rest of the thread? If it's the former, please elaborate. No one can defend themselves when they're unclear on what the counter-claim is. If it's the latter, kindly shag off and quit wasting everybody's time.
If you need the thought developing then you still have a long way to go. I will oblige though and clarify that "a lot of the most powerful magic has the most severe angle restrictions" is totally wrong. There is plenty of very powerful magic that has minimal or no angle considerations, but I guess that's the developing attitude of young performers that are growing up on TV and YouTube magic.

Jul 22, 2013
California
I will oblige though and clarify that "a lot of the most powerful magic has the most severe angle restrictions" is totally wrong. There is plenty of very powerful magic that has minimal or no angle considerations, but I guess that's the developing attitude of young performers that are growing up on TV and YouTube magic.
You're right, my apologies. I meant to say some of the magic. But now that I think about it, the most powerful magic happens in their hands. So... Yeah, I was wrong. Haha although I would like to say that I grew up on simple magic performed by my uncles, and most recently, my acquaintance who performs at the Magic Castle. Altogether, this led me to learn magic. I hope this doesn't start some sort of argument, I just figured I'd put that in :)

Sep 1, 2007
I didn't post to answer the question, nor am I intending on contributing to the intended topic.

Exactly, I'm being more useful than you are. We're in agreement.

The closest thing you have offered to advice is the comment about the 8 most powerful words and it comes across more of a statement that you attended a lecture than anything helpful, not to mention the fact that it's totally irrelevant to the simple question the poor guy asked.

If you're talking **** on Jon Stetson then we're going to have a problem.

Are you seriously going to attempt to argue that I'm wrong about crowd control being more important than knowing a crap-load of tricks?

If you need the thought developing then you still have a long way to go.

Ooh, taking the kid gloves off now, are we?

I will oblige though and clarify that "a lot of the most powerful magic has the most severe angle restrictions" is totally wrong. There is plenty of very powerful magic that has minimal or no angle considerations, but I guess that's the developing attitude of young performers that are growing up on TV and YouTube magic.

So there is a lot of magic that has no angle restrictions. I noticed that is not an absolutist statement. But neither was the one you were attempting to refute.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and guess in that thought equation of yours, stage illusions never factored into it. Or are we now assuming that stage illusions no longer count?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results